Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Carowinds announced their preview day on Facebook. But KD hasn't done so yet. But the same site as before is sharing this. I personally haven't received any emails from the park about this event.

The preview day at KD is now verified. I got an email this morning that says it:

"Kings Dominion is having a passholder preview event on May 16th (Sunday) from noon to 6 PM"
“we're saying thank you to our passholders with surprises just for you.”
"Reservations will open April 26 at 11:30 AM"

A bit of an important note, though, on the KD Passholder Preview day. On Instagram they said, “Enjoy some of your park favorites“. My emphasis. So it seems that not everything will be open, and they so far aren't saying what will be open. If it turns out that any coasters will be closed, of they never say what will be open, I'll probably skip it.

I'm more curious what passholder only perks they're giving away given that's part of their speil.

To be fair, even in normal years I don't spend more than maybe half a day in the park after having rode most rides - I'll just be happy I can go again even if only TT and maybe Dominator is open.

Reactions: warfelg
I'm more curious what passholder only perks they're giving away given that's part of their speil.

To be fair, even in normal years I don't spend more than maybe half a day in the park after having rode most rides - I'll just be happy I can go again even if only TT and maybe Dominator is open.

Well for me it's a bit of a drive, and, coming from the south, parts of the drive can be miserable (though on a Sunday probably not too bad, admittedly), so if any key coasters aren't open I'd be less interested in going then and would prefer to wait until they are all open.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Well for me it's a bit of a drive, and, coming from the south, parts of the drive can be miserable (though on a Sunday probably not too bad, admittedly), so if any key coasters aren't open I'd be less interested in going then and would prefer to wait until they are all open.

It is going to be the first day of somewhat normal operations in over a year, my guess is it'll be a bit of a cluster for the first few operating weeks as even seasoned veteran employees may take a little while to get dialed back in.

I think passholder preview day may fill up:
F3EAF772-741B-47F3-B253-DDE96F54EE66.jpeg

Edited to make it a thumbnail instead of a ridiculously huge screenshot.

Last edited:
ouch, glad I went in there and got my reservation at 11:15am, before they officially opened up.

I didn't pick a specific day yet. This is just to get into the site. So I suppose people could be picking days further in the future.

Today was good except for getting in was the longest line I've seen there and 25-30 minutes, arriving around 12:40.

Liberal mask policy was in effect, although I didn't see it stated anywhere. Some places had signs you need masks indoors, as well as social distancing reminders at queues and some other places. A little more than half walking around were wearing masks, except by the end.

It was so good to get back to Timbers, went straight in little wait. Last rides of the day were a little longer, but they had taken a train off. I'm preferring the middle rows now, the airtime can hurt too much. Maybe I'll toughen up.

Grizzly has seemingly random pieces of new wood, track supports , steps, railings you name it, not a huge amount but it did the trick. Pretty darn smooth right now. Racer has one spot of new track on both sides, although they weren't racing today (please!). I even spotted new looking wood on Timbers, 2 bottom sections of a vertical vertical support in the first airtime hill.

I305 I missed even more and took 8 rides in total, half rerides. Was raining very lightly on one. Don't miss waiting for the restraint pressure to release though. Anaconda was as crazy as ever and maybe even a tad less rough at The Spot. FoF was running but I heard they weren't filling trains and the wait was 90 minutes. Backlot also had too big a line for me.

There's a fence blocking the Crypt etc. area but past some benches back there, making for a relaxing spot. Rough looking through gaps in the fence.

Food lines were long near the front of the park. Country Kitchen was running both lines. I had the pulled pork, all the better to try the slaw, which was good but not quite Chef Paul's. The meat could have been warmer but was more than you got on a sandwich (they weighed it). You only get one side though now and I didn't see the traditional mashed potatoes. The cornbread muffin was sweet like Cedar Point's, wonderful, but didn't see any butter or quite enough heat to melt it. The brisket looked good and generous and they also have smoked chicken, both of which I look forward to. A few snack places were closed.

The former smoking areas looked forlorn, without even a bench for anyone to sit on and usually dead empty, like there's no reason for them not to resume their former purpose. A nice change is they weren't playing any recorded messages including "For the comfort of all guests ..." for which the math makes no sense unless some of us are no longer guests.

Impressive riser on the main stage but I didn't see any of the show.

Exhausted.

The crowds seemed a lot worse than they were when the park first opened. Lines stretched to the picnic tables to get into the park today. I got in line about 11:55a and I got in the park about 12:20p-ish. I was pleasantly surprised to see they were handing out free I305 10 year anniversary pins and free caricature drawings. They also had free samples for the two new restaurants.

Ride waits were great as well- depending on the time of day, they ranged from walk-on to 5-10 minutes with the exception of Flight of Fear and Twisted. Flight of Fear was running every other row (because it is an indoor attraction), so naturally they had a bit longer of a wait. Twisted Timber's line will become better as more guests can get used to the new flow and operators get can get accustomed to the new procedures. My first ride I waited about 10 minutes (this included the front row) and my second ride was 30 minutes (the line was at the start of the switch backs in the mid-field). Judging wait time is different now because after you're done with the metal detectors- the wait is practically a walk on. But hopefully they can get operations sped up a bit so trains are sent out without any empty rows.

I was also pleasantly surprised by staffing. Every ride and attraction was open with the exception of WindSeeker and Eiffel Tower. All rides ran 2 trains (except TT at the end) at the beginning of the day. Also, some rides were running 4 operators on the floor (minimum is usually 2 operators). I'm sure this will change once Soak City opens as rides staff will be reduced again. As far as restaurants, I only went to Dogwood and Grains and Grill, but they had a lot of people working. But, I'm not sure how the rest of the park looked. Both Dogwood and Grain and Grill's line moved fast (Dogwood was a bit slower - it seemed they were having a tough time getting food prepared), but slowed down near the register. But all of the food was prepped and didn't have any delays being plated.
PreviewDay1.jpg PreviewDay2.jpg PreviewDay3.jpg PreviewDay4.jpg PreviewDay5.jpg TwistedPin.jpg

Man, I guess we were too late for the pins? We didn’t get them. :( Was wondering what happened there. Maybe they forgot to give us ours. Oh well. I posted a trip report, but in regular KD trip reports. I guess it should be moved here.

• Sad
Reactions: I305Evan
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad