Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

SDG

Jul 21, 2013
I'm taking one's advice and using this to dump random info. Feel free to move it wherever but I'm just getting exhausted trying to track down which thread each little tid bit should go in. I'm posting in rumors just to cover myself and of course any news can change tomorrow but here it is.

RE: SGD Informing You

There is news that ALL outdoor shows for CT have been slashed and maybe Miracles in Italy. This is due to inclement weather. HOS is still up in the air but DIU may be cut. Scare zones and mazes with a lot of new people will stay. There is another rumor of another conglomerate looking at purchasing BGW. The continuing budget cuts are because SeaWorld is NOT going to pour any more money into BG. That being said there is always the slight chance that Blackstone will be more involved now in cutting management since going public means they will make money now. Or learn that they are going to lose money and need to sell. Just a different perspective about how investors work.

This-is-gonna-be-good.gif

Miracles is by far my favorite for CT. This would be awful. Now why else would I buy that hot chocolate to sit and watch an outside show?

Curious, what inclement weather can be forecast accurately this much in advance? I'll bet this "storm" has three initials. :p

If they cut DIU, I want that big dinosaur for my porch.

Miracles is a crowd favorite among many park goers; myself included. I enjoyed the show because it was outside; I nestled up with hot chocolate and felt inspired by the music, the message, and amazing vocals and dancers.

Nothing ruins the Christmas spirit than a darkened stage off to the side. It will be one depressing walk through Italy should the show get cut with nothing to replace it.

Lyrics from Miracles: "Now nothing can stop me. I believe in the power that comes,from a world brought together as one. I believe together we'll fly. I believe in the power of you and I"

Until the show is cut. If that happens.. "I believe" that Christmas Town will lose part of the magic that makes it so special.

[split] I'm Done

I understand both sides of the issues and how one can argue the GP loves it and hates it all at the same time bla bla bla...

What most people fail to realize is a term called "Diminishing Returns". Now I can't blame most people since they don't have the numbers and dollar signs listed on the crap they see in the park but any reasonable person has to ask the question how can the park possibly be making more money than they are spending. The truth is they are not. So you could even say every idea they have had is perfect but when they are going into the red then you would still have to criticize their business model and decisions. Which makes them wrong and losing site of what the park needs despite if the entire GP loved it.

But that's not the case and so many people are upset and not coming to the park for a reason. I'm not even going to say they are all bad ideas but they have no idea how to implement their good ideas which makes it bad. Nothing is cost effective. So you can say the GP loves it all you want to but the fact that their actions are causing cutbacks, layoffs and the park no longer being a good investment for its owners is enough to prove that none of it is a good decision. If it's not broke then don't fix it. The park had a business model that worked for thirty odd years. A formula that kept people coming back year after year.

There is a reason people buy a season pass. It's to relive the same experience again and share it with loved ones that haven't seen it yet. For those that don't come every year well then they will see it as a brand new experience. You can change a couple of things from year to year but not the entire park to "keep it fresh".

It is not cost effective and soon you run yourself into a hole and can't produce a quality product. And then people say "remember when". They put no value on the employee and what they bring to the guest experience. And here is a bigger secret. Most corporations don't care what the GP thinks. They have their own agenda and egos and will do things the way they see fit.

RE: I'm Done

I don't know that I'd say *most* businesses don't care what the GP (or customer base) thinks. I think they care about it by proxy: what makes money and what doesn't. A problem with business right now (which starts in business school) is that short-term shareholder value is being emphasized over long term profit stability. I actually just read a long WSJ article about this very same thing.

You can increase shareholder value by using complicated pricing schemes to get people to buy things they don't need, cutting services to increase the bottom line, etc., but that's all short-term value. As customers become disgruntled with the sharp practices, long term value drops off.

If the owners are interested in flipping the shares, they may not care about long term value. That's common these days. So one might say, the owners care deeply about what the GP thinks, up to and until they've paid to get in. After that, who cares?

I think that Busch Gardens has proven itself a marketable concept over 30+ years in the area. If Blackstone or SW or whoever screws it up, they'll sell, and eventually, someone with business sense for this market and this situation will pick it up and do it right.

[split] I'm Done

I fell in love with the park ALL over again when we were there this past weekend. Something about seeing my kids enjoy themselves just made it all worth it. The magic of how Elmo made my son smile, and how Whirly Worms was the only ride he enjoyed. Also, seeing my daughter just laugh and laugh while we rode. Also, meeting new friends and just talking. It did make it feel like a 2nd home to us. I hate that people are losing their passion for something that they loved for SO long, but as time goes on, things do change. Whether it's for the bad or for the good, everything changes. I mean.. as I stood on the bridge looking over at Verbolten, very good memories of riding the BBW came to mind, and made me smile/tear up at the same time. If you really love something, you just have to take the good with the bad, because eventually, it will all even itself out.

So more inhouse casting calls are going out. They are rescinding a lot of contracts from performers that were guaranteed HOS and CT positions. Some are getting offered other nonperforming spots that are less hours and much less pay rate. Can only assume that they are pulling in a lot of outside talent. I can tell you each and every name but I won't for safety sake.

It bothers me that there are a lot of defenders out there that say change happens and you have to roll with it. I agree with you and I'm not going to like it all but yes you have to learn acceptance. BUT...when everyone "in their right mind" can see that certain change equals bad biz, layoffs, and oppression of workers that eventually leads to being unprofitable and a sale has to happen to bail them out, then all of the "change" "was" and "is" wrong and unjustifiable.

TWO QUESTIONS

Is there any chatter on the Tampa Busch site about a Busch sale?

Who is looking at Busch to buy it?

SDG said:
It bothers me that there are a lot of defenders out there that say change happens and you have to roll with it. I agree with you and I'm not going to like it all but yes you have to learn acceptance. BUT...when everyone "in their right mind" can see that certain change equals bad biz, layoffs, and oppression of workers that eventually leads to being unprofitable and a sale has to happen to bail them out, then all of the "change" "was" and "is" wrong and unjustifiable.

I hope you don't take my acceptance of the situation as indifference. I think it sucks that things have been so poorly managed that Busch Gardens, a place from which I have tons of great memories, is having to go through cost-cutting and sale rumors and a fall in the eyes of the public. I personally just think that if they're going to ruin the place, it's better to just be rid of them. So it may seem like I don't care about it...but that's far from the truth. I do care. I think most people here do. I know that I, personally, am just the kind of person who wants to get on with it.

Just wanted to make the public aware of a few expenditures:

Cloktoberfest: $250,000, rotting in storage

T-rex: $20,000+-, possibly cut this year but after it's 2nd year you know it will have no use anymore. Would have been a lot more money if they got it to move and talk.

Gingerbread men: $8,000 x 8 costumes. Where are they now?

Ticket sales at the door to watch these shows: $0.00

Actually about four or so of the Gingerbread costumes are used in Holidy Hills for Christmas Town.

While I do think they overspend wildly, it shouldn't be unexpected that these sets cost so much. However if they cost so much they should just keep using them for three to five years to justify the expense.

Reactions: Celticdog
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad