Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 18, 2018
I figured I would get this thread started as the SCarowinds website has started to get updated with new information.

While specifics aren't released yet the SCarowinds landing page confirms 5 houses, 6 scare zones, and multiple shows, it also specifically mentions a show called Conjure the Night. I assume this is the parade.

Overall, I am very excited for this year, even if there isn't a new maze. The decrease in scare zones is something I've been clamoring for since 2019. The park isn't big enough and the event isn't staffed enough to boast 8 scare zones on top of the houses. Not to mention a full Halloween parade will be great to see whether it runs day or night.

Everything has been released for SCarowinds 2023. There are no new houses for this season, but there is a new scare zone, Harvest Fear. And in a shocking twist there is not one, but two parades. The Tricks and Treats Parade will run during the day during The Great Pumpkin Fest. The Procession of Nightmares Parade will run during SCarowinds.

I am excited to what the parades will look like, but I am anxiously waiting to see what the operation for the SCarowinds parade will look like. Especially because it is during the first 30 minutes of the events start.

Jesus, that sounds like such a logistical nightmare. Who thought that through?

Visited this weekend. Scare zones remain fun. They're light on scares and heavy on character interactions, which isn't bad, just interesting. I did see the parade. It’s fun, but it seemed like most people weren't watching it, just trying to get around it to make it to a ride or house before the crowds got heavy. On a different note. The park is decked out this year. There is some kind of Halloween decorations in almost every corner of the park. And the amount of fog used this year covers the areas that aren't decorated. I seriously have never seen this much fog at an event before. The staffing was also back to levels we expect from these events.

Paranormal Inc.- Remains a great house. Actors are great. Sets are great. Costumes are great. Effects are great. Can’t say much more than that.

Tooth Fairy- I love that they continue to evolve this house year after year, especially considering it was a rush job done in a matter weeks as a result of Covid and the park wanting to stray away from Urgent Scare in the climate of 2021. There were all kinds of new additions for 2023. And the size of the cast was great.

Depths of Darkness- Actors did their best. This house is just a bummer to me. They took one of the greatest houses ever (DefeX) and replaced it with this cheap, low-budget house with a story that is all over the place. Not to mention it’s by far our biggest location for houses. This building is huge and wasted on a blackout house.

Slaughterhouse- Still a visually impressive house. It’s getting long in the tooth, but a handful of new additions and a cast that is both large and feral helps this house to stay fresh for this year. I’m torn because this house is almost 10 years old and I would love a replacement. But slaughterhouse, both iterations, are such staples of the event. I think it just needs some new scenes to extend its longevity. An “oven” scene similar to the one BGT had for Simons Slaughterhouse would be amazing.

Silver Scream Studios- A house that has been largely unchanged for almost 20 years (not even kidding. This house opened as The Dream Factory in 2007 and has remained largely the same since). Anyways, the house has nothing new and the cast was maybe 15 people. But don’t be fooled. These were clearly the best monsters of the night. Creative hiding. Creative lines and character development. Clearly, these people knew they were cast in the underdog house and were determined to show guests that this house isn't something to be underestimated anymore. You could tell these people were working with what they were given and succeeding tremendously. The energy the cast had at the end of the night on a crowded weekend was palpable. Now, the house isn’t perfect, it’s got some age on the sets and apparently, the vortex tunnel has just completely broken down, but it's probably my favorite overall this year. It was by far the scariest. I genuinely think this is the last year for this haunt and the cast is doing something amazing to send it off into the history books!

Overall, another step in the right direction for SCarowinds. They have clearly listened to guest feedback over the years and are working to get this event back to its former glory. That said, a new house is much-needed for next year. The event is also in need of six houses. Even if that means another “new” boring corn maze. Its still a way to help alleviate the crowds. I can't wait to see what the park does for SCarowinds 2024!

A blackout house is a maze essentially completely in the dark. They will sometimes add strobes or other bright lights in a room to prevent your eyes from adjusting, however.

How they handle the scares varies. The actors can use sounds and air blasts and other startles that don't require that they touch you or that you can see them. I believe they sometimes are given night vision.

Because you can't see anything, in theory you are more nervous both because you have no way to know when or where a threat may emerge and because you can't see the path.

In my experience they have been implemented with varying degrees of success.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad