Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
I just got word that 2 keepers were laid off at BGW and that there may have been a round of lay-offs Seas wide. Has anyone heard anything that can corroborate that? (the Keeper Layoff are from a solid source)

1446 Update: Source is uncertain if it was BGW or BGT, we are finding clarification

Last edited:
In talking with people I know there are no corporate level layoffs. Could just be a park or parks trimming some staff. Mostly seems to be Zoo people at the SeaWorld parks but who really knows. Everyone I know at BGW says that no one is gone there and they haven't heard anything about corporate layoffs.

The timing is weird. Typically SEAS like to do it during the week.

I'm not saying it isn't a big deal just that it isn't corporate level layoffs. More just a couple of parks are cutting a few people because they had gotten too big/didn't need them anymore. I also don't believe that it was 91 people. The only person I've talked to from BGW who even knew anything about it said that they only heard about a handful of people.

It is confirmed there were some layoffs yesterday. They were to improve efficiency allegedly. These kinds of restructuring are actually fairly normal in corporations. Departments get restructured because they've gotten to big and aren't as efficient. It sucks for the employees but this was clearly not a large scale layoff. SEAS is very much focused on streamlining it's offices and departments and getting rid of redundant positions.

I found another article that puts the number at 125+ across the 12 parks:

That article doesn't say anywhere that I could see the number of people that were laid off. There's a note that says an earlier version had an incorrect count of the number of layoffs.

Everyone I have talked to at BGW either hadn't heard or said that no one from BGW were effected and that it was not a large number of people company wide.

Edit: another thing about the article they said that the company released it's quarterly earnings today. I can't find anything about them anywhere. So my guess would be that they were lazy and used the same article as last August and didn't change some pieces.

Last edited:
That article doesn't say anywhere that I could see the number of people that were laid off. There's a note that says an earlier version have an incorrect count of the number of layoffs.

Everyone I have talked to at BGW either hadn't heard or said that no one from BGW were effected and that it was not a large number of people company wide.

Oops you're right. I had seen this article earlier today and took down the URL so that I could see if there was an appropriate place to post it. I didn't reread the article prior to posting it so I didn't notice that the number had been stripped.

Reactions: BGWnut
Oops you're right. I had seen this article earlier today and took down the URL so that I could see if there was an appropriate place to post it. I didn't reread the article prior to posting it so I didn't notice that the number had been stripped.
That's what I figured haha. I really think they were just being lazy and reused the article from August and just changed some portions.

SEAS had brought in an efficiency team to determine what can be cut.. continue to expect layoffs.. the team is still around.

That team isn't a new thing. I wouldn't expect large scale layoffs. More of the restructuring kind like these last ones were.

That team isn't a new thing. I wouldn't expect large scale layoffs. More of the restructuring kind like these last ones were.

Yea, streamlining is an important part of any business.

My friend is a head accountant at a hospital. They used to have a department for billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, benefits payments. They streamlines and rolled payroll and benefits payments into one department because payroll literally worked part time as did benefits payments. Billing and accounts receivable became one department because again, many duties overlapped. Sure that restructure meant that 40 people were let go, but instead of 5 30 person departments with 150 people, they had 3 35 person departments with 110 people.

Reactions: BGWnut
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad