Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
At that point in the spike the horizontal forces are minimal comparative to the vertical forces, hence not really needing any supports to counter the forces exerted by the train traveling up the spike.

This ^^^ and most likely the train will barely reach above the point where the spine ends.

Also, regarding the "leaning tower of Pantheon" pictures, my gut tells me its actually your eyes playing a trick on you because the spine ends about 30-40 feet before the end of the track and thus they are trying to follow the same line of sight all the way up or something like that. Soaring With Dragon actually has the spine all the way up.

Reactions: Jason
I drew a straight line on a couple angles with Paint, looks like it's actually curved slightly. I'm curious from what point it starts curving, and how intentional it is.

Reactions: Lcucu3
I am no physicist but maybe it’s curved slightly to relieve stress on the track/support? Maybe perhaps give a slight curve for the forward momentum to launch ? I am sure there is some engineering method behind it versus a “oops” on construction; or maybe it got bent in transit ?

I doubt it'll happen but I suppose that Intamin could remanufacture a piece with a spine for that spot if they thought it needed it.

It's probably because I'm old, but i don't see the bend you all are talking about. Anyone care to point it out with an arrow or something?

there is a slight bend in the track at the part where it no longer has the spline supporting it. It bends so that the top of the track is roughly over the spline at its tip.

That's definitely not a design choice, you don't gain anything from having it bend that way. That being said, it doesn't really matter, and in no way compromises any structural integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad