Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Penguine One

dialogue from a SWP&E marketing team meeting.

exec 1: How about TV?
head exec: Too common.
exec 1: how about Radio?
exec 2: Who listens to that anymore? Why can't we do billboards?
exec 1: Billboards? This isn't the 1920's!
*obviously drunk exec #3 comes in late*
exec 3: Yo guys, I just spent the budget on a PLANE! Let's turn it into a giant flying penguin!
head exec: PERFECT, here's a promotion for your genius!

Next in the line: Verbolten One. :p That honestly is a great idea. I think it looks cool, and how cool would it be to fly in a plane with penguins on the outside. :D

This isn't anything new, people have been doing this for decades. It gets people talking about the attraction and use the plane itself in marketing.

Zachary said:
I found the chain's marketing budget!

Nope!!!

SeaWorld and SWA have been doing this for over 25 years (since May 1988) and this was LONG before the airline became the huge national brand that it is today. They have a joint-venture as far as marketing goes. The new Penguin One is the 4th plane in the fleet to get SeaWorld treatment (there are three other Shamu planes).

Here's a quote from this USA Today article from October 2011.

"Southwest tries "not to hit customers with too many advertising messages," says spokeswoman Ashley Dillon. "Our goal is to keep the messages travel-related and focused on Southwest products."

The airline has a long-term partnership with SeaWorld, and three airplanes painted with Shamu, a killer whale. In the past, Southwest painted a Slam Dunk One aircraft for the National Basketball Association and other aircraft for states it served.

Southwest and JetBlue say their planes are painted only for marketing partners and sponsors, and no ad space is for sale on the exterior of their jets.
"

Hoopla said:
Next in the line: Verbolten One. :p That honestly is a great idea. I think it looks cool, and how cool would it be to fly in a plane with penguins on the outside. :D

I've flown in one of the Shamu planes from BWI to Norfolk about 5 years ago. I had no idea I was gonna be on the plane until tons of people started flocking to my gate to look out the window to see it pull up.

It's a great marketing tool since the planes don't fly any specific route as the airline pretty much sends every plane in their fleet to every city they service.

This is marketing gold compared to BGW's marketing. If only they can get their act together.

Hoopla said:

Oh that sounds cool!! :)

Party Rocker said:
Do they theme the interior too? That'd be really neat if they did.

Unfortunately, no. Only the exterior gets the artwork.

The planes do get a lot of fanfare as is. The reaction of people seeing it is priceless.

One thing to note here - there are only three SeaWorld Planes in the Southwest Fleet. Not four as I stated earlier. Shamu One, the first plane in the SWA Fleet to get the SeaWorld treatment was recently retired so its replacement is Penguin One.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad