Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Here’s part of the justification for this concept in my mind that didn’t go into the article:

After COVID passes, BGW will NEED a nice lineup of indoor entertainment to make these events work. Winter Weekends solves this well by having internal zoology department and contracted third party animal handlers that can do stage presentations. I can imagine one of these in each of the three primary indoor theaters in future years.

When we get to Mardi Gras though... What direction is BGW supposed to go in for indoor stage-bound entertainment? Mardi Gras is an outdoor, street-bound holiday. It doesn’t really lend itself to theatrical entertainment. Even the one indoor show we had this year really wasn’t even remotely Mardi Gras.

That’s what initially set my mind on “maybe BGW needs to find a new theme here...”

Unlike Mardi Gras, there are damn near endless options for stage entertainment at a Renaissance festival event—many of which have been mentioned by @Nicole in the main article or by others in this thread already.

That said, to add a little color to one of my favorite pitches: I really want a campy Shakespeare puppet show. BGW has a long puppet show heritage but hasn’t actually performed one in ages now. In addition to being entirely unique in BGW’s modern, year-log show catalog, a puppet production like this could be small and cheap while still being very entertaining to a wide range of audiences. Not to mention that it would just be delightful Renaissance Faire-style nostalgia.

Other indoor stage entertainment I’d consider top tier contenders: A music show featuring Renaissance-era instruments. Think a Renaissance version of EPCOT’s Biergarten show—a mix of live music and information about the old, now-uncommon instruments used in the show. The third indoor theater should probably host a magician or circus-esque act. Either would be huge hits.

Outdoors, I am a HUGE proponent of zoology running a falconry show—it would work perfectly for both Winter Weekends and this proposal. I’m amused by the prospect of small fencing or archery demonstrations, but I don’t know how feasible they are. Roaming bards, fire jugglers, characters, etc are the most essential part though on this front IMO.

Last edited:
BGW has a long puppet show heritage but hasn’t actually performed one in ages now.

Well, I guess I might as well mention London Rocks for the third time in this thread.

Seriously though, a robust indoor entertainment lineup is a great idea. There could be a really diverse lineup of animal shows, musical shows, skill-based shows (like sword duels or something), puppet shows... the list goes on.

A Shakespeare show at the Globe would be so perfect I would faint and a knight sword duel outdoor show would be neat. This Renaissance Faire event is so perfect for BGW it's shocking to me that they haven't attempted one that I know of.

I LOVE the idea. Anything that reroutes BGW's attention back to the Olde Country is fine by me, to begin with, but this is also a very interesting idea that I think would be very well-received. I know I would make the trip just for this event.

Depending on how long the event runs for the park could move the membership preview day to late March or early April as there's no sense in having it during the event and also with year round ops it no longer signals the start of the new operating season.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
While I certainly agree a Threadneedle Faire event better fits the theme of the overall park, I think it serves too much of a niche audience during a month where the elements are already stacked against having a successful attendance (colder weather, limited attractions open). If the event was run during a month where all of the regular attractions could be open (March or April) it probably would draw sufficient attendance to the park.

An event centered around live performances and demonstrations and assumingly requiring a lot of outside vendor/contractor participation is likely too much of a gamble whereas an event centered around booze and "specialty" food is much less of a financial risk. If the booze doesn't sell, you save it for another day, if the food isn't selling, you can prepare less. Paying roaming bards, fire jugglers, and other renaissance reenactors (which for a temporary gig would likely be more expensive) is a significant financial wager that could cost the park a lot of money if the event was not well attended.

Busch Gardens has enough trouble nowadays getting or funding a sufficient amount of people capable of jumping out from behind a garbage can and yelling "boo!" for 5 hours. I am doubtful they would be able to an event like this justice unless they let an organization that runs their own renaissance fairs spearhead the event/share profit.

Reactions: wombat96
Depending on how long the event runs for the park could move the membership preview day to late March or early April as there's no sense in having it during the event and also with year round ops it no longer signals the start of the new operating season.

I think with year long operations I’d like to see a member only day randomly within the first two weeks of each event/season.

So the winter event, spring, summer, HOS, CT gives you 5 “member only” days. If they add something like a townhall in RPT with Kevin, park retrospect in FH, and a “how they work” in another theater; you give the added benefit of “exclusive” things those days you can’t get in regular operating days.

Some interesting ideas. The old Threadneedle was very much outdoor though and for Jan/Feb especially, there's going to have to be a focus on indoor activities. That should not be an issue by next year. Personally, we enjoyed Mardi Gras despite it being too cold for coasters and being a questionable fit mainly because we were so desperate to get out and do something "normal" even if we just rode the bumper cars 20 time and the catapult (how many here remember when it used to be located inside the building that's now Castle O'Sullivan? Or better yet being delighted as a kid riding the Glissade? :) ) . By next year, I don't think that's going to cut it. I do really miss "The Olde Country" days. It's not gone but it's not what it used to be.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad