Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 10, 2014
The latest update tonight on the track of Hurricane Ian unfortunately looks very bad for the Tampa area. Looking at Google Maps, I think BGT is far enough inland to avoid storm surge flooding but not entirely sure. Can anyone weigh in? Assuming we will also see the park announce it's closing for a few days given the impending storm very soon.

Hoping everyone down in Tampa stays safe over the next few days!

BGT closed today.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Not surprised, but they should have announced this yesterday when they announced the Wednesday and Thursday closing, given that evacuation orders were already in place and it was evident the storm will likely make landfall in Tampa. I doubt anyone was planning to visit the park today, so to unnecessarily bring all park employees into work this morning was illogical at best.

I add that as of this morning ACE has said they are watching the weather and talking to KD about Saturday event it sounds like a strong possibility of a cancellation or postponement.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Orlando International Airport will be closing for 48 hours starting at 10:30 am tomorrow.

Universal Orlando update...

Reactions: Ziva and Zachary
I’m down here in Orlando right now. Was supposed to check out of Disney tomorrow and head to Hard Rock for two days at Universal but obviously that’s not happening and our Thursday night flight was canceled. The line for the front desk at the hotel is 2+ hours long at 11:30pm and officially the longest line I’ve waited in during these last 6 days at BGT, SWO, Discovery Cove & WDW. It’s crazy how the storm discussion with locals at the parks evolved over the trip from “it’ll miss us…worst case a little rain…oh you WANT to be at the parks during a hurricane scare…go stock up NOW on water, food and flashlights”. Seriously, though, it seems that the parks are making decisions with their employees’ safety in mind and I hope the damage from the storm is minimal.

Here are some YouTube Live real-time Hurricane Ian trackers...

We were suppose to checkout at Cabana Bay on Friday, but checked out this morning instead. Left at around 7am and am currently in Georgia now, 4 hours from our hotel I booked last minute in Florence, South Carolina. The front desk at Cabana Bay told us that we’d have to contact Universal to get refunds, but that it shouldn’t be an issue. Amtrak already is processing a refund for our tickets and I’ll have to file an insurance claim with Allianz for our return trip by car.

We were suppose to checkout at Cabana Bay on Friday, but checked out this morning instead. Left at around 7am and am currently in Georgia now, 4 hours from our hotel I booked last minute in Florence, South Carolina. The front desk at Cabana Bay told us that we’d have to contact Universal to get refunds, but that it shouldn’t be an issue. Amtrak already is processing a refund for our tickets and I’ll have to file an insurance claim with Allianz for our return trip by car.
Were you able to find a rental car or did you take the auto train down? I had no luck finding a rental car for today, and some people in our hotel line said they had no luck either since no one was returning cars to the closest location. It’s looking real bad for Florida so I’m glad you guys made it out. We extended our stay at Disney instead of moving to a cheaper hotel because they are well-staffed here but I’m really regretting not trying harder to find a rental car

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
I did that once back in the late 70's with my family. I'm surprised it's still around.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad