Opinion: SEAS Should Integrate More Intellectual Properties

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

RollyCoaster

Silver Donor
Jul 31, 2016
Southern Va
(I'm looking at you Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster!)
I don't think this is a fair comparison. When Cedar Fair purchased KD they did a relatively good job of keeping theming elements. The ride themes were still understandable and the changed names still made sense accompanying the mentioned themes. You claim that a rides theming will not be kept up if a return on investment isn't great enough, but KD only had the rights to use Paramounts IP's for the rest of the year after the park was purchased. They could have ripped out all of Backlots buildings, removed FoF's building, repainted Crypt with a solid color and remove all theming, gutted out Boo Blasters and/or taken down the mountain of Volc...a... oops. Backlot is basically the same Backlot it was when Cedar Fair purchased KD minus the onboard audio. Half the shit never worked when Paramount ran the place, but even recently KD has been slowly fixing effects to keep them in order.

Anaconda, Volcano, Backlot, Crypt, and Boo Blasters still use effects. Cedar Fair fixed Anacondas splashdown, fixed Backlots splashdown, added effects to Boo Blasters and put music in FoF's ride building. Each ride that can use fire uses fire at some points in the season. This past Saturday I witnessed Crypt run a full cycle the same way it did when owned by Paramount. While it wasn't very consistent, every few cycles saw many effects going off together for the 45ish minutes I watched the ride. Cedar Fair has not abandoned the themes of rides, they just haven't taken the time to update them.

If BGW were to get an IP and later lose it, the chances that a shit ton of things would change are slim. Some physical changes, sure, as well as name changes, but BGW has had a history of maintaining its theming and on ride effects and recently have shown the ability to add thematic elements to rides that were built under previous ownerships. While some changes would be made, I'd imagine that BGW would do a better job in updating the theming as the ride ages as opposed to KD.

RollyCoaster

Silver Donor
Jul 31, 2016
Southern Va
Nessie got some love. DarKastle was always getting some sort of work to it each year. Pompeii has been rearranged multiple times and still works well. Verboltens theming is still pretty good for the most part. I can't think of a ride that the park straight up abandoned to decay and rot.

Effects for all of BGW's rides currently work that I know of. The only thing I know of that doesn't work is the soundtrack at the end of Pompeii. Regardless, BGW does a much better job of maintaining its theming for its rides than KD does. That doesn't mean KD has completely abandoned its pre-existing theming, however.

Anywho, I'm getting too off topic. My apologies.

Apr 5, 2011
Imma stop you right there. Addams Family is great, but it's not scary. It has spooky imagery, but only as a set up for the comedy that is a normal functional and loving family that simply does things differently than the squeaky clean picture of suberbia in the 50s/60s.

They're not evil or harmful, just different.

Apr 5, 2011
One could argue that the song is being sung by outsiders of the family. Since the song uses "They're", the narrative of the song means an outside entity singing the song is not part of the family. This furthers the theme of the show being about outsiders in suberbia and that the family is not a threat.

Reactions: Applesauce

GrandpaD

Grumpy Ol' Man
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
Sheesh, use your imagination. Yes, it was a comedy. But think much fun would it be to be laughing and all of the sudden get the poop scared out of you. How many horror movies are so campy scary they're laugh out loud? Zombieland, Behind The Mask....etc.

I'm not going to design a haunted house/maze here (that's a different thread), but I can think of many ties where people let their guard down laughing only to have the bejeezus scared out of them.

But it was an example of co-promotions that could benefit both parties...not a TV series/movie review.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad