Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Winterfest-- Christmas Event at Kings Dominion

Correction on Kings Island WinterFest, the original version ran from 1982 through 1992. The event was stopped when Paramount took over at the end of 1992. Paramount brought it back for 2005. It ran one season and Paramount terminated it for good.

Here was the 2005 promo video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/a5zdCIaRWt8

A video of Kings Island's "Santa's Toy Factory" show from the 2005 season (In their indoor theater).

http://youtu.be/hVNTZpILwOY

Joe said:
This might be on my end, but it looks like your videos did not embed properly.

Joe, I just made the corrections. Take a look!

It's probably been a good 5 years since I've been there. It's great to hear their putting some effort into it. I may have to go again this coming year and see for myself....

I don't think KD will ever come close to CT at BG. Aside from KD's fountain area, there wouldn't be too much more to do. I don't care how much you decorate. We all also know the history of coasters in freezing weather, so that could never be advertised as a main draw. So you're left walking around the fountain area, possibly wandering around further, looking at closed coasters.

For the record, Hersheypark doesn't run any coasters for their Christmas event and it's still extremely successful. All they run are the rides at the front half of the park. There's still shows, lights, and Santa to look at. This is coming from a park with 11 coasters, tons of rides, and not as much focus on theming as Busch.

If KD took the time and effort to do a Christmas event, they could easily pull it off.

I used to live in Lancaster growing up, so I'm very familiar with Hershey Park.
I used to go there like I now go to BG.

Comparing Hershey Park to Kings Dominion, from a Christmas theme perspective, isn't really fair. Hershey doesn't have another large park near it doing a xmas theme. (and don't even say Dutch Wonderland) They can get the draw, not only because their the only game in town, but because they have a lot more to offer than just rides. Hershey is more of a 'destination vacation' than a one day amusement park visit.

Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion are two totally different parks, and it may always be like that. They both have their good and bad points.

To explain my original quote, KD can put down all the pavers they want and plant bushes and trees til the cows come home, its infrastructure will never match the charm of BG. AND... That's really not a bad thing. KD is an awesome coaster park. If you want to have fun, it's the place to go.

They could pull off something for xmas. Would it be as nice as BG? Hard to say, but I highly doubt it.

At least KD has a drop tower that works. I don't know if theirs has a slow view mode like Mach Tower, but that would be cool to go on.

That could actually be their Xmas slogan.....

While other parks 'work on rides', we have 'rides that work' :D

PA still has Kennywood and Sesame Place for Christmas events. I believe both are pretty new events, so they're not as established as Candylane or Winter Wonderland, but they're still around.

PA's actually pretty saturated with park Christmas events compared to most places. Maybe even on par with the CA, FL, Texas parks. The only other parks doing anything Christmas related in the region are Dollywood and Busch and those are still at least 5-7 hours away.

The park still has an observation tower already (two if you count Windseeker). Not sure if converting Drop Zone is really necessary. The park will likely keep Eiffel Tower open if you want a nice view of the park.

Malsdad said:
It's probably been a good 5 years since I've been there. It's great to hear their putting some effort into it. I may have to go again this coming year and see for myself....

The reason I asked is that Cedar Fair has made great progress in improving the overall park experience over the last 3 seasons and it has been accelerating with the Planet Snoopy makeover this year. With all the planned stuff for 2014, Cedar Fair and Kings Dominion is making a huge leap for next season. (And I imagine this will carry over into 2015 with the Old Virginia section getting some love).

Cedar Fair took over the former Paramount Park chain in the 3rd quarter of 2006; when the sale was finalized. Keep in mind the whole Paramount Park chain had been in a state of severe decline the last 3-4 years of under the Paramount name. Mr. Kinzel and his upper management (BOD) had their hands full stabilizing the parks and trying to bring them up to even Cedar Fair basic standards which took 2-3 years of "baby steps" for them to do (2007-2009 seasons).

I started noticing subtle changes in the park in 2010 when I-305 premiered. (Both physically and the customer demographic). Those changes gradually accelerated in 2011. In 2012, Mr. Quimet took over as head of Cedar Fair along with having a 70% turnover in the BOD. This year, with Planet Snoopy and the increase in live entertainment options (10 Shows offered), the park took a big step in a better direction. I look at the 2014 season as Cedar Fair taking a giant leap with Kings Dominion.

I am not saying that Kings Dominion is going to be a clone of BGW in 2014. Cedar Fair is having to be prudent with spending; I would guess Cedar Fair's debt load is 3-4 times the debt load that Sea-World Entertainment is carrying. Cedar Fair does not have the luxury of blowing millions on the level of detail and upkeep Busch Gardens Williamsburg enjoys each year.

But, I am surprised that Cedar Fair doing so many small to medium size projects, in 3 out of the 5 areas in the park, in one off-season; considering that it is a designated "Off Year" [no major ride or attraction for 2014].

Yes, improvements are still a work in progress with food; show production values and facilities; overall atmosphere, etc. But, as it stands now, Kings Dominion is a head above where it was 5-6 years ago. And, hopefully, even better when the park opens for 2014.

Malsdad said:
I used to live in Lancaster growing up, so I'm very familiar with Hershey Park.
I used to go there like I now go to BG.

Comparing Hershey Park to Kings Dominion, from a Christmas theme perspective, isn't really fair. Hershey doesn't have another large park near it doing a xmas theme. (and don't even say Dutch Wonderland) They can get the draw, not only because their the only game in town, but because they have a lot more to offer than just rides. Hershey is more of a 'destination vacation' than a one day amusement park visit.

Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion are two totally different parks, and it may always be like that. They both have their good and bad points.

To explain my original quote, KD can put down all the pavers they want and plant bushes and trees til the cows come home, its infrastructure will never match the charm of BG. AND... That's really not a bad thing. KD is an awesome coaster park. If you want to have fun, it's the place to go.

They could pull off something for xmas. Would it be as nice as BG? Hard to say, but I highly doubt it.

At least KD has a drop tower that works. I don't know if theirs has a slow view mode like Mach Tower, but that would be cool to go on.

That could actually be their Xmas slogan.....

While other parks 'work on rides', we have 'rides that work' :D

Malsdad,

Your perception of King Dominion is one of the topics that we have talked about in this forum (not this particular thread). I am not sure of your age and you did say you lived in PA for a time. If your perception is based on visits to Kings Dominion from 1993, say though the 2010 season, then your perception is spot on.

BUT, Kings Dominion was NOT that way in the "Golden Years" of park operations (1975-1992). It was a more well rounded park with a good mix of kiddie rides, gentle family rides, thrill rides, and coasters. The park offered 7 to 8 hours of entertainment options during the prime summer season in those days [If you set a goal to see every performance that the park offered, in one day, you would need 7-8 hours to do that]. The quality of the shows back then was on par with what you could see at a Busch or Herchend park today. Each of the five areas of the park had a central theme that tied the employee costumes, rides, shops, restaurants, and entertainment facilities together. Each area did have a more distinct, cohesive theme back then

Course, Kings Dominion is not like Busch Gardens Williamsburg and vice-versa. They came down two totally different paths from conception, design, construction, and operating philosophy.

To me, the Busch Gardens parks were the Busch Family "Playgrounds". They were conceived to show the Busch corporate ideas of quality, taste, and conservation philosophy. They wanted to tie their operating philosophy, in the way they make beer in the brewery, to the way they created and operated their parks. The parks were their Corporate advertising vehicle to a certain extent. For Busch Gardens Williamsburg, it was recreating 14th to 17th century European Hamlets to enfold the rides, shops, restaurants, and show facilities within the park. They could go into great, detailed themeing because the hamlets were somewhat small and distinct, separated from each other by woods and ravines. I am sure other on here can point to the Busch Gardens history and operations.

For Kings Dominion, it is a legacy of the Wachs family in Cincinnati, Ohio. They owned and operated a popular large amusement park, Coney Island, along the Ohio river. The park had big, open midways that contained the rides and attractions for people to enjoy. One of the family members, Gary Wachs, dreamed of having amusement places on a much larger scale than what they currently had with Coney Island. Because of several damaging floods over the years from the Ohio river in the 1950's and 1960's, The Wachs family was looking to move the park somewhere else. The floods also propelled Gary Wachs to pursue his dream of going big. Gary approached Taft Broadcasting, which owned the rights to all the Hanna-Barberra stuff, to build a large "Theme" park. Taft agreed and a couple years later King Island in Mason, Ohio opened in 1972. Kings Dominion followed in 1975, and finally Canada's Wonderland opened in 1981. Those were the 3 parks that Family Leisure/Taft/KECO built from scratch. Carowinds and California's Great America were existing parks that the company bought/took over and "made them into their own image". Carowinds was purchased in the early-mid 1970's. CGA was first managed by the company and then purchased in the mid-late 1980's.

So, you can see why Kings Dominion has large open midways, they reflect some of the old Coney Island park, especially Candy Apple Grove/The Grove area. Go over and find the Kings Island history video I imbedded on the 40th Anniversary thread. It is about an hour and 25 minutes long, so you might want to watch it 25-30 minute increments if you are pressed for time. But, it gives a lot of information that explains about Kings Island's conception, construction, and operating philosophy that reflect heavily on Kings Dominion as well (and Kings Dominion is referred to many times in the video).

The bottom line is that Kings Dominion was distinct from Busch Gardens, even in the "Golden Years"; it still is; and will be in the future. BUT, Kings Dominion was NOT always described as "The Coaster Park". That name tag is due to the "lovely" things that happened to the park when it had "Paramount" over its name. :s

Be thankful that Busch Gardens has had the unbroken continuity of operational philosophy and quality since 1975. Kings Dominion was not so lucky.

Cedar Fair is trying to bring back some of the charm and atmosphere of those "Golden Years" and I think they want to do way more. Its just they are hampered by the huge debt load they are carrying. But, I sincerely applaud them for what they are attempting to do for 2014.

Now that I have thoroughly highjacked this thread, back to your original programming. ;)

mwhinva said:
Be thankful that Busch Gardens has had the unbroken continuity of operational philosophy and quality since 1975.

Yet. And with Gasparich, that's a big "yet."

Also, after re-reading my concept, I came to realize that there was no place to meet Santa Claus and his workshop. One of the spaces I neglected to include was the Dino shop in Old Virginia, nearing the border to Candy Apple Grove. Because most displays and merchandise from the main season are set up on easily movable tables, those could easily be removed in order to set up a queue, pictures, maybe some merchandise, and--of course--an area for a chair and the fat man himself.

I can't believe I forgot about this. Every Christmas event needs a Santa.

Reactions: Zachary
RE: Winterfest : Christmas at Kings Dominion

I didn't know this until today, but apparently the park added a Christmas section to the Emporium gift shop on International Street for the 2013 season.

Kings Dominion said:
Newly added for 2013 is a Christmas section featuring holiday decor and Kings Dominion ornaments.

Link to "Shopping" Page

That's not to say it means anything; just pointing it out to those interested.

Even that's a return to the golden years! There was a Christmas shop on International Street for a long time! It used to be located where the Starbucks is now.

Reactions: I305Evan

I doubt they will do this, but I don't think it is impossible, my opinion, your ideas are awesome! I would love to see it, Cedar Fair has a lot of work to do though.

RE: Winterfest: Christmas at Kings Dominion

So I decided to check out the Christmas shop on International Street yesterday. I sure am glad I did, because it's a really neat display. Check it out!
DMbJxyF.jpg

ZKqrQFs.jpg

hCqYQLM.jpg

IbV4zpr.jpg

Sorry for the crappiness of those last two pictures. Yay for cell phone cameras!

DMbJxyF.jpg

lrpx1bd.jpg

So I just want to let everyone know that I have not forgotten this concept at all. I'm currently in the process of completely re-writing my original concept for a KD winter event, and perhaps even providing some concept art.

For now, I want to throw a little something out there. While I still think KD could easily pull off a winter event in the future, right now I think they could do a small-scale "off-season" operation like Cedar Point's event called "Winter Chill Out." Cedar Point introduced this mini "event" last year (not sure if you'd call it an event) and it's essentially a chance to check out the park during the winter off-season.

Cedar Point said:
This event is an off-season look at what happens here at Cedar Point in the winter. You'll be treated to a tour of the park and our maintenance facilities. You'll also get to meet our new VP & General Manager Jason McClure during a Q&A session - feel free to "grill" him with the big questions. And we'll also feed you.

The best part? The proceeds from this event go directly to Give Kids The World. Please read up on what they're doing for children with life-threatening illnesses and their  families. It's remarkable and we're happy to partner with them.

Cost of this event is $40 and includes everything mentioned above. You must purchase a ticket and register for this event.

NOTE: This event is open to anyone.

Link

Considering KD's rapidly-growing fan base and the possibility for the park to really cash in on some extra profits during the off-season, this could be a perfect event for KD to do during the winter season. While I still think a larger-scale winter event like my original concept is a great long-term goal that the park should still be working towards, I think this type of event would be a perfect low-key event for us enthusiasts, and it's something that the park could get started within the next few seasons.

I think this would be a great small winter event for KD that could maybe bloom into a bigger event someday. What do you guys think?

Well CGA has an outside company come and do an event, in the parking lot, with carnival rides, and a quarter of the park open. Yeah, it's pretty sketchy now that I think about it. :p

Reactions: Mushroom

So just wondering why doesn't KD actually go through with this event? I mean it would be wildly popular and would be very profitable for them I'm just wondering what is holding them back?

Reactions: netdvn and SWStevo
Ha, yep. It’s still a little surreal to me walking through Winterfest now and thinking about when this was just an idea on a forum all those years ago. It’s also funny reading through this thread and seeing the people who said a winter event at KD could never work.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad