Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
SEAS is looking for a VP, New Park Design and Development. Seems likely that they are looking at building some new parks.

There are still 4 water parks left that can be converted to Sesame Places -
Aquatica San Antonio
Aquatica Orlando
Adventure Island Tampa
Water Country USA Williamsburg
I don't think they are interested in turning the other water parks into Sesame Places. The other water parks are very successful and popular. San Diego was a special case in that they had recently purchased it and converted it to Aquatica and it is very far away from SWSD. I think it's like 30-45 minutes away from each other. So they couldn't market them as effectively as a group. Also, it didn't have the same level of thrill water rides that the other parks do that appeal to adult visitors.

However, by converting it to Sesame Place, they saved time and money which allowed them to fulfill the licensing requirements and to give them something that they can market better to tourists.

In all of the other places, I think it is significantly more likely that they would look to build a new gate instead of converting one that already exists.

Just throwing this out there but SEA did say in several earnings reports in 20 and 21 that they had capital on hand to buy up a park if one became available. Could this at least in part involve converting an existing property over to a SEA park?

Reactions: tursiops
I don't think they are interested in turning the other water parks into Sesame Places. The other water parks are very successful and popular. San Diego was a special case in that they had recently purchased it and converted it to Aquatica and it is very far away from SWSD. I think it's like 30-45 minutes away from each other. So they couldn't market them as effectively as a group. Also, it didn't have the same level of thrill water rides that the other parks do that appeal to adult visitors.

However, by converting it to Sesame Place, they saved time and money which allowed them to fulfill the licensing requirements and to give them something that they can market better to tourists.

In all of the other places, I think it is significantly more likely that they would look to build a new gate instead of converting one that already exists.
I was being facetious with the other water park comment, but perhaps the same concept works in Williamsburg, where they could convert a seasonal property into something that can be used year-round.

That said, Water Country could also remain a stand-alone property, as I agree with your comments on San Diego being a special case. No thrill rides, and it is easily 30-45 minutes without traffic, otherwise all bets are off.

Reactions: tursiops
What is funny is that at my original employee orientation, over 10 years ago, they considered the FoF as it's own park inside BGW. Something due to licensing from Seseme Workshop. For all I know it was bull, but you never know.

What is funny is that at my original employee orientation, over 10 years ago, they considered the FoF as it's own park inside BGW. Something due to licensing from Seseme Workshop. For all I know it was bull, but you never know.
Don’t get me started on mistakes or weird things in the employee orientations 💀

• Haha
Reactions: Coasternerd
Pretty sure it was bull. Your trainer didn't know what we he talking about. There are specific rules that are followed in FoF but it's never been considered it's own park within a park.

Which park would they buy? Especially if they have ambitions for a year-round resort.
While I wouldn't totally rule that out my original thought was that IF there was small to moderately sized independent park out there that was getting hit hard because of the state of the world right now that grabbing it and doing a conversion to a Sesame Place park might be a quick and cheap way of adding another park but I did not have any particular one in mind.

While I wouldn't totally rule that out my original thought was that IF there was small to moderately sized independent park out there that was getting hit hard because of the state of the world right now that grabbing it and doing a conversion to a Sesame Place park might be a quick and cheap way of adding another park but I did not have any particular one in mind.
The ones that are in that state are either doing what Todd Joseph is doing to Conneaut Lake Park or Gene Staples is buying them

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad