Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 17, 2010
So, I was talking to my parents about visits to Busch when I was little, and we happened upon the topic of Loch Ness Monster. I made a reference to the fact that the Arrow horsecollars pinned me in even as a wee lad. My parents both said that Loch Ness originally had only lap bars when it opened (they both rode in '78). I was surprised by this, but upon further review, it makes sense. OTSRs of any kind are unnecessary on simple loopers as centripetal force will hold a rider to the seat during a loop. Plus, those horsecollars are far too small for the trains and seem to have been placed later (without much foresight). So, does anybody know whether this story is true? Thoughts, opinions, comments, complaints? Throw it all out there.

No, the coaster was built with OTS restraints. I'll dig up a pic for you.

Here's a picture of the trains in the factory:

Attachments

• lochnessconstruct.jpg
    lochnessconstruct.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: netdvn
It's alright, it would have explained why there's zero room for a grown up to put there arm between the restraints and the car wall. As it stands, I have no idea why they couldn't make the car a bit wider.

The cars couldn't be wider because Arrow puts their trains' wheels inside the tubular track, whereas B&M and Intamin put their trains' wheels on the outside of the track, thusly increasing the space for riders. My mind is boggled by the fact that they could have used smaller restraints in the train for a more comfortable ride. I don't remember BBW's restraints pinning my arms. Did Arrow's restraint technology drastically improve over those six years?

Smaller restraints or a slightly bubbled car design would have dealt with it. Perhaps people had really skinny arms in the 70's.

I heard that it was because they didn't want people to put their hands up in the tunnel. Anyone see any truth to that?

I heard that it was because they didn't want people to put their hands up in the tunnel. Anyone see any truth to that?

That seems logical. That tunnel is pretty cramped.

Perhaps people had really skinny arms in the 70's.

Perhaps, Chris. Perhaps. Though, I somehow doubt that their arms could be skinnier than mine when I was but seven years old. (Even at a young age, I was all scrawn :cool: ).

I think people in the 70's were just generally skinnier. If you look at small, medium, large tee shirt sizes; large was barely considered a medium in today's standards.

That still doesn't make sense to make the restraints so bone-crushingly small.

And by 1984, had Arrow come to the conclusion that people in the 80's were generally fatter?

(In no way am I trying to make fun of your post, Nora, it's just that this situation really "bottles my mind").

And oh yeah, name the movie... :)

Well, I was partially joking about the size of the restraints due to the time period and people being skinnier in the 70's. Well... because people were skinnier in the 70's. The tee shirt thing is pure fact... though I doubt that had any influence over Arrow honestly.. but it is funny when you think about it.

Of course, I do not think anyone mentioned that you have to have mega small legs to fit in the darn cars comfortably. I am about 5'9" and I feel like Kareem Abdul Jabbar in any old Arrow Coaster. That is why I ALWAYS sit in the front of any car on the Loch or the Wolf when it was running; that glorious few more inches of leg room!

Also... "Mind Bottling" is from Blades of Glory. :p "Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle? "

That is why I ALWAYS sit in the front of any car on the Loch or the Wolf when it was running; that glorious few more inches of leg room!

Oh, I definitely am NEVER caught in the second row of any Arrow car.

Also... "Mind Bottling" is from Blades of Glory. Tongue "Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle? "

Congratulations, Nora! You are the first person to successfully tackle "Movie Lines with Franco!" (It's a new thing. In fact, I sorta just started it. :) ) And using the entire quote? Impressive!

This inspires me to create a new thread!

I'll be right back!

Did they redesign the restraints at some point? I seem to remember when I rode it 1980 or so the restraints were round but now they're flattened out.

All those old Arrow's have restraints that make it impossible to get your arms up...? Is LNM worse? Not ridden it recently to remember.

I wear small t-shirt sizes, so I cannot imagine what it's like for you normal-large folk.

A lot of Vekomas have the same problem. In fact, if I sit next to someone big on even a B&M with OSTRs it's burdenous.

If everyone was my size, world would be a better place. Though I can't imagine I'd stay this size if I lived here, in a country where food actually tastes good.

HAJiME said:
All those old Arrow's have restraints that make it impossible to get your arms up...? Is LNM worse? Not ridden it recently to remember.
LNM is the same as any other Arrow, it's next to impossible to get your arm up in the center no matter where you sit, even if the seat next to you is open.

I wear small t-shirt sizes, so I cannot imagine what it's like for you normal-large folk.
Shirts don't affect the ride at all lol, there's no air getting behind your back like with more open seated rides (Apollo's, Nitro) to make your shirt wrap around like a flag

A lot of Vekomas have the same problem. In fact, if I sit next to someone big on even a B&M with OSTRs it's burdenous.
yep, B&Ms are just as guilty of it. Especially with the "big boy" seats. The only trains that aren't affected are of course the mega coaster trains.

If everyone was my size, world would be a better place. Though I can't imagine I'd stay this size if I lived here, in a country where food actually tastes good.

lol. If you mean fast food I heavily disagree, if you mean resturaunt food yeah you got my approval. Come try some Jersey Sweet Corn, btw. Best corn in the US by far.

B-Mac said:
HAJiME said:
Shirts don't affect the ride at all lol, there's no air getting behind your back like with more open seated rides (Apollo's, Nitro) to make your shirt wrap around like a flag
What? It was just a description of the fact that I am small build...

lol. If you mean fast food I heavily disagree, if you mean resturaunt food yeah you got my approval. Come try some Jersey Sweet Corn, btw. Best corn in the US by far.
Just had Taco Bell. I just fell in love with a double decker crunchy taco supreme thingy. Actual love.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad