Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dude, resize your images please. Not a fan of multi-scrolling past unfunny 'memes', if you can call them that.

That said; its unfortunate but also so hilariously, incredibly on-brand that it's already being looked at on day 2, even if its just a minor thing😂😂
oops, sorry sorry, not trying to disrupt the flow. let me try

Does anyone know if they did any additional track work? There was a brutal jolt at the bottom of the wave hill last year.

Option A: Spend a few hundred on maintenance labor of a newly installed upgrade that probably just needs the kinks worked out.

Option B: Drop $20M and multiple years rage replacing a signature ride.
Ok well when you put it that way, I guess that makes sense

Many YouTubers would rank this ride highly. I’d be interested to know from anyone here how the chain lift really impacts the full ride experience. I understand the “wow” factor is reduced, but overall, how is the thrill level?

I really wasn't a huge fan of any version I've ridden. I enjoy strong ejector airtime, but I feel that this ride does cross over to too strong. the quad down also tends to throw you into your lap bar as you come back down as well.

Many YouTubers would rank this ride highly. I’d be interested to know from anyone here how the chain lift really impacts the full ride experience. I understand the “wow” factor is reduced, but overall, how is the thrill level?
I have not heard the best things about the “upgrade” people have been stating it’s running sluggish and feels slower.

I have not heard the best things about the “upgrade” people have been stating it’s running sluggish and feels slower.
I remember reading that the old launch would cause it to crest between 13-18mph.

For reference MF and SR (cable lifts) are two of the faster lifts at ~13 MPH.

I hope someone can do the math at some point to figure out the new lift speed but I personally doubt it’s hitting that speed. I’m willing to bet that soon we will get a side by side POV to time up the difference too.

Reactions: AlpenChariot
Was curious about comparisons...

So, I looked it up:
MF lift is stated to run at 15mph.
Skyrush at 17.7 mph.
I305 at 13.2 mph.

So, LRod is supposed to be pretty close to I305's lift hill...
Is it? I'm not sure. I'm sure someone can do a comparison though.

Not sure if this has come up yet - with all of the various overhauls LR has had (chain lift, I-box track replacement for some parts, train redesign), who has to pay for them? Is that on RMC, or does the park have to cover these costs? Who's liable?

Reactions: Fiender
It all depends on the contract signed when Dollywood purchased the ride. My guess is the lift probably had a prototype agreement, meaning it was sold with no guarantee that it would be reliable. We may never know though, as long as no party sues the other. Ride purchase contracts usually are covered by non-disclosure agreements. (Even in the case of a lawsuit, the contract may still not be published if the court allows it to be considered a business secret.)

Ugh. I anticipated a reduction in speed, but this is absolutely brutal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

I synced up a 2021-era POV (after earlier speed reductions and the installation of steel track) with the video above to show just how much slower the new lift hill version is running—even when compared to the already dramatically slower 2021-era version. I synced the two videos around the base of the primary drop in an effort to remove the already well known and obvious reduction in cresting speed. The link below only shows the horrendous effects this change has on the bulk of the coaster's layout. If I included from the crest of the lift/launch, this would be an even more brutal comparison.

And for anyone who needs a refresher, here is the 2021 version vs the true, original Lightning Rod:

RIP.

Last edited:
That may be the most unfortunate set of combining factors in a single POV ever. Effectively, yes, RIP to the old 'Rod. But allow me to rebut for a second- This was filmed this morning at around 7:30am, about 45°, on the first run of the day (source: the videographer), with the brand new, relatively-non-broken-in trains that are MUCH lighter than the previous ones (no magnetic yoke on the train needed for the launch).

I would STRONGLY advise to hold final judgement until, say, we see it running on a 90° day in July. We all know by now that RMC's are extremely temperamental, but even disregarding that, just check out this footage from opening day where it's running with riders. Yes, it's probably slower than it used to be, but it's not as bad as that POV shows.

End cope. 😂

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad