Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Feb 6, 2013
Portsmouth, Va
We have talked before about the disarray of LotD, and the need to update and/or replace it. Does SWP&E have rights to all of Jim Henson Inc or just Sesame Street? Because a Muppet area would be cool, and profitable! You could to a show, but you would have to have the balcony for Statler and Waldorf! OR, how awesome would a Fraggle Rock area be?!?!?!?!?!? You crawl from "Outer space" into Fraggle rock!

They could always do something like "Swiss Family Robinson" since Disney pretty much (and quite unceremoniously) dumped them for a "Tarzan" tree at Disneyland.

cotnoutlaw said:
We have talked before about the disarray of LotD, and the need to update and/or replace it. Does SWP&E have rights to all of Jim Henson Inc or just Sesame Street? Because a Muppet area would be cool, and profitable! You could to a show, but you would have to have the balcony for Statler and Waldorf! OR, how awesome would a Fraggle Rock area be?!?!?!?!?!? You crawl from "Outer space" into Fraggle rock!

I think it's a great idea, but it might be confusing because we already have the forest of fun. What's the difference? This would really be a huge forest of fun playground on the opposite side if the park.

There are a lot of well known German fairy tales and legends (big bad wolf for one). If the playground was renovated and themed around some of those fairy tales, it would make more sense with the surrounding German hamlet.

UUUUUUH, no. Sesame Street and the Muppets are 2 completely different shows! Sure they did some crossover stuff, but it was different worlds and themes and characters. Fraggle Rock is way different than all of them! You can have the Doozers building stuff(animatronic), Marjory, the trash heap talking to kids, Uncle traveling Matt telling stories of "Outer Space", etc.

Griff said:
There are a lot of well known German fairy tales and legends (big bad wolf for one). If the playground was renovated and themed around some of those fairy tales, it would make more sense with the surrounding German hamlet.

They did this before, it was called Grimm's Hollow

Reactions: netdvn
cotnoutlaw said:

Disney has the Muppets on lockdown so you won't see them at any other park.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/hollywood-studios/muppet-vision-3d/

cotnoutlaw said:
UUUUUUH, no. Sesame Street and the Muppets are 2 completely different shows! Sure they did some crossover stuff, but it was different worlds and themes and characters. Fraggle Rock is way different than all of them! You can have the Doozers building stuff(animatronic), Marjory, the trash heap talking to kids, Uncle traveling Matt telling stories of "Outer Space", etc.

Griff said:

They did this before, it was called Grimm's Hollow

What was wrong with it?

I like Fraggle Rock but it would not be marketable.

It's an old show that had a decent run on HBO way back in the mid 1980s. Kids nowadays have no connection to it like the Muppets which Disney has still been able to market with movies ever since they took over the franchise in the 1990s.

Had the brand kept up and was still consistently popular there may be a chance for it to work now. But even so, would the park will be willing to pay the licensing fees to use it?

What if they expanded FoF, torn down LotD, and built a newer and bigger one in FoF? Then move the ferris wheel and the other rides that are there to FoF. Then they could put a small flat ride or stores where LotD is now.

Here's an idea. Make LotD a place where parents can drop their kids off for an hour or two (CHARGE THEM $10/hr per kid....You listening BGW beancounters? MONEY MONEY MONEY) and this will allow parents to escape for a while & ride the rides or just have a quiet dinner somewhere in the park w/o having to constantly pick up after the little ones.

Meanwhile the little ones are having a ball & use up all that energy of theirs, & by the time they get picked up, they're practically asleep. They had fun, the parents got some quiet time, and BGW gets a new profit center that they didn't know they had before. Win Win.

Hoopla said:
What if they expanded FoF, torn down LotD, and built a newer and bigger one in FoF? Then move the ferris wheel and the other rides that are there to FoF. Then they could put a small flat ride or stores where LotD is now.

They can't expand FoF. It's already land-locked by the service roads and the Skyride.

I would love to see FoF take over LotD and use the space currently used by FoF to expand the England hamlet. England should be a little more than just an entryway IMO

Disney owns the rights to the Henson Company. I don't think they'd let their competitor profit off of it. Yes, Universal is being allowed to keep their Marvel Island, but only because it was already there, and they no longer profit from it.

I would personally lover to see an updated LOD, or an all-new, original kid's play land. I don't want Sesame to seep into this area, because then there'd be too much Sesame.

iliketurtles said:
Disney owns the rights to the Henson Company. I don't think they'd let their competitor profit off of it. Yes, Universal is being allowed to keep their Marvel Island, but only because it was already there, and they no longer profit from it.

I would personally lover to see an updated LOD, or an all-new, original kid's play land. I don't want Sesame to seep into this area, because then there'd be too much Sesame.

Disney only owns the Muppets.

In December 2002 a deal was announced in which EM.TV would sell a 49.9% stake in Henson to an investment group led by Dean Valentine, a former executive at Disney and UPN. However in March 2003, the deal fell through, and it was Henson's children who bought back the company in May 2003. In 2004, almost one year after ownership of the Henson company was returned to the family’s hands, the Jim Henson Company sold the rights to The Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House characters to The Walt Disney Company, who control the Muppets through the wholly owned subsidiary The Muppets Studio, LLC. The Walt Disney Company now owns all Muppet-related trademarks, including the word “Muppet”.

Reactions: iliketurtles
Unagi said:
I like Fraggle Rock but it would not be marketable.

It's an old show that had a decent run on HBO way back in the mid 1980s. Kids nowadays have no connection to it like the Muppets which Disney has still been able to market with movies ever since they took over the franchise in the 1990s.
This may be true. But I tell you, it would be overrun by big kids who grew up int the 70's & 80's. :cool:

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad