Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
With no Amusement Dark projects currently in the pipeline, it’s unlikely we'll see any new dark rides added at any Cedar Fair parks in 2016

So there is still hope KD is next in line for a coaster in/around 2016/2017. Which means KD would be last in the pipeline for a dark ride most likely. So in a perfect world we get a new coaster, and a dark ride with all the kinks worked out and implemented with more advanced technology. All within the next 5 years. It is a win-win:)

As we have discussed earlier, Kings Dominion is expected to get an interactive 4D dark ride from Trio-Tech sometime in the near future.

Today, Knott's Berry Farm held a pass member preview for Cedar Fair's second attempt at a Trio-Tech dark ride, Voyage to the Iron Reef. I was seriously holding my breath after hearing the rather negative reviews of Wonder Mountain's Guardian at Canada's Wonderland. However, I am happy to share that Iron Reef seems to have improved upon all of Guardian's faults, and has already been the subject of rave reviews.

First, here's a POV of the ride. The quality is "meh" since, obviously, a large portion of the ride is on a video screen. It should, however, give a decent idea of what the ride is like. I'm legit impressed. It looks fantastic (especially for Cedar Fair).

Next, here's an incredibly positive review from a former Disney Imagineer:
OC Register said:
BUENA PARK – Yes, it is real early in the tenure of Knott’s Berry Farm’s latest attraction, Voyage to the Iron Reef, but the reviews coming in are glowing – including one from former Disney Imagineer Bob Gurr.

This morning, the first riders were allowed to board the interactive, three-dimensional video ride: the media, annual pass holders and special guests. On the attraction, riders dive under a virtual sea to fight against the Queen of the Kraken and save Knott’s.

Gurr, who helped create the Monorail, the Haunted Mansion, the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Autopia at Disneyland, was on hand for Voyage’s opening ceremony on Wednesday and was among the first riders. The company he founded, Sequoia Creative, built Knott’s Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, which sat in the same building as Voyage.

Disney California Adventure has a ride similar to Voyage called Toy Story Midway Mania. Voyage surpasses Disney’s ride, Gurr said, because the ride car doesn’t come to a full stop in front of each screen.

“This is a big step beyond,” he said. “I’m still shaking (with) excitement from what I saw and the CGI imagery and the way the targeting works and the fact that the vehicle is moving at all times.”

Videos playing in the queue area set up the plot line of the ride: A captain was fishing off the coast of Knott’s Berry Farm when he was attacked by the Queen of the Kraken and her aquatic army, who are also devouring the park’s roller coasters. Now, it’s up to riders to help him and save the park by using “freeze rays.”

“The goal is to get completely immersed in it,” said Lara Hanneman, director of entertainment production at Knott’s.

In addition to the 3D videos, the ride is adorned with physical set pieces, such as reefs covered in barnacles and kelp, wrecked ships and a room that elicits an undersea cave the Queen pulls riders through.

Older Knott’s fans might also recognize on some screens “Easter eggs,” including a Knott’s Bear-y Tales ride car and the old Roaring 20s sign.

In video game parlance, the Queen would be considered the “boss,” the final villain who’s harder to defeat than the ones that came before. Prior to meeting her, riders will face puffer fish, eels, jellyfish, crabs and other sea creatures, some of whom require more hits to defeat than others.

Riders can determine where to aim with a colored dot on screen. What color corresponds to which gun is displayed next to the holster on the ride car. When the guns hit an object, ice crystals form, and when a creature is defeated, it shatters into ice.

Hitting the fish garners points, which are displayed on board and at the end of the ride. Scattered among the scenes are also medallions that can be hit to earn bonus points.

The ride exit also has a screen for “Best Players of the Year,” assigning the top five rankings: junior officer, lieutenant, commander, captain and admiral. On Wednesday morning, all top five scores were in the 200,000s.

Unofficial estimates have the ride costing about $10 million, though Knott’s does not divulge the cost of its rides.

Link

Cedar Fair can go ahead and order one of these for KD's now. (And by that time it may include animatronics!)

Reactions: Nicole and wombat96
I really liked it, a billion times better than Wonder Mountain Guardian. I only have two complaints, not enough physical sets, and too much "Pew! Pew! Explosions!" The story behind the attractions is very unique and definetly should have been used more to their advantage. Still, for a Cedar Fair park, that was incredible. Kings Dominion, you know what to do.

Reactions: John and Mushroom
Only thing that bummed me out is the lack of a "roller coaster" factor. WMG had a chain lift that led to a drop into the event building. Besides that I'm very impressed with the quality of rides Cedar Fair is aiming to implement in their parks nowadays.

Reactions: TrevorBondi
I have never been a fan of "interactive" rides, Boo Blasters and MIB are two good examples. I recognize this is a very unpopular opinion and I know lots of people who love them. They always seem like a lame ride and a really lame video game have been sandwiched together.

To be fair Boo Blaster is basically an improved carnival haunted house ride. Brightly colored plywood, and cheesy props hanging from a ceiling that is was too high than the attraction requires...oh, and a s*%# ton of black curtains hanging from said ceiling.

Sally Corp designed and built Boo Blaster at all the CF parks, considering they max out around 30 employees I wouldn't expect an amazing ride from them. They mainly specialize in props... Triotech on the other hand is creating their own experiences in a self owned studio, constantly developing new interactive experiences, opposed to just building props.

Technically they're in the same ballpark when you step back and look at the big picture, but Triotech is miles ahead of Sally corp, so comparing the two isn't really fair.

Reactions: Mushroom
I don't think we can be so critical of Sally Corp. Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is a specific type of ride from Sally. They have also built some pretty impressive dark rides, it is their specialty. They also build beautiful animatronics. Take a list of their entire inventory of Dark Rides and you will see http://sallycorp.com/dark-rides. Some of them are like Boo Blasters because that is what they are supposed to be; some are life like installations. It all depends on what the park wants.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad