Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

CoasterAuditor

Theme parks are cool
Jul 5, 2017
Richmond, VA
Good morning all,

It appears I will be making my initial visit to Kennywood on June 25th which is unfortunately a Saturday. I will be coming from Cedar Point that morning so going to aim to get out of Sandusky by 7am so I can get to Pittsburgh by rope drop and hit the rides with the slowest lines. Does anyone have any tips for visiting Kennywood on Saturdays? I was hoping to get there for the first time on a weekday but I can't pass up getting on Phantom's Revenge when I'm passing through Pittsburgh! (I am approaching CP from Cincinnati so will not be passing Pittsburgh on the way up).

Has anyone experienced a Saturday at Kennywood before and what should I expect? Will I be able to get on all 7 coasters? I am concerned about Thunderbolt being a single rider hopefully I can give somebody $5 to ride with me or something.

You shouldn't have any issues getting through everything on a Saturday. Rope drop Steel Curtain because it's still been having issues and you want to get on it before it might have issues -- if it's closed at park open then keep watching it. You'll wait in some lines more likely but it won't be anything like you experience at Cedar Point. Kennywood has really been doing well with operations..... there are some moments of slowness but they are really trying and doing a good job at improving over what it was a few years ago. Steel Curtain will probably be running a single train though because of the issues.

Thunderbolt used to not be a problem because you'd just wait in line and then you'd stand to the side waiting for the next single rider to come along but I haven't seen that in recent years. I honestly don't know what your best course of action is TBH because I usually just skip it if I'm there by myself (but I've also rode it many times). I'm sure if you stand around the entrance to it you'll be able to find someone to ride it with you.

Enjoy your visit! Kennywood is a great park..... it had a rough few years but it's really returned to it's glory in the last couple. Not sure if you're wanting to just hit coasters and move on but there are a lot of other things you need to ride other than coasters:
  • Turtles (don't look at it and say it looks boring)
  • Kangaroo
  • Noah's Ark
  • Auto Race (not thrill but extremely unique)
  • Black Widow - if you like pendulums (by far my favorite out of any I've been on)
  • Potato Patch fries
Also, just as a note, that is the week of Coaster Con. Cedar Point and Kennywood are the host parks but it looks like you'll be running just behind that schedule (it ends at Kennywood on that Friday with post con events at other nearby parks on the 25th). If you are staying in Pittsburgh Saturday night and driving East and/or South you'll want to stop at Lakemont park for about a half hour to ride Leap the Dips and Skyliner..... Taking US22 to Altoona and then I99 down to I70 is not out of your way if you're planning on going the PA Turnpike to I70.

Yeah I certainly want to hit the flats especially the older more rare ones, I am also a theme park enthusiast so I always try to take in the parks the best I can. I didn't even realize Coaster Con was this week but the only day I am lined up with them is the Wednesday at Cedar Point. Need to join one of these groups one day I guess.

Yeah I certainly want to hit the flats especially the older more rare ones, I am also a theme park enthusiast so I always try to take in the parks the best I can. I didn't even realize Coaster Con was this week but the only day I am lined up with them is the Wednesday at Cedar Point. Need to join one of these groups one day I guess.
Glad to hear you don't just go for credits. Kennywood is such a great park on top of a park with great coasters. It also isn't really a big park so you should have time to take in everything. Not sure if you've ever had Potato Patch but if not, don't make the first timer mistake of just thinking the fries are all you need -- you need the toppings as much as the fries 😉. There is also a lot of other good food at the park.... doesn't seem like as much as there used to be but I never look at Kennywood as a park I have to make sure I eat before I go.

Also, I don't know what your plans are after Kennywood but I really want to stress the possibility of a quick stop a Lakemont Park the day after depending on which way you are going.

I feel like at that point Kennywood would be the 7th consecutive "park day" after 3 at Cedar Point, 2 at Kings Island, 1 at Holiday World, and 1.5 at KK so I may just wanna go home at that point 😂.

Only one I've been to of those is CP gonna solo road trip them all from Richmond.

I feel like at that point Kennywood would be the 7th consecutive "park day" after 3 at Cedar Point, 2 at Kings Island, 1 at Holiday World, and 1.5 at KK so I may just wanna go home at that point 😂.

Only one I've been to of those is CP gonna solo road trip them all from Richmond.
Yea but Lakemont isn't a park day..... it's literally a quick stop on your way home. If you live in Richmond it's basically on your way. Instead of driving to Breezewood, PA via the turnpike you take US22 to Altoona.... You go 2 exits the opposite direction on I99 to hit the park and then take I99 to Bedford where you can get on the turnpike or just take US30 from there to Breezewood. Lakemont isn't even an amusement park anymore.... you park, go in and buy a ticket for Leap the Dips and a ticket for Skyliner, ride them, and leave. The whole process will take you a half hour and it will be WELL worth it.

FWIW, I grew up outside of the Pittsburgh area and I still frequently drive up and visit family since I'm only a few hours away. I don't know why mapping software seems to exclude the US22/I99 route but it's nearly the same time as driving the turnpike. It may be related to the fact that US22 used to be a 2 lane highway many years ago. I never pay the stupidly ridiculous tolls on the PA Turnpike because at best it doesn't save me much time and at worst the turnpike is full of traffic and construction.

At Kennywood right now. Arrived to Thunderbolt, Phantom, and Steel Curtain closed and massive lines for the other 4 coasters…..no bueno.

Edit: phantom has reopened but took a train off and Steel Curtain and Bolt not opening today at all. Not a great follow up to holiday world, Kings island and Cedar Point.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: warfelg and Zachary
At Kennywood right now. Arrived to Thunderbolt, Phantom, and Steel Curtain closed and massive lines for the other 4 coasters…..no bueno.

Edit: phantom has reopened but took a train off and Steel Curtain and Bolt not opening today at all. Not a great follow up to holiday world, Kings island and Cedar Point.
Thunderbolt being closed is INCREDIBLY disappointing because it’s fun.

• Sad
Reactions: CoasterAuditor
So I will follow up to note I’m hearing around the park that Steel Curtain is closed for the 2022 season. I have not been able to find anything official yet but if so that is very unfortunate news and I also have very bad timing since it was operating yesterday.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad