Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jonesta6

Kehoe
Feb 14, 2019
While at WinterFest we walked by the Parched Pig taproom, and my buddy mentioned there used to have been an on-premise brewery in Kings Dominion many years ago.

I couldn't find any details on this having ever been true, but I also didn't start visiting the park with any regularity before 2011 or 2012.

Does anyone know if this is either true or my buddy is mistaken?

I believe it was where Border Cafe is today on International Street, and has been removed for decades. Maybe @mwhinva can enlighten us.

Reactions: Jonesta6
I believe it was where Border Cafe is today on International Street, and has been removed for decades. Maybe @mwhinva can enlighten
us.
I am aware of the brewery. I just don't remember the exact timeline. I think it was during the Paramount years (the mid-late 1990's). I don't think it was in operation more than 3-4 seasons before it was shutdown. KD was in some sort of partnership with an outside craft brewer during this time.

That kind of amazes me - it's odd that there's a total lack of information about it or, given the current craft beer in the park situation, mentions of it by the park in promoting current products (While we no longer brew in the park, we're bringing [COTU] KD beer fresh to you at [locations in park]!).

Thanks @Joe and @mwhinva!

Is there any more details or pictures out there?

Reactions: Mushroom
I found some info - In early 1995, Williamsville Brewery (which was founded in Virginia in 1963 and now located in Florida) had an agreement with Paramount to open a microbrewery at Kings Dominion amusement park. In 1999 they opened an offshoot business in Richmond called Main Street Beer Co.

I found some info - In early 1995, Williamsville Brewery (which was founded in Virginia in 1963 and now located in Florida) had an agreement with Paramount to open a microbrewery at Kings Dominion amusement park. In 1999 they opened an offshoot business in Richmond called Main Street Beer Co.

I'll circle back around, but I believe this is now Canon & Draw Brewing Company, which is amazing.

So BGW has their wine and beer as well as international food festival; I really think KD should counter with a VA specific Beer and BBQ festival. Let the outside breweries come in, as well as food trucks/BBQers and do a 2 week special event (I know most these places won't stick around too long). This might be a way to bring a micro-brew back on property.

I wouldn't think a microbrewery inside KD would be a good idea. There's months where they would get no customers and then additional weekdays when they'd get no customers. Even when KD is open their only customers are people going to KD. Seems like a sketchy business idea to me....

Canon & Draw was only founded a few years ago by the guy who owns Steam Bell in Chesterfield - dude used to work for Hardywood before they expanded, so it's not connected to KD.

Although getting into the logistics of reintroducing a brewery to the park goes outside of the history thread, I think if a well established local brewery creates a seasonal outpost with a small scale nano brew system in the park for show, it could work.

This way, most of their production and overhead is still coming from their main brewery - the outpost would be able to function more as a marketing endeavor to intro guests to their beers while the park makes some of that lucrative F&B $.

Of course, it would be ironic if any AB brand were to be the chosen brewery.

Reactions: Crunchewy
I remember it, I think it was before its time. If something like that was opened today it would be a sucess.

I remember it, I think it was before its time. If something like that was opened today it would be a sucess.

Do you have any pictures or anything of it? Also, how was the beer (if you remember and/or could get one)?

Do you have any pictures or anything of it? Also, how was the beer (if you remember and/or could get one)?
I dont have any photos and I never had any ofthe beer. If I remember correctly its where border burito is now and the brewkettles and the precess area is where the seating is now.

So BGW has their wine and beer as well as international food festival; I really think KD should counter with a VA specific Beer and BBQ festival. Let the outside breweries come in, as well as food trucks/BBQers and do a 2 week special event (I know most these places won't stick around too long). This might be a way to bring a micro-brew back on property.

They actually did exactly this for several years with the BBQ & Fest down in CAG. It was replaced this past season with Carnivale.

Reactions: Nicole
I'll circle back around, but I believe this is now Canon & Draw Brewing Company, which is amazing.

They actually did exactly this for several years with the BBQ & Fest down in CAG. It was replaced this past season with Carnivale.
They actually did an event like this at BGW about 10-12 years ago. It was called Bud and BBQ. It only happened at BGW for a year or two. But it continued at BGT and SWO as Bands, Brews and BBQ for a few years post AB. Largely I think it's been replaced by the Food and Wine Festival and Bier Fest at the BG parks. At SWO it was replaced by the Seven Seas Food Festival and the Craft Beer Festival. They basically took one event and split it into two.

I do think that something like this could be an interesting concept for a short two week event.

Reactions: Nicole
They actually did an event like this at BGW about 10-12 years ago. It was called Bud and BBQ. It only happened at BGW for a year or two. But it continued at BGT and SWO as Bands, Brews and BBQ for a few years post AB. Largely I think it's been replaced by the Food and Wine Festival and Bier Fest at the BG parks. At SWO it was replaced by the Seven Seas Food Festival and the Craft Beer Festival. They basically took one event and split it into two.

I do think that something like this could be an interesting concept for a short two week event.

SFA had something called Bands Brews and Boos during their halloween event, but only for two days. Craft beers, food and music. Seemed like it would have been a good time, but I had to leave when I was passing by it.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad