Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
According to the 2019 park map, Peppermint Patty's Candy Shop has been renamed The Candy Shop on International Street. Probably nothing more than a name change, but interesting to see the park removing some of the out-of-place Peanuts theming in favor of International Street branding.

I’ve been looking for this video for years! I assumed a copy of it never existed online. In the 70s, one of Kings Dominion’s original marketing campaigns was called “5 Big Worlds of Fantasy” and each spot featured a character showcasing one of the park’s themed areas. The International Street installment was just uploaded to YouTube!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Other than Beserker and Dominator being there, the area is almost the same since day one. Of course the landscaping border and street itself has changed over the years.

They could change it the way Kings Island did. Minus the fountain change.

I really hope they don’t. Kings Island’s International Street lacked the shade, intimate walkways, and intricate planters of KD’s International Street, and always looked more like a shopping mall to me. The renovations they made are definitely an improvement over what they had, but they lack the tranquil serenity and lush foliage that gives KD’s I-Street its enchantment and sense of place. The only thing I prefer about KI’s new I-Street is that the lack of mature trees aids the forced perspective of the building facades and makes them seem larger, an effect that has been lost at KD as the trees have grown.

Its ok. Y'all can dislike my post. I think seeing that fountain without trees blocking the sightline is wonderful as I never got to see that. Of course I would love a better groundwork around the fountain, but I love how open and airy that looks and likely felt.

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom
I actually totally agree. It looks beautiful in its own right, a completely open and grand feel that really feels like a true, international street surrounded by grand, towering buildings. But of course, nowadays I think a design like that would contribute to the (unfair, in my opinion) notion that KD is a shadeless concrete jungle. But like you said @warfelg, it’s a gorgeous part of KD’s history.

Reactions: wombat96
Here's a neat video of the fountains being filled in preparation for opening day.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do the fountains on the sides of the pool (not the main ones in the middle) look different to anyone else? Not sure if they got new nozzles, or if they're literally pumping new water through the nozzles to fill the pool and the different water pressure is just making the fountains spray differently.

Looks cool, I'm fairly certain those are the same nozzles on the sides. Usually when they're completely filled, the lights are fully submerged leaving just the last few inches exposed on the outer nozzles. From the video it looks like they're using both the fountains and those fillers on the walls to get it completed. My guess is that there wasn't enough pressure yet when the video was taken and that there could be some minor clogging as well from not being in use since December.

Reactions: Mushroom
I remember this playing on International Street back in the Taft days. Some of this style music should return to the playlist.

This was the same time as the Goney Iskand disco.

Personally, I definitely prefer the themed international and orchestra music they have on the playlist now.

Yeah, I echo what @Mushroom said. I get nostalgia, but I honestly feel like KD's tone and ambiance has changed a lot since the Taft days and, overall, I feel the current soundtracks accentuate the the park as it now exists very, very well. I'm not saying they're all perfect, but I-Street is one of my favorites.

The first 3-4 photos in the photo spread were from the 1980-1981 off season when I-Street was given the major redesign. This was when the planters, landscaping islands, fountain overlooks/seating areas, and winding paths were added to each side of the fountains. The front of the fountains, area across from the main gates, evolved over the years from almost flat to the current earthen berm with the park logo.

I prefer the trees and shade compared to the open interstate pathways of the early years. It was so brutally hot in the summer. I-Street was a ghost town from noon to about 6 pm.

Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad