Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Coming in 2017: Snoopy's Symphony of Water

Kings Dominion said:
Kick off your day at Kings Dominion as Snoopy presents his all new fountain show! Our resident conductor will take to the stage to mesmerize and showcase his talents as we present Snoopy’s Symphony of Water!
Link

zLfS5Pr.png

It's been four seasons since the Royal Fountain received its major technological upgrade, and that new technology is finally being put to use! As someone who has wanted to see a true fountain show at Kings Dominion for years now, I'm ecstatic about this addition.

Pretzel Kaiser said:
So it's not at night, which I feel is a huge missed opportunity with no lights and whatnot.

Actually, I noticed that the description for the newly-rebranded Starlight Spectacular (no more Snoopy theming) now mentions the International Street fountain, so I wonder if we will see it incorporated into the light show.

Reactions: jornor and SWStevo
I emailed them with that exact question a few weeks ago. Here's their response:

Kings Dominion said:
We will have 2 performances each morning - the first show will be immediately following the National Anthem as the front gate opens at either 10am or 11am. The second show will be performed one hour after the first show at either 11am or 12noon.

To be honest, I'm a little bummed that a show that should cost basically nothing to operate (barring the costumed Snoopy character) has such a limited schedule.

Here's a clip of the fountain show I took today. There are about four "classical" songs that Snoopy conducts, followed by a "rock" finale as seen here:
[instagram=https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMoe2Fjswv/]

The show is quite enjoyable, but it's still a bummer that there are only two shows a day. This would be a wonderful diversion to watch in the middle of the day when all the lines are long.

Reactions: Zachary and John
I don't think any other park goes as "balls to the walls" with the Snoopy theme around the entire park as KD does. Really shows they're going for an overall family appeal.

Not entirely sure how I feel about it yet.

^I guess I should point out that the finale is the only Peanuts-themed selection in the show. The other songs are all just famous classical music, which fits right in with International Street. Plus, in past seasons the park has usually had Snoopy or some other Peanuts character near the entrance planter at opening anyway, so putting Snoopy a little more front-and-center isn't that much of a stretch.

But I totally get what you're saying, John.

Reactions: John and Zachary
I do have to throw the idea out that The Peanuts are also a timeless cartoon that spans across multiple generations. My mother loves The Peanuts classics and makes it a benchmark to watch the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials every time it's the appropriate holiday season.

So, in a way the Peanut/Snoopy theme appeals to a broader diversity of demographics than some might think. The park, corporate even, might be aware of this and it could justify the heavy investments being made into the brand in the forms of rides, and live entertainment.

Just some food for thought.

I should point out that the park's headlining nighttime event, Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, has been themed to Peanuts since 2011 without issue. (The Snoopy branding has actually been removed from Starlight Spectacular for the first time in 2017.)

Like John said, Peanuts are timeless and feel like more of a "family" entity than a "child" entity like Sesame Street or Nickelodeon. They're not just cute characters for the kids of today, but they're personalities that people have been growing up with for over half a century. To an extent, the Peanuts capture that same childlike "young-at-heart" nostalgia that Mickey Mouse and the other Disney characters inspire.

Reactions: John and Zachary
Have they made any technical changes to the fountain?

(not that anyone asked, and certainly to take away anyone's fun but I am not a fan of Peanuts.  The comic has never resonated with me nor have the characters.  Frankly it has always felt dated and redundant to me.  (how many times can Lucy yank a football?)  That being said, for me Disney IP fails to inspire or anything else with me...)

Reactions: RollyCoaster
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad