Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I expect Entertainment budgets to be lean for a while. I'd advise keeping expectations in check. ?
Yes definitely expect them to be lean through this year at least. I'd expect things to be largely the same they were in 2019. Maybe they add one house somewhere that they had already begun working on before the shut down.

I am doubtful we would see an event anywhere near the scope of 2019 or prior Howl-O-Scream's this year. With significantly less excess cash flow due to limited operations, and the uncertainty of what September-October will look like in regards to the pandemic.

I would rather see them use this as an opportunity to press the reset button on HoS. When you're starting at zero from 2020, you don't need to come back with an event in 2021 with 6 Houses. If they had 4 completely new houses, 1 or 2 new shows, and a refresh of some Terror-tories/Scare Zones - I think it would be a great event and purges things like Circo Sinistro which has overstayed its welcome.

Unfortunately, limited cash flow and starting from scratch on new things don't really go hand in hand. Sure they can reuse components of the current houses, but to formulate entirely new stories and houses does take some investment, else they would do it every year to keep things fresh.

I am of the opinion that any event is better than no event, and if it is just a few houses we know, I am okay with that, as it beats being locked up in my house the past year.

I think the main issues I've had at the theme park houses is the lack of isolation from other guests and the relatively low scare actor counts inside that usually aren't able to reset or otherwise make themselves known enough to ruin any chance of immersion.

For real, if my group were to go in and not see any of the other groups, plus having enough actors that could effectively use misdirection as a ploy for scares and be able to reset between groups (not always in the same places), then the park could reuse the same sets every year and still be a worthwhile experience to revisit.

Ok, I am prepared to get demolished for this but take a few minutes to watch this video if you have time. This was far from the best year of HOS. Pirates which are not scary, silly food shows, Scott Gasparich (who I actually respect) among them. However, there is still something very magical about this video. Maybe Clint sells it well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I remember this year vividly along with 2016 as being the last few times where HOS felt complete. I don't know how they get back to this but I think as the park has realized they can make even more money while scaling back sets, decor etc they will continue on this path of minimal effort. It just felt like they actually cared back then even if some of the efforts missed the mark.

Developing new houses/attractions does not necessarily mean purchasing a large new amount of props/decorations/effects/costumes. A lot of things from previous attractions can be repurposed. Crates, barrels, cave walls, tents, drapes, metal fences, lights, smoke machines, speakers can all be reformulated to create a new maze. Even if slightly sub-par, in my opinion, would be better than bringing back a maze from 2019.

Given the possible need for continued social distancing, it would be interesting if they tried something like the "Alone" house they used to run in Tampa. I never experienced that attraction for myself so I cannot speak to its success or how good it was, but it would definitely alleviate some crowd distancing issues. Obviously an attraction like this could be longer lines or need to be an upcharge, but the experience could be worth it.

Developing new houses/attractions does not necessarily mean purchasing a large new amount of props/decorations/effects/costumes. A lot of things from previous attractions can be repurposed. Crates, barrels, cave walls, tents, drapes, metal fences, lights, smoke machines, speakers can all be reformulated to create a new maze. Even if slightly sub-par, in my opinion, would be better than bringing back a maze from 2019.

This. I was always impressed by Cut Throat Cove because of how they built that entire new world almost exclusively out of old HOS props. Creativity at its finest. (CTC's biggest problem was just that the pirates weren't scary, but that wasn't the house design's fault.)

Once again I managed to get the leaked info for 2021 HOS. Don's ask how I do it.

Theme - Unearthed: Gasparich's Revenge - The Glitter Monster returns, sort of. We dug out the remaining items from Howl-O-Screams of yesteryear to bring you the most lackluster bit of nostalgia that no one asked for. 8 years in the making.

Houses -

13 10: Your numbers up - featuring the props from the 10 rooms we could find in storage. Will not feature the Acrophobia room which was the best one.

Dead Line - Stand in line at Pompeii. No actual house or attraction featured.

Haunted Home Depot™ - Formerly known as Root of All Evil. Haunted Home Depot is a registered trademark of Off the Tracks Reviews.

Ports of Skoal - We've combined everyone's favorite pirate experience with our best murderous hillbilly themed house.

Sucked - similar to Bitten, but without the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack and no actual actors.

Shows -

Celtic Fryer
- Watch as Irish dancers are doused in flammable glitter and set on fire. Rotating cast, showtimes may vary. Rated G since there are no slutty nurses.

Monster Stomp - Jack is Back Again - Watch as Jack O'Lantern murders whores while singing some of the most popular songs from 2008-2011.

Night Beats - our original show gets a BDSM makeover in the most public venue of Busch Gardens.

Swashbucklers of the Bahamas - New for 2021 - this 100%, absolutely, completely original show follows the escapades of Jim Titmouse, Phil Spinner and Victoria Goose as they attempt to recover the Grey Diamond pirate ship from the dreaded Captain Mimosa and his crew of ghostly pirates.

Once again I managed to get the leaked info for 2021 HOS. Don's ask how I do it.

Theme - Unearthed: Gasparich's Revenge - The Glitter Monster returns, sort of. We dug out the remaining items from Howl-O-Screams of yesteryear to bring you the most lackluster bit of nostalgia that no one asked for. 8 years in the making.

Houses -

13 10: Your numbers up - featuring the props from the 10 rooms we could find in storage. Will not feature the Acrophobia room which was the best one.

Dead Line - Stand in line at Pompeii. No actual house or attraction featured.

Haunted Home Depot™ - Formerly known as Root of All Evil. Haunted Home Depot is a registered trademark of Off the Tracks Reviews.

Ports of Skoal - We've combined everyone's favorite pirate experience with our best murderous hillbilly themed house.

Sucked - similar to Bitten, but without the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack and no actual actors.

Shows -

Celtic Fryer
- Watch as Irish dancers are doused in flammable glitter and set on fire. Rotating cast, showtimes may vary. Rated G since there are no slutty nurses.

Monster Stomp - Jack is Back Again - Watch as Jack O'Lantern murders whores while singing some of the most popular songs from 2008-2011.

Night Beats - our original show gets a BDSM makeover in the most public venue of Busch Gardens.

Swashbucklers of the Bahamas - New for 2021 - this 100%, absolutely, completely original show follows the escapades of Jim Titmouse, Phil Spinner and Victoria Goose as they attempt to recover the Grey Diamond pirate ship from the dreaded Captain Mimosa and his crew of ghostly pirates.
These are great. I miss Off the Tracks Reviews

Reactions: The Quist
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad