Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 28, 2011
Does anyone know if KD has announced any plans around using more food trucks? They recently got approval from Hanover County for a site plan amendment (Project #SPR2019-00043) The documents don't say much but there appears to be references to land disturbance, food trucks and the "Grove Path".

Maybe it has something to do with the new dining concept in Soak City?

Smart move if true. KD really lacks in interesting food options outside of the food supported events. They can offload the risk to 3rd parties while improving the overall guest experience. Longer term they need to fix their overall food strategy, but trucks are a good interim solution.

The problem with food trucks is that I assume they won't be part of the dining plan, which is a disincentive to get the dining plan. Unless, of course, they are included in the dining plan....

What if they’re not outside vendors, but park-owned food trucks? The food truck they had during Winterfest had things on the dining plan.

Reactions: wombat96
The problem with food trucks is that I assume they won't be part of the dining plan, which is a disincentive to get the dining plan. Unless, of course, they are included in the dining plan....

My gut is that margins are higher, and possibly much higher, on a'la carte food purchases than a dining plan, with an exception for the subset of users who end up under-utilizing the dining plan. Dining plans help guests get over the psychological hurdle of paying for park food to encourage more visits and make more of other purchases in general. I doubt adding more food options outside the dining plan would change that equation much unless the guests simply don't like what is offered in the dining plan and only want food truck food.

Since the dining plan is a sunk cost for guests, encouraging a'la carte buying at non-dining plan locations is almost a double profit for KD. They get the profit on the a'la carte items and avoid the costs that would be incurred in the guest using the dining plan.

Reactions: Mushroom
So if it's not-KD trucks, would the park likely be charging a fee for them to be there so the trucks would likely up their prices to recoup?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad