Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jun 17, 2011
Manassas
zachcphoto.com
While looking through my late grandfather's thousands of film slides from the last several decades, we came across a handful of photos taken at Old Country. Thought some of you might enjoy them. The people featured in most of the photos are my dad, uncle, and grandmother. All of the photos were taken in July 1976, with the exception of the Der Hochbeinige photo, which was taken in May 1988. It's very likely there could be more slides floating around in the probably hundreds of boxes he has, so I'll follow up if any more turn up. Haven't figured out exactly what to do with them yet, but for now they're being hosted on my Flickr account, so you can view all of them there. All the original photos were taken by Bill Clarke (my grandfather).

This is my first attempt at photographing 35mm slides (using a lightbox and DSLR, then color correcting in Lightroom), so apologies if the quality isn't great. Going to attempt to 3D print a macro extension tube to get sharper images, so if that yields better results I'll update the photos.

I was also able to grab photos of Magic Kingdom (1972, 1973, 1974) and Cypress Gardens (what eventually became Legoland Florida - 1968); can post links to those when they go up if anyone's interested. I've seen evidence of a trip to Kings Dominion in the late 70's, but haven't come across any actual slides from there yet unfortunately.

bgoc-1976-01-16.jpg
bgoc-1976-2-5.jpg
bgoc-1976-03-3.jpg
bgoc-1976-04-15.jpg
bgoc-1976-05-8.jpg
bgoc-1976-07-23.jpg
bgoc-1976-08-19.jpg
bgoc-1976-09-10.jpg
bgoc-1976-10-2.jpg
bgoc-1976-11-13.jpg
bgoc-1976-12-22.jpg
bgoc-1976-13-1.jpg
bgoc-1976-14-1.jpg
bgoc-1976-15-20.jpg
bgoc-1976-16-17.jpg
bgoc-1976-17-9.jpg
bgoc-1976-18-11.jpg
bgoc-1976-19-1.jpg
bgoc-1976-20-4.jpg
bgoc-1976-22-6.jpg
bgoc-1988-01-12.jpg

Last edited:
Holy shit @zachclarke2! You struck gold, man! These are the highest quality photos I’ve seen of most the things captured.

That Das Kätzchen photo in particular—that‘s not only the best photo I’ve ever seen of coaster, but it also shows far more of the layout than we’ve ever seen before!

Other gems include the Three Musketeers theater shot, the Hastings photos of course, and the shots of Der Blitzschneller and Die Schwarze Spinne. Incredible quality, unique angles, etc.

Great photos! Interesting that the gift shop and shooting gallery in Hastings don't seem to have their thatched roofs; they look like shingles. (Compare to Google Street View at https://goo.gl/maps/U96UPaTNWxLcZD3b8.). I was an infant when these pictures were taken, and other than color, don't remember those roofs ever being different.

Reactions: Merboy and Mwe BGW
The 3D printed macro extension tube was a success! The photos in my original post and on Flickr have been updated with higher resolution versions. I'm not sure about the resolution limitations on this site, but if you press "L" on the keyboard while viewing a photo on Flickr, it'll display in full resolution in Flickr's 'lightbox.'

The main issue I was facing last night was loss of resolution due to having to crop my images down so much, for example here's a straight-off-my-camera photo from last night:

1614130845519.png

Unfortunately this is about as good as I can do with my kit lens due to its minimum focus distance. The macro extension tube brings this focus distance much closer to the camera, so I can fill more of the frame with the actual slide, thus a lot less detail is lost in cropping. Here's my new setup, and a straight-off-the-camera photo from tonight for comparison:

1614131023522.png
1614132027905.png

The difference in sharpness is pretty drastic; here's a direct comparison between the scans with and without the macro extension:

Untitled-1.jpg

I also color corrected them again in Lightroom, this time referencing each slide one by one as I did them, to try to maintain the look and colors of the slides as close as possible. If anyone's got any advice to get even better quality scans, I'd be happy to try out something else. I know absolutely nothing about film scanning but this has been a fun undertaking the last couple of days.

Really happy to see the photos so well regarded. I've only known about these for about a week, but they already mean so much to me and I'm glad to be able to share them here. ALSO, this might be sort of a weird offer, but if anyone is interested in having a print of any of the photos, I'd be happy to have some done and sell them at cost since I'll probably be printing a few of them for myself.

Last edited:
Seeing the picture of the log flume reminds me of the old debate here about whether the log flume had a rise after the drop in the middle of the ride, as otherwise, the support structure would just be incredibly odd.

Reactions: wombat96
Seeing the picture of the log flume reminds me of the old debate here about whether the log flume had a rise after the drop in the middle of the ride, as otherwise, the support structure would just be incredibly odd.
It’s there! My mom said it existed

We’d love to see them! Probably the best approach would be to make a new thread in the history board for BGW costumed characters. Honestly they’re probably discussed here less than they deserve to be.

Reactions: wombat96
I was gonna ask about that because, as far as I know, that was a pretty rare (and modern) feature in Arrow log flumes way back when. Does anyone know when this element was removed?

Reactions: Mwe BGW

Responded to this HERE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad