Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
I have not ridden this ride in a while. I remember you could see Wolfie from it so I was wondering, can you see Verbolten from Der Wirbelwind?

jackelope17 said:
I have not ridden this ride in a while. I remember you could see Wolfie from it so I was wondering, can you see Verbolten from Der Wirbelwind?

Yes you can... Just look to your left when riding.

Such a fun ride to ride (and to operate). Does get some nasty crowds on busy days though. Chair swings are definitely some of the more fun flat rides out there.

EDIT: Height restriction is actually 40 inches (double seats) and 48 inches (ride alone - single seats)

Don't know if it's anything particularly special but I dug up a picture of Der Wirbelwind in its original location in Oktoberfest (where Mach Tower is now located). Also of note is the now removed Oktoberfest-Rhinefield bridge in the background.

Attachments

• bgwlwirbel.jpg
    bgwlwirbel.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 176
Is the bridge located where the store behind the beer and pretzle hall is now?

netdvn said:
Those Oktoberfest signs are still standing, but in a different spot. From the map it looks like it was situated where the carousel horse photo-op is today.

hmmm...

Does anyone have any idea why on many of the Wave swingers they stopped using the central control booth located within the ride?

It's a shame that bridge is gone. Looks like an excellent shortcut for walkers heading to San Marco. Why was it removed? To keep keep people heading towards Das Festhaus I guess.

Reactions: Party Rocker
Peter R. said:
Does anyone have any idea why on many of the Wave swingers they stopped using the central control booth located within the ride?

That Exists? I guess it does make sense that the mirrors on the bottom are one-way windows. Now that I think of it, it would be pretty cool to work in one of those. It would be like I'm piloting a spaceship. But to answer your question, I have no idea. Sorry.

Villsum said:
That Exists? I guess it does make sense that the mirrors on the bottom are one-way windows. Now that I think of it, it would be pretty cool to work in one of those. It would be like I'm piloting a spaceship. But to answer your question, I have no idea. Sorry.

I am pretty sure that feature exists on Zierer Waveswingers which is the make and model of the one at BGW. What I don't know is if that is only an option on portable versions ( for instance). For an example of a waveswinger with a central control area see the Third picture down on this site.

Reactions: Zachary
Nora said:
I know the quality is not so good; but this was a screen capture from a film I have. Thought it would nice to share it here.

Great pic, Nora!

I really miss the early days of Oktoberfest at night.

The lighting in motion from Wirbelwind, Die Schwarze Spinne, and Der Blitzschneller really made it seem more festive than it is now.

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad