Concepts Think Tank

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Jul 16, 2019
A festival centered around the Carnival of Venice would be a fun and unique add to the park.
Pilot the concept as part of Hallowscream.

Apr 4, 2017
New France and Acqutaine represent 2 difference counties (although one is on North America lol). The 3!UK areas are also three different countries.

But Oktoberfest and Rhinefeld are the sane country as well as San Marco and Festa Italia

Rhinefeld could fairly easily be transformed to Switzerland and Festa to Greece. It would add a little more depth to the overall theme.

They really missed the boat on transforming to Greece as Pantheon could have been themed to Greek Gods.

Spain and a Scandinavian country are also noteably missing.

Oct 7, 2011
Before Hastings became Ireland, there were two England hamlets too.

My never-gonna-happen wish list would see New France become Switzerland, Rhinefeld become Austria, and Festa become Greece, with Greece extending more fully into the fields (i.e., not just one big ride in that Festa Field space). And a new ped bridge between Greece and Festhaus Park, which would become Spain.

The trouble with additional hamlets, though, is that the park would become notably more expensive to operate -- not just from an infrastructure and utility standpoint but also with required headcount. I doubt very much that the incremental admissions and in-park revenue opportunities tied to new hamlets would "pay for themselves" in perpetuity, which really means "more than pay for themselves" in perpetuity. Average admission prices would need to rise. I'm not sure how/if they could realistically expect to substantially raise admission prices and permanently improve, much less maintain, financial performance vs. a no-expansion scenario.

And that's one reason why I personally think the park is willing to drop big rides in both of its open fields in the near future. They could someday decide to build hamlets around those rides, but there are no realistic scenarios under which they see major footprint expansion as a winning financial play in the foreseeable future. So the opportunity cost associated with using those areas for sprawling rides is notably lower than it otherwise would seem to be.

But yeah, I'd want Switzerland, Austria, a big Greece, and a completely new Spain. Personally I find it hard to imagine something like a Belgium or Norway hamlet without a lot more water interaction than the available land area + watershed regulations allow.

Aug 25, 2018
Why not just swap Rhinefeld and Oktoberfest and keep their roller coasters in the same place? Alpengeist is themed to the Alps, which fit better with Oktoberfest. Verbolten is themed to the Black Forest, which isn’t in the part of Germany that Oktoberfest is themed to and is closer to the Rhineland, which is more than likely the area of Germany that Rhinefeld is themed to.

Also, we definitely need Russian and Scandinavian hamlets, maybe even a Dutch hamlet. I also wouldn’t mind a Spanish hamlet.

Jul 16, 2019
Before Hastings became Ireland, there were two England hamlets too.

My never-gonna-happen wish list would see New France become Switzerland, Rhinefeld become Austria, and Festa become Greece, with Greece extending more fully into the fields (i.e., not just one big ride in that Festa Field space). And a new ped bridge between Greece and Festhaus Park, which would become Spain.

The trouble with additional hamlets, though, is that the park would become notably more expensive to operate -- not just from an infrastructure and utility standpoint but also with required headcount. I doubt very much that the incremental admissions and in-park revenue opportunities tied to new hamlets would "pay for themselves" in perpetuity, which really means "more than pay for themselves" in perpetuity. Average admission prices would need to rise. I'm not sure how/if they could realistically expect to substantially raise admission prices and permanently improve, much less maintain, financial performance vs. a no-expansion scenario.

And that's one reason why I personally think the park is willing to drop big rides in both of its open fields in the near future. They could someday decide to build hamlets around those rides, but there are no realistic scenarios under which they see major footprint expansion as a winning financial play in the foreseeable future. So the opportunity cost associated with using those areas for sprawling rides is notably lower than it otherwise would seem to be.

But yeah, I'd want Switzerland, Austria, a big Greece, and a completely new Spain. Personally I find it hard to imagine something like a Belgium or Norway hamlet without a lot more water interaction than the available land area + watershed regulations allow.
Just an observation... probably has been discussed before.
It’s not likely there will be a significant step-up in park attendance and new hamlets until a very big play occurs - perhaps when the island adjacent the golf course is developed. That’s when the hotels get built (possibly buffering park from golf course), and BGW transforms from 1-day experience to 3-day destination resort.

Reactions: tursiops
Oct 7, 2011
Just an observation... probably has been discussed before.
It’s not likely there will be a significant step-up in park attendance and new hamlets until a very big play occurs - perhaps when the island adjacent the golf course is developed. That’s when the hotels get built (possibly buffering park from golf course), and BGW transforms from 1-day experience to 3-day destination resort.
Not sure if hotels will ever prove to be feasible. But adding more hamlets certainly would make the full park experience a multi-day endeavor, at least for slower walkers and busy-day visitors.

Reactions: tursiops
Aug 25, 2018
Gasp I just realized smthg...

How could the park have possibly forgotten abt the world power of Luxembourg? And what abt the super power of Transnistria?! How could the park be so negligent to these great powers while simultaneously having hamlets themed to such historically and geopolitically irrelevant countries as Germany and England?

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
To answer the original question, I think it boils down to the history of each area. Oktoberfest was the park’s first expansion and, since it opened just one year after the park, probably seemed like more of an extension of Rhinefeld. Plus, I have read that August Busch felt it was important to celebrate the Busch family’s German heritage- hence making the German theme the focal point of his park.

As for Festa, my take is that its original purpose was to use the Marco Polo theme as an excuse to showcase themes from countries that otherwise couldn’t be represented with the park’s European theme, like the Middle East and the Orient- sort of in the way Marco Polo’s Marketplace takes advantage of that theme today. Plus, when Festa opened it consisted entirely of flat rides, so maybe it was deemed that a fairground-themed area was the most appropriate for an expansion designed to increase the park’s flat ride lineup.

Aug 19, 2019
What about Busch Gardens using the drachen fire building and calling it “Phönix fire” meaning Phoenix because Phoenix’s rise from the ashes

Oct 7, 2011
With the "Phönix" spelling it would at least sound German...

The marketing imagery can focus on the bird's talons, like the logo for -- well -- Talon at Dorney.

"Get HOOKED on Phönix... only at Busch Gardens Williamsburg."

Nov 24, 2009
Ok, so bc I was thinking Friday night while walking through the employee smoking area to get to the tree trail....what if they used the Alpen queue? They could decorate the trees in the queue with lights, and use the entire queue and not the shortcut. Then when you get to the station house you just go straight through, out the fence there and bam your right there at the tree trail queue. That would add a huge addition to the tree trail and it’s already decorated with snow.

Mar 16, 2016
Ok, so bc I was thinking Friday night while walking through the employee smoking area to get to the tree trail....what if they used the Alpen queue? They could decorate the trees in the queue with lights, and use the entire queue and not the shortcut. Then when you get to the station house you just go straight through, out the fence there and bam your right there at the tree trail queue. That would add a huge addition to the tree trail and it’s already decorated with snow.
I think that’s a great reuse of an area not being used. IMO the queue areas of unused attractions during CT and HOS is something that could be done a little better.

Although the fact were in year two of BfE and they haven’t done a special version of a haunted hill or a Santa V Krampmus (got such a great idea here) for CT and HOS is my single biggest disappointment with BGW/SEAS right now.

Reactions: LudwigII
Nov 24, 2009
Espically for Alpengiest which is winter themed year round. That sould be a major focus at Christmas.

Feb 14, 2019
Could it be that maintenance has parts and pieces laying about the station so they can't use the space as a queue to another attraction?

Reactions: BenWilkerson
Login or Register to Hide This Ad