Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

CoasterAuditor

Theme parks are cool
Jul 5, 2017
Richmond, VA
Good evening,

*bows*

Knotts Berry Farm. Where to begin? Well obviously it’s the quirky little market area outside the park. Thursday last week my friend and I went to Knotts with the objective of credit running the park, checking it out, and checking out Scary Farm open to close with Fast and Fright Lane. I had high expectations given what I’ve seen and heard about Knotts. I was STILL blown away. Even without Xcelerator and Monty running this park was just a vibe.

The Ghost Town area is just amazing to see in a theme park and it was easily the best western section of any park I’ve ever visited. It encompasses most of the left half of the park. The landscaping everywhere I went in the park was on par with most Busch parks arguably better in my opinion. Each section had an extremely strong cohesive theme between each of the attractions and food stands. The food was incredible the BBQ restaurant in Ghost Town was exceptional with very tender pulled pork, and we did hit the Chicken Dinner restaurant. I had the famous chicken dinner which was fantastic but definitely A LOT of food. If you go here ABSOLUTELY try the boysenberry beer assuming you enjoy beer. I also ate some kind of caramel boysenberry bomb. 🥰

Oh um rides, yeah so GhostRider is an elite wooden coaster, I like it more than all the GCIs I’ve ridden which slots it above Mystic Timbers for me. That ride is excellent I loved the relentless pacing it maintained throughout and how it stayed within the structure as much as it did. Strong laterals at the end. It’s unfortunate it draws such a long line. I got 6 laps total.

Hangtime exceeded my expectations I’d personally take it over any B&M Dive. Had moments of strong ejector airtime and best of all the lap bar leaves you feeling quite exposed. The light package looks fantastic in person I must admit. I want an infinity on the east coast!

Silver Bullet also exceeded expectations. It’s a fairly strong invert. The drop obviously is shallow but the rest of the ride is very enjoyable and unique. It’s glass smooth as well. I liked the extreme overbank into the ultra smooth cobra roll. The reverse corkscrews over the lake into a death helix is an excellent finale as well.

The remaining coasters, Sierra Sidewinder was a GREAT time do not skip this ride. It is much more intense than its placement in Camp Snoopy suggests. Pony Express was fun may ride once per visit but nothing to write home about the tunnel ending by the rapids is a nice touch. Jaguar was probably the best Zierer Tivoli ever by far. Um yay for that? I did like how its station was in a large ziggurat. That was a very cool tough in the park. Coast Rider was like “If Apple Zapple was just absolutely awful” literally since it has the same layout. I admit I expected it to be worse on my shins than it ultimately was.

Oh you bet your ass I rode Timber Mountain Log Ride as there was a Halloween Hootenanny to attend! We didn’t get to this ride until later in the night and this point honestly Knotts might as well been running victory laps around me because I was in LOVE with this park. There are SOO MANY animatronics inside this thing. I won’t spoil but it’s by far the best log flume I’ve done I love it I want to ride it again right now. NOW.

Knotts Beary Tales was basically a Knotts version of Toy Story Mania which I enjoyed greatly! (Again just victory laps at this point)

Scary Farm, now there’s a lot to Scary Farm and I’m not the most knowledgeable on haunted mazes, attractions, or scare acting. I’ve attended KD Haunt for years so I went into this expecting “Super KD Haunt” um no. Wrong. Very wrong “KD Haunt” is “Scary Farms lil baby cousin” or something. It’s hard to explain because this event made KD Haunt seem like I’ve been attending “half of an event” for years. Granted Scary Farm benefits from being the original and the parks intimate feel contributes heavily to the ability to create excellence.

There were 10 mazes in this haunt, I’m not going to type a paragraph about each of them and the pace we knocked them out made it overwhelming in the end for me to remember all the details. But I’m not kidding, these were much longer, much more intense, and much more detailed than anything I’ve ever seen before. There were significantly more scare actors than any maze I’ve ever seen before in most of them. There were also several very large very elaborate animatronics some of which succeeded at jumping me. Several of the mazes apparently had a story and featured actual scenes where the monsters did something together. Bungees and tracks scare actors were hanging from were a common occurrence. Each maze had its own unique cohesive theme. Ghost Town was easily the best scare zone I’ve ever seen it was somewhat stressful walking through the first time the fog was extremely thick and there were scare actors everywhere. They also do Halloween overlays to the log flume as noted and the Calico Mine Ride (which I did not get to).

So yeah I love Knotts Berry Farm I cannot wait to go back why is it so far away???!? Easily my 2nd favorite cedar fair park. I’m glad the first thing I did in California was go to this park as the park I visited the following two days was a bit overwhelming and certainly less quality, quite a bit more quantity though, intensity too…….

Thank you for reading my raving about Knotts. If you haven’t been, yeah I would.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad