Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jonesta6

Kehoe
Feb 14, 2019
I got some tickets during their black Friday sale, and am trying to figure out when's the best time to go.

The thought is to go during the week when area schools are still mostly in session, however the concern is ensuring all coasters are open and lines are relatively small if I went then.

Anyone have have advice?

I got some tickets during their black Friday sale, and am trying to figure out when's the best time to go.

The thought is to go during the week when area schools are still mostly in session, however the concern is ensuring all coasters are open and lines are relatively small if I went then.

Anyone have have advice?

If you go mid-week in May before Memorial Day, so May 23-25, that should be your best bet. All local schools are still in session then, but you shouldn't have issues with rides being closed. That's typically only an issue on opening weekend.

Reactions: Ziva and Jonesta6
Oh, I was going to do two days either way - long trip to Ohio to go only one day
Whew. Thought you were trying to do all day.

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been there but IIRC, the back half of the park (where Mav, SB, XL, and Milleni are) has the more popular coasters and stays busier; meanwhile the front half has more of the flats and tends to be less crowded. I would consider breaking up the park geographically. Either put some of the popular coasters on opposing days (so a left/right division of the day) or load one day with them (front/back division). Personally I would opt for the left/right option as CPs flats aren’t special, so loading all your popular coasters on one day could make the other day boring.

Whew. Thought you were trying to do all day.

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been there but IIRC, the back half of the park (where Mav, SB, XL, and Milleni are) has the more popular coasters and stays busier; meanwhile the front half has more of the flats and tends to be less crowded. I would consider breaking up the park geographically. Either put some of the popular coasters on opposing days (so a left/right division of the day) or load one day with them (front/back division). Personally I would opt for the left/right option as CPs flats aren’t special, so loading all your popular coasters on one day could make the other day boring.

Never thought of doing it that way - last time I was there with friends we had one friend that wanted to go from Maverick to Raptor and back to MF, over to Magnum, etc - basically hiking half mile between each ride. Eventually we pulled them aside and said to just go to the next ride over and not the one on the other end of the peninsula.

With @themeparktribune's suggestion, perhaps I could get most in on both days since there'll probably be less lines to deal with

Growing up, we always made it a one day at the park, but that was because it was usually just added to our trip we usually took to see family in Ohio/Indiana/Michigan. The only time I made a dedicated trip to CP, we did 2 days plus the twilight ticket the night we arrived, since we were only coming from PA that time. Can you get the park done in a day? On the right, low crowded day, yes. Do you want to after taking a long drive, just to take another back? No.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Never thought of doing it that way - last time I was there with friends we had one friend that wanted to go from Maverick to Raptor and back to MF, over to Magnum, etc - basically hiking half mile between each ride. Eventually we pulled them aside and said to just go to the next ride over and not the one on the other end of the peninsula.

With @themeparktribune's suggestion, perhaps I could get most in on both days since there'll probably be less lines to deal with
It was a group trip about 6 years ago with fellow enthusiasts mid summer when we did that. We started at SFNJ moving west to CP, and it was at HP (our home park) where we talked about attacking CP like we do HP. At HP we would treat Frontier as the line of stay "south" or "north" of that line and only do that part of the park. We questioned why we should just jump around at CP.

Reactions: Jonesta6
I was there a total of one day, but starting with Sunday night which was open until 10. My main day was with Fastlane+ but still did quite a bit that first night, including a Millie night ride. Unless you're going for it both days, that's your real division.

If you don't get FL+ are you destined to have hours long waits for coasters regardless of what day you go? I haven't been in a LONG time. Planning to go some time this year. And also to Kings Island.

If you don't get FL+ are you destined to have hours long waits for coasters regardless of what day you go? I haven't been in a LONG time. Planning to go some time this year. And also to Kings Island.
Last time I was there (pre-covid), waits werent bad. Worst line was for SV, but all other rides were pretty short (30 min or less). SV was 3-4 hours, but that was opening year with 1 train. We went to SV first thing at rope drop from the northern most entrance, and still waited about 45 min- 1 hr for it. Every other time I've been there, we went on either Tuesdays or Thursdays in early-mid June, and the only lines that were consistently long (aside from SV) were Maverick and MF, which mostly had 1-1.5 hour waits. SV year, we got 3 MF rides in about 40 min due to everyone being at the back of the park. Again, all of this may be useless info since I haven't been to any park since COVID.

Reactions: Crunchewy
There were several coasters that if you needed FL, it still wasn't worth it, due to the merge point: WT, Corkscrew, Magnum. But some more premium coasters merge right at the station, e.g Valravn and Maverick. Also didn't use it on BS, Gemini, ID, or Roug, lucked into a short wait on Raptor, and used closing time for MF. But this was 2019, late August. I didn't get to ride SV because didn't go there immediately upon arriving, and then it went down for 1.5 days.

No, I wouldn't say the hours-long waits come along every day you go. But even on slow days, I've seen SV and Maverick have 60 min.+ during the peak attendance part of the day. That doesn't mean you need FL+ that day, more that you should hit those coasters early or later to avoid their longest lines.

I'm not sure where else to put this, but I will leave it here. We visited the park for the first time this weekend and today (Monday) figuring 2.5 days would give us time to ride and take in the park. The rides are all great (if a bit overhyped....Fury beats Millenium Force any day in my opinion). My main complaint is the food...or lack thereof. Almost none of the quick service options have been open on any of the days we have visited. We ate at the Farmhouse Kitchen for lunch today and it was mediocre at best. By the time we got our food and to a table, the food was cold. The weirdest part is that the park is busy...marching bands, sports teams, dance teams, school field trips, and normal travelers and yet it is all closed. The French Quarter Confections will be open today....at 6:00. The park closes at 8:00. Frontier Trail looks like a ghost town. Literally, everything in it, food or not, has been closed the whole time. I don't know when any of this will be fixed, but if you are planning a trip soon, I would maybe bring in something to snack on in-between meals.

We are going in July. I'd imagine everything would be open then, but I don't know how the food compares to KD. KD has some good food options. What are the good food options, if any, at Cedar Point?

We are going in July. I'd imagine everything would be open then, but I don't know how the food compares to KD. KD has some good food options. What are the good food options, if any, at Cedar Point?
We did eat Hugo’s too. It was far better than the Farmhouse Kitchen, which wasn't bad, but the crowds caused the food to get cold when waiting to check-out. I'm not a CP expert, but this was just my experience. IMO, KD, and Carowinds have better food overall.

Just got back from my trip and to spare some of the details:

I have tried hard to avoid paying extra for the Fast Lane pass because it's usually really expensive and the program as a whole tends to erode the facade of fun when there's a money grab and class warfare (termed by Kevin's Defunctland video - Disney may have popularized ways to get people to pay extra for partially skipping a queue, but damned if every other park didn't try to get their own version), it's become a necessity unfortunately.

While I can respect that the staff seemed to be generally working hard, it stunk that many of the coasters had some form of downtime through each day - not sure if it's needing better maintenance staffing or something else impacting this. Maverick was the most egregious example of this.

I generally enjoyed most rides though if they replaced the older Arrow rides I wouldn't be too unhappy - they don't feel as loved and cherished by the park as Nessie is by BGW IMO. Also, I'd be perfectly happy with either or both Gatekeeper and Rougarou in Virginia - they're great rides of their respective types.

Though unexpected, I think my next visit will definitely include time dedicated to being on the beach if the weather cooperates - it offers a nice respite from the crowds on the midways and in queues.

While I had the drinks wristband both days and made use of it (only need 4 drinks each day to get my money's worth), I only got a full meal once at BackbeatQue. Generous portions, sides were good, and though it wasn't what I'd expect if I were to go to a true Texas-style smokehouse the brisket wasn't half bad either. The main criticism I have is I wish they house-made their sauce.

I stayed off property in Sandusky proper by the waterfront, and had a good time. As noted elsewhere, I learned to not order an Old Fashioned as nobody knows how to make one (they all got bourbon in the glass though, so points for that). Given the feeling of money-grabbing by the park, it was a good feeling to spread my custom to the true locals too.

The one major criticism of the whole experience was dealing with line cutting. Apparently kids up there think it's ok for a large group of their friends to join one or two others further up in line, as if the 'excuse me' bit should work. In one instance it got so bad that security actually got involved taking statements from us and the offending party, though they otherwise did nothing while agreeing the other party was in the wrong - how did that not result in an immediate ejection from the park baffles me considering all the signs and spiels stating as much.

Otherwise, I got much better views of the TTD project site including observing some pressure washing action on the track - at the time of writing this it's unclear what the end result will be though I'm guessing it's painting related.

One other thing that was made clear on a trip up Valravn was there seems to be an awfully large space next to the midway grandstand cleared out - there also appears to have an adjacent part of the marina parking lot on the other side of the fence blocked off and cleared out. I'm not sure if that's been like that for awhile or if that's normal, but my suspicion if not is there may be a new attraction of some kind heading there before too long.

Overall, I'm not sure if I would want to go back anytime soon unless someone else pays for me (highly unlikely) - they're trying to emulate Disney's pricing strategies a little too hard while also skimping on the overall experience.

Just got back from my trip and to spare some of the details:

I have tried hard to avoid paying extra for the Fast Lane pass because it's usually really expensive and the program as a whole tends to erode the facade of fun when there's a money grab and class warfare (termed by Kevin's Defunctland video - Disney may have popularized ways to get people to pay extra for partially skipping a queue, but damned if every other park didn't try to get their own version), it's become a necessity unfortunately.

While I can respect that the staff seemed to be generally working hard, it stunk that many of the coasters had some form of downtime through each day - not sure if it's needing better maintenance staffing or something else impacting this. Maverick was the most egregious example of this.

I generally enjoyed most rides though if they replaced the older Arrow rides I wouldn't be too unhappy - they don't feel as loved and cherished by the park as Nessie is by BGW IMO. Also, I'd be perfectly happy with either or both Gatekeeper and Rougarou in Virginia - they're great rides of their respective types.

Though unexpected, I think my next visit will definitely include time dedicated to being on the beach if the weather cooperates - it offers a nice respite from the crowds on the midways and in queues.

While I had the drinks wristband both days and made use of it (only need 4 drinks each day to get my money's worth), I only got a full meal once at BackbeatQue. Generous portions, sides were good, and though it wasn't what I'd expect if I were to go to a true Texas-style smokehouse the brisket wasn't half bad either. The main criticism I have is I wish they house-made their sauce.

I stayed off property in Sandusky proper by the waterfront, and had a good time. As noted elsewhere, I learned to not order an Old Fashioned as nobody knows how to make one (they all got bourbon in the glass though, so points for that). Given the feeling of money-grabbing by the park, it was a good feeling to spread my custom to the true locals too.

The one major criticism of the whole experience was dealing with line cutting. Apparently kids up there think it's ok for a large group of their friends to join one or two others further up in line, as if the 'excuse me' bit should work. In one instance it got so bad that security actually got involved taking statements from us and the offending party, though they otherwise did nothing while agreeing the other party was in the wrong - how did that not result in an immediate ejection from the park baffles me considering all the signs and spiels stating as much.

Otherwise, I got much better views of the TTD project site including observing some pressure washing action on the track - at the time of writing this it's unclear what the end result will be though I'm guessing it's painting related.

One other thing that was made clear on a trip up Valravn was there seems to be an awfully large space next to the midway grandstand cleared out - there also appears to have an adjacent part of the marina parking lot on the other side of the fence blocked off and cleared out. I'm not sure if that's been like that for awhile or if that's normal, but my suspicion if not is there may be a new attraction of some kind heading there before too long.

Overall, I'm not sure if I would want to go back anytime soon unless someone else pays for me (highly unlikely) - they're trying to emulate Disney's pricing strategies a little too hard while also skimping on the overall experience.
Excellent post and particularly relevant to me as BGW has been my goto park for 13 years. I'm making my first visit, for 3.5 days, next month. Money grabs bother me too, especially since it seems maintenance staffing is an ongoing issue. I did buy FL+ for 2 days and a VIP tour for 1 day. The price was painful but I didn't want anything preventable to detract from our first visit.

Since it was your first visit too, in hindsight, would FLP have been worth it? Also, how would you compare the overall vibe to BGW? BGW is a theme park, and is really successful at capturing the idealized European feel, while CP is a ride based amusement park. Did you feel any of the magic that BGW seems to give off in a cloud? To me great ride experiences would make up for a lesser visual presentation.

Curious about how you think:
Valravn compares to Griffon
Corkscrew compares to Nessie
Skyhawk compares to Finnegan
Raptor compares to Alpengeist

Are there any other similar rides? What's the Apollo and Pantheon of the park? One of my most anticipated CP rides is Steel Vengeance. I went to BGT last year and Iron Gwazi is my favorite coaster, though Pantheon is #2.

I wouldn't make most of the ride comparisons you mention - considering CP is basically flat while BGW's rides make use of the terrain, the ride experiences are different. Not to mention, they don't have most of the same ride models (granted, Arrow rides have a lot of technical similarities to each other if not similar ride experiences). Overall CP is much more of an amusement park than having any cohesive theming

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad