Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Hey, everyone.

As most of y'all probably know, BGWFans looks forward with great anticipation to every opportunity to review interesting food at the park. Happily for us, F&WF season is almost upon us.

As we have done in the past, we plan to publish a short review of the 16 March Food & Wine Festival Preview (at the Member Sneak Peek). This year, we would like to invite anyone who is interested to join us in tasting the samples. We are looking for a variety of perspectives to include in our comments about each of the new dishes.

We will meet at 1:40 on the patio behind Josephine’s, since the check-in for the 2 pm tasting is at the Cuba kiosk.

If you are interested in joining, please respond in this thread. Obviously, everyone will need a ticket for the 2pm tasting, which we recommend purchasing soon.

Buy you're ticket and be there on time. Those are the only requirements aside from, you know, tasting everything offered and giving us your thoughts right afterwards.

Reactions: Nicole
Sorry. I should have said that. We have a few ground rules:
  1. Everyone must taste and judge everything.
  2. Everyone pays for themselves.
  3. Everyone needs to be prepared with comments and rating after each dish.

For reference:

"Menu includes: Carne Asada Tacos, Fried Shrimp Tacos, Chicken Adobo, Pineapple Coconut Mousse & Lavender Lemonade"

Reactions: Zachary
Where do I buy the ticket. I must be blind but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I would like to. I would try everything except for the shrimp taco, not really a fan of seafood. Are there any exceptions if one doesn’t like what’s on the menu?

Typically when we do an actual tasting team and tackle something like the entirety of Food & Wine for our yearly review, everyone has to try everything. That said, realistically, in this more open format, we'll almost certainly take input from everyone even if they don't try everything.

How many people end up participating and what the data we bring home looks like will determine what we ultimately do with the information. We plan to do a frontpage BGWFans article (of course), but no promises as to what that finished product will look like or include.

Just for context, both Zachary and I have taste aversions to certain types of foods, but we force ourselves to eat them every year. We do not think you can fairly rank dishes unless you have tried them all.

But as @Zachary said, that is for the full F&WF review.

Do you feel taste aversions make you more biased against certain dishes, or more objective in your reviews? (Serious question. I've never really thought about critiquing a type of food to which I'm usually averse, and I find this concept interesting.)

Reactions: Rhaw757
I think it forces us to be more objective.

I hate chocolate (yes, I know, deal with it) but I can cognitively understand what a good or interesting chocolate dish tastes like despite really not liking it personally.

Ultimately, I think the main reason we require everyone try everything when we're doing a serious review is that we often find ourselves being surprised by things we really shouldn't like on paper, but find enjoyable in practice. Details like that make for a great tidbit of information in a review.

Reactions: ..… and Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad