Call for Ideas: New Membership Program Perks

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

BBW

Jun 10, 2010
Dinwiddie County, VA
Heck, I just want the plastic pass, like so many of you are saying.

A darn plastic pass card (with up to one included free per year, in your choice of BGW-inspired design) would feel like a real perk to me. Would a plastic pass card really be such a great expense? They sure seem resistant to offering it as a free/included membership perk.

I still have my first Bronze pass with the clydesdale foal as a souvenir, as well as my BBW Germany Gold one. Honestly, a plastic pass card would be all that it would take to make me feel kind of appreciated as a member.

Side note -- Of course I paid for a plastic Conservation Fund one end of 2017 season, only to have to switch to the Membership program come spring 2018, and back to a paper one.

Nov 24, 2009
I wish I could get my pass back on my passbook on my phone. It worked before the "memberships" but once those came around it gives you the option in the BGW app but it wont actually add it t passbook.

Oct 7, 2011
How much revenue does a locker bring in per season? I wonder if giving it exclusively to a pass holder for $100 per season (as I interpreted a previous post to suggest) places it above the price most people would be willing to pay, but also below the seasonal revenue that locker would bring in under normal ad-hoc rental operation. Not great if true.

If the park has far more locker supply than demand calls for most of the time, then maybe it at least makes sense from the park’s POV...

Apr 16, 2017
A little off topic but some people will use the Brauhaus as a sort of escape from the main dining/show area and the volume level. This past season it seemed it was being used as a breast feeding lounge, too, a couple of times we were there. I think with all the PC stuff the staff was afraid to say anything so the problem seemed to increase as the season went along. So, what's worse? Screaming kids or breast feeding moms or both? And how do you prevent it? Again, off topic but I saw so many people smoking cigarettes or e-cigarettes walking around in the park and not one employee would challenge or stop it. Actually saw one guy blow smoke in the face of an employee in Ireland and still nothing. My point is maybe the employees need better training about what is PC or not and then enforce the rules. Sorry but I just had to throw that last part in here. If they started smoking in a lounge is an employee going to stop it?
Breastfeeding in public is 100% legal in Virginia and employees are specifically told, mothers can breastfeed wherever they please and not to say anything to them about it.

Smoking and such employees are told to direct guests to a designated area. But most just dont care.

Mar 18, 2017
I guess the other thing I would like to add to the benefit/perk list is this: When BGW/WC offer QQ or other benefits/perks....DON'T put restrictions as to when they can be used. As Zachary stated earlier, it was a pain to coordinate a time to get the Christmas ornament. What difference does it make to them which day I want to redeem my benefit. Obviously the Wine & Food has to be used in a specific period just as I would expect the ornament to only be available during CT. If they offer another lanyard this year it would be nice if they offered them in April/May instead of 2/3rds of the way through the season.

Reactions: BGW Family
Aug 1, 2010
Seven Pines, Virginia
I know why they only offered the ornament and lanyard on specific days. It's marketing to balance the crowd from busy to less busy days. They choose slower days (Friday/Sunday), rather than having more people show up on a Saturday.

Reactions: warfelg

Merboy

Silver Donor
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
As @VonDerrick mentioned, breastfeeding in public is 100% legal and rightfully so. I don't want to get on any soapbox here but I adamantly support a woman's right to take care of her baby in one of the most natural ways possible no matter where she is. Whether or not it's PC is beside the point and I wouldn't want to have a special place that set women aside for this reason.

That said, I do think the private lounge is an interesting idea. I've never been to one outside of an airport so I'm curious to know how many members are in the park at one time on a given day in each month already. As well, in other parks what is the experience like? In what ways do they deal with any challenges that have come up? I'm not very much in favor of separate lounges based on tiers as that tends to happen in society anyway and I tend to lean away from that thinking.

mame1.png

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2009
I'm not very much in favor of separate lounges based on tiers as that tends to happen in society anyway.
But isnt a members lounge basically the same thing, its seperating say funcard holders from members? They both gain you access to the park but one pays more for more access, same thing between say basic membership and premier membership.....pay more get more.

Mar 16, 2016
Eh I too am against that idea. It's one thing to say a membership gets you access to a lounge. But then to tie the type, quality, and possible location based on what membership I get?

Reactions: Lolers

Merboy

Silver Donor
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
But isnt a members lounge basically the same thing, its seperating say funcard holders from members? They both gain you access to the park but one pays more for more access, same thing between say basic membership and premier membership.....pay more get more.
I'm not saying you're not right, I just think the memberships are more for money whereas physically grouping live people feels very wrong to me. Just a personal preference.

Reactions: Lolers and Joe
Nov 24, 2009
Not olny that but each person entering needs that level membership. No one person with Platinum getting in 6 others that are basic members or non members at all. They have to do something to keep the lounce manageable or they will look like the Festhaus during HOS. Now I can see each member getting X number of guest passes per season, but even those would need black out days for like July 4th, Saturdays during HOS and days that they would expect very large crowds.

lce

Brought to you by Coca-Cola
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
I'm not saying you're not right, I just think the memberships are more for money whereas physically grouping live people feels very wrong to me. Just a personal preference.
Are you referring to the existence of a members only lounge? Or something different that I missed?

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Not olny that but each person entering needs that level membership. No one person with Platinum getting in 6 others that are basic members or non members at all. They have to do something to keep the lounce manageable or they will look like the Festhaus during HOS. Now I can see each member getting X number of guest passes per season, but even those would need black out days for like July 4th, Saturdays during HOS and days that they would expect very large crowds.
If I remember correctly in the brief period that we had one the rule which I believe was enforced was each pass member could bring one guest in with them.

This seems both fair and reasonable. Remember allowing them to bring someone in also acts as more or less free advertising for the program. If they see what they get someone who is on the fence might decide to buy their own membership.

Nov 24, 2009
I can understand that but when the program is started, if ever started it should be done with the notice that the bring a guest option could be reworked over the first season. If it ever gets to the point where non members are getting in and then members can not because its already at capacity then the program needs tweaking. Ive seen it happen.....not at BGW though but where one member brings a guest.....few minutes later excorts in another, then another next thing you know theres a group. If your pass is scanned and somehow tracked in a system it would work but if its just a flash your pass then it may become a problem. Same with the Brauhaus I feel like that should be seating for members only. Theres been many times that place is slammed packed and members have no where to sit.

Apr 16, 2017
I think you all completely overestimate the amount of people visiting a lounge a one time.

its a place to sit, grab a drink or snack, and chill and top off the charge on your phone. it's not a 5 star restaurant where people spend all day at.

Reactions: warfelg
Nov 24, 2009
I think you all completely overestimate the amount of people visiting a lounge a one time.

its a place to sit, grab a drink or snack, and chill and top off the charge on your phone. it's not a 5 star restaurant where people spend all day at.
Thats just it, I actually think some would. Ive seen people who have basically taken up residence at tables in the park. They sit and read a book while their kids run free in the park. I could see some almost using them as a cabana espically in the hot summer and getting there in the morning, grabbing a table and making it thebase of operation for the entire day. It happens now, take a wander to the back corners of the Festhaus. Now im not saying this will be a huge daily problem but it could be a issue at times. Depending on size of the lounge it could become a problem.

Lolers

Wavering faith will not serve you well
Sep 14, 2014
Thats just it, I actually think some would. Ive seen people who have basically taken up residence at tables in the park. They sit and read a book while their kids run free in the park. I could see some almost using them as a cabana espically in the hot summer and getting there in the morning, grabbing a table and making it thebase of operation for the entire day. It happens now, take a wander to the back corners of the Festhaus. Now im not saying this will be a huge daily problem but it could be a issue at times. Depending on size of the lounge it could become a problem.
Theoretically I could see this happening. I have no evidence to support that it would happen in practice, but if I lived closer I could see myself doing this on hot days. It would be a way to both get out of the house and avoid the heat, and since I like hanging out at BGW, the lounge would give me a place to sit and read a book or do work on my computer.

Reactions: jornor

belsaas

I miss Europe in the Air
Silver Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
That's just it, I actually think some would. I've seen people who have basically taken up residence at tables in the park. They sit and read a book while their kids run free in the park. I could see some almost using them as a cabana especially in the hot summer and getting there in the morning, grabbing a table and making it the base of operation for the entire day. It happens now, take a wander to the back corners of the Festhaus. Now I'm not saying this will be a huge daily problem but it could be a issue at times. Depending on size of the lounge it could become a problem.
I'm super guilty of this. Sometimes I just want to be someplace else, and BGW is pretty good at transporting me away. I'll ride some rides, then maybe find a bench back in the old animal reserve or one of the rocking chairs in Canada and just read a book, crowd watch, maybe even sneak in some meditation.

Even when I'm not looking for thrills, BGW can just be a nice place to be. And they have funnel cake.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad