Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
As much as I would love for this to come to KD, I just don’t want it to be there and proclaimed the “Volcano Replacement”. KD deserves something new and original.

I can see CF giving something to Dorney Park as well from this.

Just a reminder that Cedar Fair has a eleven year lease on the land that the park sits on. Technically, they can operate the park thru 2033. I am not implying that CGA will operate until then; but, the park could still exist 6 - 8 - 10 years from now.

Some folks on here are running to the lawyers office for the reading of the will to see who is getting what; meanwhile, the "person" has not even expired yet.

Just a reminder that Cedar Fair has a eleven year lease on the land that the park sits on. Technically, they can operate the park thru 2033. I am not implying that CGA will operate until then; but, the park could still exist 6 - 8 - 10 years from now.

Some folks on here are running to the lawyers office for the reading of the will to see who is getting what; meanwhile, the "person" has not even expired yet.
Actually the have a 6 year lease with an option to extend 5 years. This suggests to me that they are likely planning a 5 year run and a year to vacate the property.

Actually the have a 6 year lease with an option to extend 5 years. This suggests to me that they are likely planning a 5 year run and a year to vacate the property.

Yeah, I'm seeing four more years of operations given the terms of the agreement. No way in hell Cedar Fair ops for the extension. Plus, if the buyer wants Cedar Fair to leave, they only have to give them two years notice.

Reactions: Coasternerd
From the SEC filing,
  • The lease has a 6-year term, CF has the option to extend for 5 additional years
  • Prologis has the right to terminate the lease early by providing at least 2 years' notice
I couldn't find anything regarding the terms of the early lease termination. But assuming Prologis can execute that early termination now, that seems like CGA could be done for by the end of 2024 if Prologis wants, no?

As much as I would love for this to come to KD, I just don’t want it to be there and proclaimed the “Volcano Replacement”. KD deserves something new and original.

I can see CF giving something to Dorney Park as well from this.
Railblazer plus the Jungle X treatment would cure a lot of ill will amongst KD’s customer base. It may not be what the enthusiast crowd wants, but it solves a lot of problems with that empty plot and keeping up with the Jones down the road.

But that does not mean that they wont start strip mining the park this coming off season to get a jump on things. People wont miss one coaster a few flats.

This move by CF makes a ton of sense.... Having land that doubled in value and being able to sell for liquidity with a potential economic crash in the near future is something that could really help the chain. The park has been on limited operations from what I've understood with attendance being lower than normal. I believe I read someone saying that CF has already made more off of this sale than they could ever hope to make on operating the park for the next 10 years. To be honest, I don't know that this was their plan when they bought the land in 2019 but with the state of things after covid and with our current economic struggles I think this is something that just made complete sense -- especially considering the fact that there's even some talk of real estate costs dropping in the near future.

but I don’t understand the notion that this is a Geauga Lake 2.0 situation
The people that are comparing this to Geauga Lake are really irritating me because they clearly have no understanding of whats going on with CGA, what happened with GL, or both. Unless CGA built 6 coasters last year that I don't know about it's nowhere near a GL situation 😉

I couldn't find anything regarding the terms of the early lease termination. But assuming Prologis can execute that early termination now, that seems like CGA could be done for by the end of 2024 if Prologis wants, no?
Yes, from what I've read, this is correct. Probably just depends on how soon Amazon needs a new warehouse in the area.

Railblazer is legit a top 20 coaster in the US. Idk why enthusiasts wouldn’t want that.
While true I think it would be a repeat of one of Volcano's biggest frustrations: The long queue times. The ride just doesn't have the capacity to suit KD, especially if they keep rebounding the way they have and BGW keeps plummeting. I think Railblazer makes a lot more sense to move to Dorney Park or maybe even one of the midwest parks.

Something to Keep an eye on is CoasterCon 2024 is already sedchuled for the park. It might be interesting to see what the park's state is by then.
I honestly think people are being too quick to kill this park. I mean, I don't doubt it's closing but I honestly think that CF is going to continue to operate it as an in-tact park for at least a few years before anything starts to change. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition of something small either.

I'll post my more realistic thoughts later, I just need to get my visceral reaction out now:

(inhale)

Star Wars Reaction GIF

Would Railblazer fit onto the go-kart track at KD? And would getting rid of the pay-per-ride attraction make good business sense? Seems like a good flat piece of treeless land that isn’t sitting in the shadow of Volcano though

Attachments

• F9EE61E1-A308-4408-9CBA-97595F5F9DB6.png
    F9EE61E1-A308-4408-9CBA-97595F5F9DB6.png
    18.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 2B8CC9C5-E03A-4D7E-B47A-6716D8F7E80A.png
    2B8CC9C5-E03A-4D7E-B47A-6716D8F7E80A.png
    18.8 MB · Views: 20
I have Railblazer coming to KD, Gold Striker (hopefully - questionable due to wood coaster) to Dorney, Flight Deck (even more hopeful - unlikely due to age) to Valleyfair!, Patriot (again, unlikely to be moved due to age) to Worlds of Fun (and if not moved, maybe sent to to Carowinds for the floorless conversion of their own Vortex), and Psycho Mouse also to Worlds of Fun.

Reactions: Ziva and Zachary
@tiaba - I would rather they take the water park and put it completely behind Racer. That would free up some flat land for railblazer. While they are at it, move slingshot and the go karts to the other side of racer as well and make it part of the water park. The go karts don't belong in old Virginia and I'd like to see them clean that area up some. The ideal place for a railblazer type ride would have been where shockwave used to be (now delirium).

@tiaba - I would rather they take the water park and put it completely behind Racer. That would free up some flat land for railblazer. While they are at it, move slingshot and the go karts to the other side of racer as well and make it part of the water park. The go karts don't belong in old Virginia and I'd like to see them clean that area up some. The ideal place for a railblazer type ride would have been where shockwave used to be (now delirium).
Maaaannn I completely agree with you on moving that bit of water park to the other side of racer. First time I went to soak city, we found it pretty funny that there’s like 90% more water park almost hidden away. Putting the slingshot and go-karts (especially the noisy go-karts) out of the main view of the park would help un-cheapen the atmosphere a bit, particularly old Virginia like you said. Anyways I think Railblazer’s scenic off-roading theme could be pretty transferable to almost all themed areas of KD.

Attachments

• B2EFABB6-C368-4B2B-9DDA-5B39C859F8CB.jpeg
    B2EFABB6-C368-4B2B-9DDA-5B39C859F8CB.jpeg
    659.4 KB · Views: 32
This comment gave me a concussion.
Sorry - in the situation that each coaster is being fully moved, I see Patriot's most likely destination being Worlds of Fun; in the situation that Patriot isn't being moved nor sold to a park outside of Cedar Fair, I think it will have been a waste of a floorless conversion (trains, ride platform vanishing floors, control panel) if those upgrades aren't shipped elsewhere within the chain (Vortex being the only remaining stand-up that hasn't received the floorless conversion).

However, ideally the entire middle section of Carowinds would be redeveloped and my personal preference would be for it to be sold to a park outside of Cedar Fair.

Sorry - in the situation that each coaster is being fully moved, I see Patriot's most likely destination being Worlds of Fun; in the situation that Patriot isn't being moved nor sold to a park outside of Cedar Fair, I think it will have been a waste of a floorless conversion (trains, ride platform vanishing floors, control panel) if those upgrades aren't shipped elsewhere within the chain (Vortex being the only remaining stand-up that hasn't received the floorless conversion).

However, ideally the entire middle section of Carowinds would be redeveloped and my personal preference would be for it to be sold to a park outside of Cedar Fair.
Rougarou is a worse version of Mantis and Firebird is a WAY worse version of Apocalypse..... Following that, if Vortex is already the headbanger of a stand-up then it would almost certainly assure bad things, IMHO.

Reactions: Crunchewy and EdK
The floorless conversions have also been recognized by parks as something that doesn't guarantee an increase in ridership and doesn't really improve guest's perception of the ride. Combine that with added maintenance in moving parts from the floors being added, and still operating a ride with a limited service life because it's still running on the original track, and parks see it's better to just wait out the rest of the ride's lifespan and replace it with something different.

Rougarou is a worse version of Mantis and Firebird is a WAY worse version of Apocalypse..... Following that, if Vortex is already the headbanger of a stand-up then it would almost certainly assure bad things, IMHO.
Ayyyy then let it die.

I loved Mantis but haven't ridden Rougaru. I haven't visited SF America or SF Great America at all so no comment on Firebird or Apocalypse from me.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad