Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Insane story. The park is set to close within the next 11 years (odd timeline). I’m really surprised that this wasn’t Michigan’s Adventure.

Insane story. The park is set to close within the next 11 years (odd timeline). I’m really surprised that this wasn’t Michigan’s Adventure.

Based on initial reports, it looks like this decision was 100% because of how valuable CGA’s land is. The sale is worth $310 million — which is nearly twice the net income for all of Cedar Fair in 2019 (the last pre-COVID year). I’m sure CF’s number crunchers did the math and determined that taking the money and investing it elsewhere will provide more value for the company in the long run than whatever profits CGA’s operations provide.

I don’t think this situation applies to any other CF parks because people have been talking for years about the possibility of them selling CGA given how insanely valuable its land is.

Makes sense given the location. Looks like Great America in Gurnee will be the lone surviving Marriott park.

I’m sure CF’s number crunchers did the math and determined that taking the money and investing it elsewhere will provide more value for the company in the long run than whatever profits CGA’s operations provide.

Not to mention that a number of the assets can be reinvested elsewhere as well. Many of those represent a lot of potential value for the company as well.

California's Great America was always a troubled park due to its sharing of a parking lot with a massive sports stadium and the fact that it is in the middle of what is basically an office park resulting in severe restrictions put in place on the park's development. Pair that with a surprising amount of regional competition and the astronomical property valuation, and this seems really sane to me.

The real question is whether or not Cedar Fair is pondering a new, replacement park in NorCal now, right?

I honestly thought this was a hoax when it first popped up but holy crap.
Seems like NIMBY culture in the Bay Area or some historical designation could derail any kind of shift from being an amusement park.

That being said, the single rail being relocated to KD would be nice.
I feel like this could happen. Depends how much people in the area want to protect it. The only other thing I can thing of is the city zoning it to only work for the park.

Railblazer (RMC single rail) is the obvious ride with relocation potential, but what else would really make sense to ship across the country? The B&Ms are both 25+ years old, it’s a pain to relocate a wooden coaster, and Vortex is definitely done for. That leaves, what, a wild mouse and some flats? I have no doubt that this was the sensible financial decision for the company, but I don’t understand the notion that this is a Geauga Lake 2.0 situation

Definitely not a very specific park I very selfishly would like RailBlazer to go but I mean….. yeah. Otherwise I want to get out there before CGA goes away really sad to see a park go. At the end of the day I don’t want a relocated ride if it’s costing people some awesome memories for future generations.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad