Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 17, 2013
I know that recordings haven't been allowed in certain shows and rides, but what about the rest of the park? You know, just walking around and looking at the scenery? I'm not aware of much of a vlog community at Busch Gardens, so I was wondering if they crack down on videotaping in the park. Just something I've been curious about, especially after going to Disney and seeing the amount of videotaping going on by guests.

That's nothing. I know GoPros need to be inspected and shows used to crack down on recording, but just general recording around that park is fine.

Reactions: Imaginique
All shows have a "no recordings of any sort" policy now. For filming on a ride, you have to get either a GoPro chest harness or a GoPro arm band approved by a park ops supervisor. They will give you a card at guest services that you show to ride operators before boarding.

Regular in-park recording is still permitted. However, sometimes people have been fussed at by employees. This happens either because the employee didn't know any better, or because the guest was recording something that they "don't want people to see".

For example: It is frowned upon to film rides that are broken down, open-view "restricted" areas, and any videos of that sort. Any employee may ask you to delete the video or photos. Whether or not they are technically allowed to do that, I don't know.

Imaginique said:
That makes sense; restricted areas are called that for a reason. Thanks!
At times it can be a little more ambitious than that on what is restricted. For example in the past when Mach Tower has gone down pointing a camera toward it has been considered being in a restricted area by security. In general in the past filming anything that would put the park in a bad light was frowned appon. But that said I often wonder how much of that was over zealous lower level employees and how much was park/corporate policy. And we really have no idea how the new management will handle things.

I really wonder how the whole "no recordings of any sort" policy started with shows. I have heard all sorts of rumors including copyright, which was mainly because of London Rocks. Then, supposedly it just carried to other shows to hide the fact.

Good question. I could see copyright issues, or maybe even contractual issues with actors? I will say I do like that I can watch Disney shows on YouTube when planning my vacations (especially with a nervous child...YouTube has helped me calm her fears about certain shows and rides at theme parks). But I can respect if Busch has a policy about filming.

CastleOSullivan said:
All shows have a "no recordings of any sort" policy now.

Any employee may ask you to delete the video or photos. Whether or not they are technically allowed to do that, I don't know.

Well, they can ask, but you are not legally required to comply. No one, not even the police, can compel you to delete photos or video. Once taken, they are your property and cannot be seized except by court order. Attempting to compel you to do so (threatening not to let you leave until you do, for example) can be a prosecutable crime (kidnapping).

CastleOSullivan said:
I really wonder how the whole "no recordings of any sort" policy started with shows. I have heard all sorts of rumors including copyright, which was mainly because of London Rocks.

The official answer is "copyright issues". There are unofficial reasons as well.

Imaginique said:
I could see copyright issues, or maybe even contractual issues with actors?

Actors I've communicated with hate this policy. Most are just starting out in their careers, and desperately need quality video for their performance reels. Before it was prohibited, I was happy to provide footage to any who asked. Now I turn down a lot of requests because of the recording ban.

Gavin said:
Y'all do realize that the park technically owns any photos or videos that you shoot on site.

This is simply not true. Copyrights and ownership of photographs and video is a complex and evolving field of law. One principle that is firmly established is that the person (not animal) triggering the camera owns the photos or video. What can be done with those images or footage, however, depends on a huge range of issues. Even if the park specifically prohibits recording, and you surreptitiously violate their request, you are still the owner of resulting digital files. By violating their request, you become a trespasser, and the park may remove you from the premises and have you charged with that crime. But, they do not gain ownership of your photos and footage.

Personally, the recording bans have affected my enjoyment of the park in a very negative way. I derived great enjoyment from recording shows, and took pains to do in a manner that was respectful to the park, the performers, and other audience members. But, I have observed many other people who did not do so. Those behaviors ranged from setting up in the front row with a tripod supporting a camera with a bright screen (just as bad as a cell phone user in a movie theater) to posting youtube videos of park shows openly mocking the shows, performers, or both. That is not behavior that the park is required to tolerate, and I blame that sort of behavior for the bans, more so than any copyright issues. Any copyright issues would have existed for years, yet were conveniently overlooked. In my opinion, the park stopped looking the other way when "guest" behavior became too rude to ignore.

As it stands, all the shows have recording bans. Not wanting to risk my pass, I respect those announcements. Not everyone does. But, if you record when you have been asked not to, you risk a range of park actions. The mildest is having an usher come ask you to stop.

Occasionally, there are "technical difficulties" and the no recording announcement fails to play before a show. If you just so happen to be present with a video camera at such an occasion, you might be able to record without being harassed by the ushers. Maybe. If you aren't rude about it.

Gopro info

I recently bought a Gopro and Ivam looking for info on what mounts the park allows and the process of getting approval to use it in the park.

RE: Gopro info

My understanding is that you take the rig to guest services, they'll approve it and give you something to show that you have permission.

Psyduck said:
Either a chest harness or an arm band, and it must be approved by a guest services supervisor.

http://parkfans.net/thread-4445-post-144080.html#pid144080

Threads Merged
Are the more or less standard wrist and chest ones generally acceptable to the park or is there a certain type that I should look for? My main reason for posting was I was having a hard time determining what met the standards on the website and I don't want to spend money buying something that the park will say doesn't meet their standards for safe use.

Also when you say guests service I am assuming the area right to the right as you pass through the gates? I know that seems like a stupid question but I had confusion even from park employees on that before.

Sovquick question does anyone know if the approval process so on ride video is the same for Christmas Town as the rest of the year. I finally got a gopro for Christmas and want to try it out but can't find any info on the Christmas Town website about rules.

Reactions: jornor
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad