Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
BenWilkerson said:
Colonial Coasters stated that he has done research and found that pass memberships or legacy passes will be invalid after january 2019. does anyone know the validity?

It was in the article Nicole posted.

Reactions: jornor
Here's the link from the email I just received. I haven't looked it over yet, but it's now live:
https://buschgardens.com/williamsburg/annual-pass/upgrade-membership/

Edit:
I'm currently paying $12 a month for a single park annual pass. For another $3/month (at introductory rates) I add Christmas Town ($35 in 2017?), Water Country, and some passes for friends. WC isn't a draw for me, but for a dollar maybe I'd spend a few hours in the morning there one day. Passes for friends may convince some family friends to visit with us (but add the hotel expense for them since we're five hours away). $36 a year more, it's really a wash for me - no pun intended.

My wife is paying $10/month for a two park pass, so that's another $60/year for her to make the change to 'membership' status, which really just adds CT for her. Definitely hold onto her existing pass for as long as possible at that $10/mth rate.

I can see where some like me will say 'why not', and others will be dissatisfied with this change.

To Zachary's points though (and others), consumers really can't expect to pay 1998, 2008, whatever year prices forever. Salaries and wages increase, infrastructure enhancements and regular maintenance costs money, and if a park doesn't put in a new [major] attraction every few years many cry it's stagnant and there's no reason to visit every year (much less four or five times a year as we do, driving from PA).
Removing the bulk of the zoological operations surely saved a lot of money from OpEx. But anyone's that assembled a department budget before knows that you have to keep saving money to make the upper echelon happy; so that cut isn't reviewed each year "as a good thing" (no, it was a bad thing, I concur). Point being if you aren't cutting expenses you have to increase revenue. EBIDTA has to go up each year, profit has to go up each year. It's a business.
Doing it gradually and with some perceived value-add cushions the blow. I think this membership approach is the best compromise available. Keep what you have, that's fine. Buy up to the new plan for some increased options.

OK, I'm going to go read the fine print now. :sick:

BenWilkerson said:
Colonial Coasters stated that he has done research and found that pass memberships or legacy passes will be invalid after january 2019. does anyone know the validity?
BGW Family said:
acrossdapark said:
...it will become inevitable that the park like other companies that offer legacy products will get to a point of "switch or we drop you" mentality.

....those locked-in on the five year rate guarantee.
acrossdapark said:
Unless they start stripping benefits from the old passes, or, as you say, force the switch.

From the new FAQ section:

How long can I keep my current pass?

1-Park, 2-Park and Platinum Passes will be valid through January 1, 2019. An announcement will be made later when those passes will officially expire. These passes are no longer available for new sales.

Reactions: Flyer and jornor
BuschBaby said:
jornor said:
Alright so let me get this straight:

If I switch over to the new Membership Program, at say $20 a month, right now. This price isn't locked in and they could raise it to $27 a month by next February/March if they wanted to?

Isn't that the norm for...any other park or service? I know we are used to it from BGW but KD doesnt lock in your price, or disney or size flags. Or even Amazon/netflix/etc.

Nicole said:
If you can find a way to prevent inflation, and if you are happy with never seeing any major capital investment again, I’m sure they would be happy to lock in your rate for eternity.

It was a yes or no question. I'm not trying to prevent inflation, and I'm not asking for norms for other services.

I asked if this new membership included a "grandfather" policy or not like BG has done in the past, that was it.

BenWilkerson said:

That sounds like overly-dramatic hearsay to me.

As BGW Family noted above, the FAQ says this:

You can choose to upgrade to a new Membership plan now or wait and join once your Annual Pass expires. If you are on EZpay, and you have completed your initial 12-month commitment, you can choose to keep your Pass active through Jan. 1, 2019 or upgrade to a new Membership plan. EZpay Annual Passes are no longer available for new sales.

It does not say that you will be forced to switch in 2019.

Based on our conversation with Marketing, we do not believe BGW has decided when or if to make everyone move over to the Membership Program.

Reactions: Flyer
whanna said:
Here's the link from the email I just received. I haven't looked it over yet, but it's now live:
https://buschgardens.com/williamsburg/annual-pass/upgrade-membership/
It’s been live since 10:00 AM EST.

jornor said:
BuschBaby said:
jornor said:

If I switch over to the new Membership Program, at say $20 a month, right now. This price isn't locked in and they could raise it to $27 a month by next February/March if they wanted to?

Isn't that the norm for...any other park or service? I know we are used to it from BGW but KD doesnt lock in your price, or disney or size flags. Or even Amazon/netflix/etc.

Nicole said:
If you can find a way to prevent inflation, and if you are happy with never seeing any major capital investment again, I’m sure they would be happy to lock in your rate for eternity.

It was a yes or no question. I'm not trying to prevent inflation, and I'm not asking for norms for other services.

I asked if this new membership included a "grandfather" policy or not like BG has done in the past, that was it.

Sorry. I misunderstood. You post sounded more accusatory than that.

To answer your question, there is no price lock beyond the first 12 months. That said, as we mentioned in our article, they told us that they would only raise prices as necessary, and don’t have any specific plan to do so yet.

Reactions: Flyer and jornor
Nicole said:
jornor said:
BuschBaby said:
jornor said:

Nicole said:

Sorry.  I misunderstood.  You post sounded more accusatory than that.

To answer your question, there is no price lock beyond the first 12 months.  That said, as we mentioned in our article, they told us that they would only raise prices as necessary, and don’t have any specific plan to do so yet.

All good! Thanks so much. I was just trying to find the policy info that was all! I can see how my post came off as mad or something but that's the internet for you.

Reactions: Nicole
acrossdapark said:
Nicole said:
If anyone is interested, here is the calendar of blockout dates.  It is worth noting that most Saturdays during the Summer are blacked out.

Breaking this down. BG regular season has 39 blackout days during the 163 day operating season or 24% blacked out. CT has 19 days out of 34 blacked out or 55%. Total for the season is 58 black out days out of a 197 day operating season or just under 30% blacked out.

WC has 25 out of 108 operating days blacked out or 24%.

Seems like high percentages when a 1/3rd of the seasons are blacked out and looking at other parks who do the same but usually around Christmas/New Years and spring break along with a couple dates here or there.

It seems to me that the park REALLY wants people to buy an Unlimited or Premier Pass.  The Basic Pass gives an option for those for whom price is the absolute deal-breaker AND who have the flexibility to still be able to use it often enough to make it worth their while.  And it allows the park to advertise "Passes starting at only $12/month!" even though for most, that price won't get them the pass they want.

Nicole said:
I could make a reasonable case for the Basic tier.  

I don’t really want to go near the park on most of those blocked out days.  They could be a good solution for a family that buys one top tier membership and saves money getting the basic level for everyone else.

You're absolutely correct Nicole. Traveling as a family, you only use your free parking once / car. If I can save $60/year by doing three basic and one middle package, I'm onboard. That's a bunch of pretzels!

MadridBot said:
BenWilkerson said:

This seems a bit contradictory. They're saying they have no plans to raise the EZ pay rates for existing pass members, but simply by putting this date out there makes it sound like there is somewhat of a plan.

They should move that date up to the end of Howl O Scream 2018. Since current passes don't include Christmastown, it would be a bad move for us to make the November, December, and January payments before being told that our passes will no longer be valid or that there will be a price increase that makes us want to move to memberships. In any case, I'm sure there will be some sort of promotion if and when a switch to membership is required.

I think I've decided that I'm going to move to the membership program. Trying to decide between doing it over the phone vs doing it in person at the park the first weekend in March. I'm about 2 hrs away, could make a fun day trip out of it and do other stuff in the area. Anyone care to weigh in? Does it matter if I have my Premier pass already in hand for passmember preview day? That would be the biggest reason to do it in person, I think.

Reactions: jornor and Nicole
DJTLG said:
MadridBot said:
BenWilkerson said:

This seems a bit contradictory. They're saying they have no plans to raise the EZ pay rates for existing pass members, but simply by putting this date out there makes it sound like there is somewhat of a plan.

They should move that date up to the end of Howl O Scream 2018. Since current passes don't include Christmastown, it would be a bad move for us to make the November, December, and January payments before being told that our passes will no longer be valid or that there will be a price increase that makes us want to move to memberships. In any case, I'm sure there will be some sort of promotion if and when a switch to membership is required.

As I mentioned above, BGW has taken down the reference to a January 2019 end date for current passes. We were told yesterday that no determination has been made about if or when the old passes will expire, for EZPay accounts.

Reactions: Merboy and jornor
lilleape said:
I think I've decided that I'm going to move to the membership program. Trying to decide between doing it over the phone vs doing it in person at the park the first weekend in March. I'm about 2 hrs away, could make a fun day trip out of it and do other stuff in the area. Anyone care to weigh in? Does it matter if I have my Premier pass already in hand for passmember preview day? That would be the biggest reason to do it in person, I think.

Assuming nothing has changed, you should be able to get your membership card at a kiosk, if you buy it on-line in advance. Your receipt from you purchase should get you into the parking lot, as well.

That said, we plan to drive down from Arlington the first weekend. As you said, there are other things to do (like Colonial Williamsburg and Merchants Square).

If the park wants to increase sales for the higher tier passes, they should implement monthly perks like the Florida parks. It would definitely be a good incentive to bring people back to the parks on a regular basis.

Williamsburg has a higher percentage of pass members than the other parks. Maybe they are trying to manage the crowd levels.

Additionally, this is a completely new structure. Many other parks do have blackout dates. Perhaps the rest of the chain will move to the BGW Membership Program if it is successsful. In other words, maybe we are the testbed.

Outside of peak HOS/CT, some concert weekends and August crunch, I've never really seen the park crowded to the point where they need to add blackout dates. If anything the park wants more of those crowded days so they can turn a profit. Most parks that do have blackouts are usually year round destination parks like Disney and Universal.

Maybe this means the park is looking to opening the park for year round operations?

Also maybe its just me but if they really wanna keep the blackout dates, they might as well revert back to the fun card system for their lowest tier pass and let those who buy in choose what time of year they want to visit.

Reactions: jornor and Eric
When I worked at the park I always found Labor Day weekend to be a lot worse than July 4th weekend. Hell I remember visiting the park one July 4th and it was walk ons for all the rides up until around 4-5pm.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad