Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
The comparisons to Britmania are fine here. There was a discreet discussion, however, which seems to be exclusively assessments of CF. Thoughts about a single show need to be in that shows thread.

Please understand: the purpose is not to stymie conversation, but rather to make your observations and opinions findable in the future.

Saw "Britmania" yesterday and things seem to be going pretty smooth, some new cast members I've noticed and they're doing a really good job.

Reactions: Flyer and jornor
Posting this here as to not further derail the All for One thread...

VonDerrick said:
CastleOSullivan said:
Britmania is on the park's website for the Summer season only.
Here.

i know that, but i know other things too

I've not been able to corroborate it with actual data yet, so take this with a spoonful of salt:

I have heard the same whispers as VonDerrick. I wouldn't bet on Britmania's return just yet...

It's interesting that you say that because every-time I see the show, I keep seeing big smiles on the people's faces when they leave. So I guess it's different experiences for different people I suppose; but it would stink that the park might get rid of such a wonderful, solid summer show because of a few underwhelming reactions.

The show definitely has its moments. In fact, I would see the show for those moments alone and pass on everything else if I could. Unfortunately, I have seen smiles during those segments, and mostly boredom and possibly confusion during the rest.

I still wonder what a Matt Davenport Production is doing in one of BGW's premier theaters. MDP is used to making cookie-cutter shows for the most low-end parks that can't afford an in-house production team, much less anything high-end. The Globe Theater is too elaborate for what they are used to, and it shows, in my opinion.

Edit: I like Hersheypark, (notorious for contracting MDP) but I don't want to see their productions on a high-end stage at BGW. That's exactly what Britmania looks like. Seriously. Look up any of Hershey's shows on YouTube. It's uncanny, especially the part with the TV at the start. HP did almost the exact same thing, but with a jukebox.

There is no originality in Britmania, except for one concept that never made it into London Rocks- the drop curtains. The best part of the show, hands down.

True, it does scream Hersheypark show but if our original works are going to keep being garbage (London Rocks) than I would rather have a solid formula that already works (Britmania). But with that said, I would love for the in-park staff create a new version of Ghosts of the Globe if they have the money for it (shorter and using projection sets that have entirely removed the London Rocks flowers and peace symbols).

Ghosts of the Globe would definitely need to be shorter if it returned. The 30-minute limit is pretty tight now. I spoke with David Cromwell one day about GotG, and when I told him about the duration he said something like "No. Never again. Haha." He was quite straight-forward, which I thought was funny.

Reactions: Peej1212 and Flyer
Because one you make a decision, no matter how bad, it is always best to stick to that decision no matter what!!!

Look have successful London Rocks was!!!

Entertainment made the 30-minute limit because of attention spans which are further impacted by thoughts of other things to do in the park. People feel like they are missing out on more if they are sitting in one place while the clock keeps ticking.

The park used to have show durations listed on the back of the park maps, but a lot of people will avoid a show if they hear that it is over 30 minutes. 30 minutes is usually enough for people to stomach unless they really don't like shows to begin with.

I would love to have some longer shows, personally, as it allows the writers more time to develop a cohesive story. (All For One might have benefitted from that.) Unfortunately, I think I am outnumbered by people who don't want to sit still for too long.

The issue for me is that Dollywood shows much longer productions all the time with full theaters and cheering crowds. If a show is worthwhile, people will be happy to see the full production.

If the park's guests don't want to see another 15 minutes of whatever it is they are watching, it is far more a commentary on the quality of the production than the attention span of the audience.

Maybe, but Secrets of Castle O'Sullivan was advertised as being around 40 minutes. That show constantly struggled with attendance if I recall correctly. The real problem, however, was more that people didn't know what to expect. The duration may have factored in since it was *advertised* as the longest show in the park, but I don't think that was the only reason. I just don't think that show helped, as the unspoken 30 minute rule was slowly introduced after that show was retired and Scott Gasparich took control.

Dollywood is known for quality entertainment, and I'm sure people who go there just accept longer durations as the norm. Meanwhile at BGW, Guest Relations got a lot of complaints one year for having a one hour concert in the Abbey Stone Theatre on Preview Day without saying that it would be an hour.

By the time the show was at 45 minutes, about half of the audience left. Even I was thinking about leaving since I no longer had any idea much longer the show would be. I could have been out there doing so many other things, but I realized that the show was robbing me of that time. That's why guests get so anxious with longer shows. I don't know if posting the duration would help or not, but it would certainly deter some people.

I have literally seen people walk away from Britmania after hearing that the show was half an hour. Sad, I know.

I wonder if some people think of the shows as a "Break"? Like with my sister long periods of physical activity can cause seizures for her so my parents will take her into a show or something every 2 hours or so to let her rest herself then resume. I mean idk for sure but maybe some people may use the shows for that reason so any more than 1/2 an hour seems ridiculous to them.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad