Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
So first rides are still up in the air but possibly before March 3rd March 3rd be in the grand opening season pass only with March 4th being for everybody. None of that is set in stone.

Still no updates. March 3rd is two weeks away.

Recent (Feb 10) article still calling for media day March 2, and open March 3.

I just would expect more hype from the park if that was the case. And I'm not seeing anything.

They did change the park hours and will be open noon til 8 next week, Feb 18-26 (winter break?). The calendar now says Friday's 4-10, and weekends 10-10 starting March 3.

Extra days for March 17-20 (not sure why) and the all of the first week of April (spring break?).

2/18/23: as I entered the park I asked management about AF1 as they have NOT been testing. Well, more county interference. Now looking at late March to open with possible soft open mid March for season pass holders. But the drive to the parking lot has been replaced. 🙄

Last edited:
County interference or management not necessarily following the proper procedures/adhering to local ordinances?

Based on the things that got them to this point, it's hard to believe the county would be doing more than enforcing that the park do whatever is required to get their ride open to the public. Certifications, inspections, etc aren't what I'd consider interference.

Last edited:
2/18/23: as I entered the park I asked management about AF1 as they have NOT been testing. Well, more county interference. Now looking at late March to open with possible soft open mid March for season pass holders. But the drive to the parking lot has been replaced. 🙄
Further conversation an hour later. County shows up for inspections when they feel like it. They delay. The moan about the concrete and the stairs and other nitpicky stuff. Its tiresome.

So, enforcing building codes is "tiresome?"
No. Constant delays and making themselves feel important is tiresome. I'm sitting here now Let me take a picture. "You don't have enough handicap parking, yes they do,but county says no. Where do you want them? Anywhere. So there are now 9 brand new never to be used handiparkies in the middle of the park. County: Acceptable. 🙄 In the real world, nonsense. County prefers cars driving around with children running around acceptable. There's making sure its done right, and there's nitpicking. These clowns are the lattter.

Attachments

• 20230219_143434.jpg
    20230219_143434.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: ST Dog
What is the basis for your assertions that:
- What they had was already acceptable;
- That they will never be used; and
- That following county guidelines is "nonsense?"

I fail to see how any of this is "nitpicking."

Regardless, it is the responsibility of the park and it's contractors to know and follow local codes and regulations. If they fail to do so, delays seem to be their fault, not the fault of some poor county inspector.

Honestly the more and more this I see and hear the lower my opinion of FSAA becomes. I know people who work for Fayette County (went to college with one) and if this is happening it has little to do with the county trying to flex their power.

If I understand correctly, disability parking regulations generally follow ADA guidelines. Does anyone know what those are and how they apply here?

Reactions: Nicole
If I understand correctly, disability parking regulations generally follow ADA guidelines. Does anyone know what those are and how they apply here?
I can’t remember exactly what the numbers are but a certain percent of parking spots need to be ADA capable with another certain amount being loading van capable.

I can’t remember exactly what the numbers are but a certain percent of parking spots need to be ADA capable with another certain amount being loading van capable.

Right, but don't part of the regulations around what designates an accessibility parking spot also dictate their placement relative to the entrance/exit of a given property? Such as accessible spots need to be within a certain distance of a building's entrance or further accommodations are required to be provided (such as a shuttle service)?

Right, but don't part of the regulations around what designates an accessibility parking spot also dictate their placement relative to the entrance/exit of a given property? Such as accessible spots need to be within a certain distance of a building's entrance or further accommodations are required to be provided (such as a shuttle service)?
Yea. There’s a lot of regulations on distances, spacing, ramp access, the surfaces you are on, things like that. Spaces and access is highly regulated, and it may not be shocking if they are also fined over lack of access.

Reactions: Nicole and Jonesta6
What is the basis for your assertions that:
- What they had was already acceptable;
- That they will never be used; and
- That following county guidelines is "nonsense?"

I fail to see how any of this is "nitpicking."

Regardless, it is the responsibility of the park and it's contractors to know and follow local codes and regulations. If they fail to do so, delays seem to be their fault, not the fault of some poor county inspector.
You don't live around here, do you. Handicap parking apparently has been adequate for over 25 years. Now it's not. If you recall this project is well over a year behind schedule because the county has been screwing with them since day one. "That they will never be used". They're in the middle of the Midway with a road map needed to get to them. Is it your position that its acceptable to have a motorist driving through a crowded Midway with oblivious children running around? After the car is parked, it is a down hill walk to get the wristband, and uphill back, unless they rent a ride around. Then the uphill is negated. Lastly, never said county guidelines were nonsense. I indicated the county's actions are nonsense

Yea. There’s a lot of regulations on distances, spacing, ramp access, the surfaces you are on, things like that. Spaces and access is highly regulated, and it may not be shocking if they are also fined over lack of access.
So, handicap parking spaces were considered adequate for over 25 years, but now, not so much. But parking in the middle of the Midway with kids running around is acceptable? That's messed up, especially when considering the maze a driver has to go through to get there. Additionally, trained, expert, licensed professionals are screwing up their installations, is that what you're indicating?

Honestly the more and more this I see and hear the lower my opinion of FSAA becomes. I know people who work for Fayette County (went to college with one) and if this is happening it has little to do with the county trying to flex their power.

Last edited:
So, handicap parking spaces were considered adequate for over 25 years, but now, not so much. But parking in the middle of the Midway with kids running around is acceptable? That's messed up, especially when considering the maze a driver has to go through to get there. Additionally, trained, expert, licensed professionals are screwing up their installations, is that what you're indicating?
They own more land, greater area, requires more HDCP spaces.

And yes. Just because there’s professionals doesn’t stuff doesn’t mean things are perfect. We have inspections for a reason.

FSA has messed up each step of the way. Don’t blame a system in place for the failure of others to abide by it.

County has hated this project since day one. Commissioner meetings have shown that. FSA has been operating for over 20 years. It's not like they are a bunch of upstart rookies. The coaster is not the only thing they harass them on. You may know one, nice person, no doubt.

Re-read that. Sounds sarcastic. Not intended.

Reactions: ST Dog
@JudgeKnot: The ongoing changes at Fun Spot Atlanta necessitate that they follow current zoning regulations. Fun Spot requested their rezoning, got their rezoning, and are now having to comply with the regulations associated with the zoning they requested.

I'm sorry, but this has development ineptitude written all over it. I'm not surprised that a park like Fun Spot Atlanta lacks the institutional knowledge and experience required to navigate a large construction project, but they probably should have developed those capabilities before undertaking a large construction project. There's a reason large parks have entire onsite teams dedicated to design and engineering. There are a lot of rules and regulations that have to be followed.

No one is picking on Fun Spot. They're just clearly not equipped to tackle the requirements of a project like this.

They own more land, greater area, requires more HDCP spaces.

And yes. Just because there’s professionals doesn’t stuff doesn’t mean things are perfect. We have inspections for a reason.

FSA has messed up each step of the way. Don’t blame a system in place for the failure of others to abide by it.
Same amount of land. Professionals messing up now and again, yes. Constantly? No.

Anyway, having run the previous discussion into the ground, the fact remains as of now, late March opening with the possibility of season pass holders getting a sneak peak (ride) prior to the grand opening. Testing stopped in January. Was supposed to resume in February, which thus far it hasn't. I have no clue how much testing needs to be done before it can open. I was told its about a hundred runs per train. No idea how long that takes.

Reactions: Zachary and ST Dog
No. Constant delays and making themselves feel important is tiresome. I'm sitting here now Let me take a picture. "You don't have enough handicap parking, yes they do,but county says no.
I bet back when they forced the parking lot changes the spaces were marked and fine. Now they aren't.

Inspections are highly subjective too.

Seen it before. One inspection it's fine. Later at the next inspection it's not.

Or even more fun, do this little thing and you're good. Takes 2 days, wait 2 weeks for reinspection (work stopped). Now 2 other things to fix that were fine before.

• Eye-Roll
Why did they build the handicap spaces in an area that they, according you guys, would not be used because impractical and also potentially dangerous, and why did they expect that that would be acceptable?

I'm just an outsider looking in, but this sounds like incompetence to me.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad