Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
yes, but Alpengeist goes all over half the park
cad542c2.jpg

While Montu is crammed into the corner of Egypt
bga_mon.jpg

I am not saying that Montu is bad, it's just how I love Alpengeist's layout covers so much ground

I think Montu gives a better illusion of having sprawled than Alpengeist. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's because you can see Montu sprawl out into the distance, due to BGT being an uninteresting park landscape wise, where as Alpengeist appears more clustered because of its interaction with paths and other rides. And when it does go off into the distance, it's completely out of sight from onlookers. Or seems so, mostly. Alpengeist is a lot more fragmented than Montu, also. Montu seems to pace well, Alpengeist goes all out awesome, then hurts, then farts about and ends on a poor note.

I've never cared much for the pacing argument mind you. Nemesis paces well. In fact, it's probably one of if not the best with pacing, but I don't think it's all that much fun compared to it's larger sisters. [/blasphemous]

The Batman clones come a close second after Montu as my favourite, I think. It's a real shame they are overlooked due to being so common.

Alpengeist is probably my favorite coaster in the park and I'm definitely excited about hitting Montu in a few weeks to compare.

The first half of the ride is pretty disorienting/intense going down that huge drop into that tiny Immelmann. By the time you recuperate, you're in the middle of the loop.

The cobra is a bit jarring though. It looks pretty graceful from the ground, but going through that can beat you if you're not prepared. Even then I like that element for its aggressiveness.

Second half is alright. The zero-G roll into the corkscrew is a lot of fun and I really don't mind the last helix at the end as a nice breather. The ride seems to interact pretty nicely with the terrain in the second half whereas in the first half, you're going through huge inversions high above the terrain (sorta like the ski lift goes up the mountain (lift) and then back down (everything after).

I don't really mind the pacing all that much. I'm too busy enjoying the ride to really care. The theming is pretty sweet around the ride too. Love the little details like the missing persons board in the station and the mountain conditions sign in the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikPBqEplfoU Alpen in 1997, If you watch around 2:40 you will see if fly through the brake run.

^Thanks for posting that video! That's really interesting. Is there any reason to believe that was an abnormal run? And does anybody know why the brake time there changed so much?

Alpengiest was down all day today...train was stuck at the top of the lift hill. Train finally continued around 8:00. No testing after that. Anyone know anything? I will be back at big on monday to see what's going on.

Alpengeist is literally Bi-Polar with its lines. Some days it's totally empty and other days quick queue is the only way you'll get on in under 45 minutes. Reminded me a lot of the latter months of BBW right before it was announced it'd be leaving.

I really love this ride in the front row, so I'm very happy when i find out it's less than a 10-15min wait.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad