Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Lord Robert said:
Here's an interesting thought: The improvements that All For One did in the last few weeks were actual improvements that helped the show get much better than it when it opened, is this a sign that this is going to be the same kind of improvements that will help the show next year? I sure hope that is the case because I really, REALLY like this show to no end.

I unfortunately didn't get to see the show but I'm hoping you're right. London Rocks went steadily downhill in its subsequent seasons but perhaps this show will improve with age instead. I'd hate to finally see it next year and it have turned into something awful. And I'm very glad to hear that the show got better throughout this season; that shows promise!

Look at Gloria 2011 vs 2012. The first year was a concept. The second year forward was a show. I expect the technology from this year to settle in, and put itself to its best possible use next year. For instance; they finally settled on a microphone for the main characters by the second or third to last week. Everything was trial and error, which hopefully led to success.

For those worried about another London Rocks re-do scenario: the park never really got London Rocks to where they wanted it (during any of the seasons). All For One at least met their expectations partially for a new concept. I might expect add-ons, but nothing to the extent of removing the good stuff.

Now if we could only have a soundtrack...

CastleOSullivan said:
Look at Gloria 2011 vs 2012. The first year was a concept. The second year forward was a show. I expect the technology from this year to settle in, and put itself to its best possible use next year. For instance; they finally settled on a microphone for the main characters by the second or third to last week. Everything was trial and error, which hopefully led to success.

For those worried about another London Rocks re-do scenario: the park never really got London Rocks to where they wanted it (during any of the seasons). All For One at least met their expectations partially for a new concept. I might expect add-ons, but nothing to the extent of removing the good stuff.

Now if we could only have a soundtrack...

I agree, at least All For One is off to a great start, all the new team needs to do is what they did for the last three weeks of the show and apply that to the show next year.

BTW: How's the full video of the show coming along? Just curious.

Reactions: jornor
As of this post, the show has been confirmed by the park to return for the 2017 season with "new action and adventure" whatever that quote means. I'm excited to see what changes the entertainment department did for this year, crossing fingers that it's made this show great. :)

Guys, according to this casting call: "All For One" is going to go through some VERY BIG changes!

I sure hope this works.

https://www.backstage.com/casting/all-for-one-107226/

EDIT: The changes seem to be as follows:

1. D'Artagnan will be a woman this time around who "is attempting to honor her father's wishes and become a Musketeer". Maybe this could work if the revised writing is good.

2. Milady De Winter is replaced by Count Rochefort who is a bigger, and fitting, antagonist in the many adaptations of the story. Rochefort killed D'Artagnan's father in the adaptations of the book so this idea of character conflict can work if done well.

3. Queen Anne is no where to be found unless they reduced her role to the same level as King Louis XIII in the ensemble. Which is a shame because I liked her role in the show last year.

4. Planchett is mostly the same except now he's "protective and has a penchant of pyro that complicates matters for the Musketeers".

The differences between last year's and this year's show is already apparent in the casting call. I'm crossing my fingers that I hope these new ideas will work come June 30th.

EDIT EDIT: Here's the casting list in case the link doesn't work.

[D’ARTAGNAN] Female. She is a dashing newcomer who is attempting to honor her father’s
wishes and become a Musketeer. Her passion and drive, coupled with an eagerness to
prove her worth through fighting, complicate the story. Seeking a dynamic actor with
excellent fight skills. Athletic experience, bullwhip training, parkour, gymnastics or previous
stunt experience a plus.

[ATHOS] Male. The elder statesmen and proverbial leader of the Musketeers. Seeking an
experienced theatrical actor combatant with stunt training. Comfort with heights required.

[PORTHOS] Male. The extrovert of the Musketeers. Seeking an experienced theatrical actor
combatant with stunt training. Comfort with heights required.

[ARAMIS] Male. An ambitious, womanizing soldier who values friendship above all else.
Seeking an experienced theatrical actor combatant with stunt training in acrobatics, parkour,
tricking, and aerials. Comfort with heights required. Athletic experiences, gymnastics or
previous stunt experience a plus.

[PLANCHET] Male. The comic guardian of D'artagnan. Well-intentioned and protective, his
antics and penchant for pyro complicate matters for the Musketeers. Strong comedic actor
with athletic experiences required. Stunt training, stage combat, and experience with pyro
and explosions a plus.

[ROCHEFORT] Male. Captain of the Red Guard. A deadly mastermind and enemy of the
Musketeers. Seeking strong actor with stunt experience and heavy sword fight training that
can command the stage with a powerful presence.

[HIGH FALL ENSEMBLE] Male and Female. The Red guards and ensemble characters that
make up the story. High Fall experience doing face offs and headers from 25 feet required.
Extensive stunt training and fight experience required. Will play multiple characters.

[ENSEMBLE] Male and Female. The Red guards and ensemble characters that make up
the story. Fall experience a must. Stunt training and fight experience required. Will play
multiple characters and some will understudy lead roles

I am very excited for it. I can only hope that most (if not all) costumes will return. Due to the deliberate color enhancements of the fabrics, the costumes looked plain silly in daylight, but are perfect for a night-time show.

It would be cool to have some of the characters roaming around like they did late last year. They just need to create separate costumes for daylight. Also, everyone could see the holes for the harness rigging while they were out in the daylight.

CastleOSullivan said:
It would be cool to have some of the characters roaming around like they did late last year. They just need to create separate costumes for daylight. Also, everyone could see the holes for the harness rigging while they were out in the daylight.

That would be great way for them to promote the show until it opens on June 30th. I wonder what you think of the character changes this year.

The character changes sound interesting, and they might be for the best. One of the problems they had with the character Milady D'Winter is that they had trouble keeping both performers up-to-date with how they were supposed to act as a female villain in that time period. Whereas a male villain should be easier for clarity, because they act more or less the same regardless of the time period.

The biggest thing that I want is for them to create a clear story with a strong beginning middle and end, without dumbing down the entire plot. One perfect example is the preshow but they did last year. I hope they don't do that again. It's obvious that they realized the storyline was probably a bit too complex, especially if the audience may or may not hear the performers.

Then again, they were also taking a page from the ancient Greeks, if you think about it. Today, however, a chorus doesn't work the way it used to. Instead of clarifying the storyline, it just makes the audience feel dumb.

Yeah I'll be man enough to admit that while the idea of the preshow was good, it feels a little off compared to the show that unfolded before us. It would be great if the crew figured out how to iron a strong 27-30 minute story where "Lady" D'Artagnan wants to be a Musketeer in order to avenge her father's death caused by Captain Rochefort and convinces the Musketeers that she is highly skilled despite that she's a woman. Once she is accepted as an apprentice and welcomed by King Louis XIII and Queen Anne, she instantly discovers not only Rochefort but his plot to take over France. Rochefort finds her and sends his Red Guards to get her but she escapes to the Tavern to tell the three men what she found out. That is where the rest of the show might play out just like last year did with some changes during those scenes.

Or if they are going to do a preshow again, they might re-write and re-stage to make it feel smarter and less "audience participation" like.

I noticed that they re-used the old promotional poster at the Banbury Cross clock but instead of a "July 1st" date it's the updated "June 30th" date. Has anyone else noticed that while entering the park?

Most of the set appears to be built already. The stage right side has what looks like a rock wall. I have also heard that the painting of King Lois XIII has been relocated, but this I haven't seen the stage myself since this change.

The set for All For One looks quite different. It has a rock wall, and several fortress walls kind of like the ones around InvadR. I wonder if there will be some kind of tied in. I know it wouldn't make any sense, but they need something to draw the audience directly into the action rather than having a slow preshow like last year.
[tweet=https://twitter.com/castleosullivan/status/873628758670020609]

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad