Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I’ve been there. Good luck.

The whole pigeon forge area is easy to get to, if you need to fly into Knoxville it’s only a 50 minute drive. Charleston is a tiny regional airport with sucky service (experienced) is over an hour away and Pittsburgh (closest major airport) is 2+ hours. The only thing going for it is it’s off 79. But even at that, that part of 79 is a dangerous drive.

I don't think I've driven that stretch of 79, but it looks absolutely desolate. Little over an hour from Charleston. An hour from New River Gorge. Nearly an hour and a half from Morgantown.

I wish them luck, but I think you'd have to see some crazy subsidies to get any private investment to take a risk this size.

Sounds like it’s time for all of us to empty our piggy banks (and 401Ks… and if anyone is sitting on some Nvidia stock, time to cash that in too) so we can prepare our proposal to the WV lawmakers and finally build our ParkFans theme park 😈

Pigeon Forge features a large expansive valley with the mountains on the edge. This is one reason it developed as it did. There was plenty of level land to build attractions.

Fllatwoods isn’t that mountainous. Elkins area and farther more resembles Pigeon Forge

Most of Southern WV is mountainous but way too rugged slopes and narrow valleys .

There’s probably some areas around the I-64 headed toward VA that would work.

But Flatwoods is absolutely not a place I would go to if I wanted to visit the mountains of West Virginia

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad