Walibi (Holland) RMC Conversion - Untamed

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

GrandpaD

Grumpy Ol' Man
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
The ride was shut down due to structural issues. Article is in Dutch. This is the Google translation-

There are problems with the construction of the new roller coaster Untamed in Walibi Holland. Yesterday, the newest addition to the amusement park had been out of use for hours due to work. Today the 36.5 meter high hybrid coaster does not open at all. A Walibi spokesperson confirms this to Looopings.

"For Untamed, of course, we have built a new track on top of an existing structure," the spokesperson explains. "As a result, tensions can always arise on the left or right, which means that we unexpectedly have to perform preventive maintenance." Cracks have been found in some of the beams.

So there is really no question of a technical malfunction: beams simply have to be replaced. "We already did that yesterday. This morning it turned out that some work is still needed." Construction fences have been erected in front of the entrance. It is expected that Untamed will be open again tomorrow.

Walibi is disappointed by the temporary closure, the spokesperson said. "But we also know that with such a type of attraction - where something new was built on top of something old - there is simply a need for faster maintenance than for a completely new attraction."

here's the link to the Dutch site story-

• Wow
Reactions: BGWnut and Zachary
Apr 22, 2019
I don't even understand why they keep this sham going. RMCs are barely conversions. I really think they only leave some small amount of existing structure so they can call it a conversion. They should just tear the old ride down and build it all new. That's what it really is anyway.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
I don't even understand why they keep this sham going. RMCs are barely conversions. I really think they only leave some small amount of existing structure so they can call it a conversion. They should just tear the old ride down and build it all new. That's what it really is anyway.
Wut.
  • "Sham"?
  • There are plenty of RMC conversion jobs that have hardly added any NEW structure.
  • No park WANTS their guests to see their new RMC to be a new version of an old ride people didn't really like. That doesn't benefit the park at all.
  • Tearing down perfectly good parts of a coaster to rebuild profits them what exactly?
This is like some crazy conspiracy theory shit.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019
I guess I don't believe that they are saving any money by doing this. It's think it's got to be cheaper to just tear it down and build it back up, as opposed to figuring out which wood is in good enough shape to withstand the new ride and only tearing down the other parts (and it sure sounds like they blew it on Untamed).

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
(and it sure sounds like they blew it on Untamed)
It seems excessive to say they blew it. They identified a problem that they'll fix. This isn't all that different than what happened with InvadR during testing. After a bunch of cycles they realized that the coaster was destroying the final turn and they had to rebuild a good chunk of it. This stuff happens with wooden coasters.

Apr 22, 2019
It seems excessive to say they blew it. They identified a problem that they'll fix. This isn't all that different than what happened with InvadR during testing. After a bunch of cycles they realized that the coaster was destroying the final turn and they had to rebuild a good chunk of it. This stuff happens with wooden coasters.
Yeah, I agree. That was an overstatement on my part. And yes there can be issues like this on even entirely new structures. Though surely using old wood is inherently problematic. Wood doesn't last forever.

Reactions: Zachary

GrandpaD

Grumpy Ol' Man
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
Untamed has had issues...

Hit translate from Dutch to read.

Basically seat cushions have come off, issues with brakes, beams and speed. Oh, the usual with a new coaster...

Reactions: Zachary
Login or Register to Hide This Ad