Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Link to iCloud…file won’t attach??

Here is my recording of tonight’s polar pathway show. My child punched a button right at the beginning but I corrected pretty quickly.

My opinion is…this looks like a light mapping demo that a company would put together to sell a light show. But this random assortment of random lights and random music made no sense at all. I could see it becoming something. Even Elmo has a Christmas wish. There’s every opportunity to tell a simple story here. I hate to just say “Jack is Back” but it needs that simple type of theme. Is it a dance party? Is it a throwback to Christmas classic movies? Is it a beautiful display to get close to your loved one?

My children danced through the whole thing so I can’t say it’s all bad.

Yeah, your thoughts echo mine @warfelg and @nick.

I got strong flashbacks to the projection mapping shows BGW tried to do a few years back. Spectacle of Lights feels exactly like a generic tech demo or a selection of available presets in some demo software. Not a good look and it clashes horribly with Polar Pathway.

I think there is something good that could be dug out of it with a lot more thought and effort put in, but right now, this show just ain't it.

Yeah, your thoughts echo mine @warfelg and @nick.

I got strong flashbacks to the projection mapping shows BGW tried to do a few years back. Spectacle of Lights feels exactly like a generic tech demo or a selection of available presets in some demo software. Not a good look and it clashes horribly with Polar Pathway.

I think there is something good that could be dug out of it with a lot more thought and effort put in, but right now, this show just ain't it.
Hopefully it’s one of those “didn’t get time to figure it out” issues than “we learned a thing.”

At Dollywood, their Christmas tree show tells the “story” of a character named Black Bear celebrating Christmas. It’s a remarkably simple narrative that ties the show together. For example, when Black Bear “plays in the snow”, Sleigh Ride plays, and when Black Bear dreams of Christmas morning with his family, a jazzy medley of Christmas pop songs plays. All of it is conveyed through simple narration and images. But it builds a narrative and creates a thematic atmosphere that makes the whole show fit together. Polar Pathway should do something like that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

That said, I’m happy that they’ve kept the old music and tone of Polar Pathway when the show isn’t going. The lights look like a strict improvement.

Dollywood's Christmas tree show is remarkable in how it uses the same dancing tree lights and snow machines found at many holiday events to create a unique magical experience. It's all about the music and the simple storytelling. The snowfall finale, kicked off by the Dollywood butterfly fluttering up the tree, is a true crowd-pleaser every time.

Based on the name, I seriously thought this would be an actual ride: like Pompeii, but fully lit up (without the water of course). Nice way to warm up too. Now THAT would seriously be a cool way to utilize this area and take advantage of it, not a boring, modern so-called "spectacle of lights".

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Based on the name, I seriously thought this would be an actual ride: like Pompeii, but fully lit up (without the water of course). Nice way to warm up too. Now THAT would seriously be a cool way to utilize this area and take advantage of it, not a boring, modern so-called "spectacle of lights".
How would you incorporate a ride?

Sadly not possible. There's no way for Pompeii to run dry.

If the ride system ever needs to be replaced (hard to see them completely demolishing it, but who knows), I wonder if they could get a water coaster with built-in brakes and drive tires/propulsion to run dry?

To be fair, doubt they'd want to pay for that unless it was a proven option installed elsewhere.

Reactions: Mwe BGW and Skyride
Aww darn it. I always thought it was like Griffon: a roller coaster system with water attached. Looking at a picture of the drop now I feel kind of dumb for thinking that lol

Reactions: Mwe BGW
This show feels like it was slapped together. The music just stops abruptly, not even a a good place in the songs. Then the next song starts.

The lighting itself is very “grid” looking compared to the previous lighting

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad