Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Carowinds fired 27 guest workers because they were drinking under age and had a run in with the police. This is despite the fact no arrest were made and no charges were filed. This seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

http://abc11.com/news/carowinds-employees-getting-kicked-out-of-country/1456725/

Reactions: MAZ
BEC had a very similar policy and I am sure SEAS does as well. BEC was more stickily handled due to their ties to AB and I'm sure due to SEAS holding an ABC license they don't want to do anything to let the ABC officers come in and give them reasons to strip it away especially with the revenue it brings in. All I can state on in BEC was tough in almost every cases with their zero tolerance even a DUI/DIP/Underage drinking as an employee not serving or TIPS trained in many cases could get you terminated due to them being owned by AB and their alcohol licensing.

I can understand parks having strict alcohol regulations in order to keep their ABC licences in part to those working within park hours. But these employees weren't in the park let alone working when the incident happened and the police didn't even charge any of the employees involved. Yet the park fired them without even bothering to look into the case and all of them were foreign workers thus I scream injustice and discrimination on the part of Carowinds.

I was thinking the same thing basically. Seems like what the youngsters are doing outside of work is none of Carowinds business. (Well, unless they are getting hammered before their shift)

Reactions: BBW
Possibly, as MAZ said, they could have been drinking before work. Also, was the park taking care of their housing? If so, Maybe they represent the park while they are here. IDK...

MAZ said:
I was thinking the same thing basically. Seems like what the youngsters are doing outside of work is none of Carowinds business. (Well, unless they are getting hammered before their shift)
The incident happened at 1 AM according to police. It's a little bit of a stretch to say that that is before a their shift.

Also it was off park property and off park time. On top off that ONLY way it could have effected the parks ABC License would be if they had been sold it at the park or if they were consuming it while serving neither of which have been alleged.

Reactions: BBW
I don't know the regulations, but isn't it possible that Caro or CF is responsible for them 24/7, because the park sponsors them in the US? I would imagine the rules are different for exchange workers than Americans.

I am not taking a side; I just think it might not matter, if they are not on the clock, because of their specific employment arrangements. For context, I can be fired for things I do, when I am not at work, because of the terms of my employment.

So, I spoke with someone who has some insight on what actually happened. My understanding is that it was CIEE, not Caro that decided that the students had to leave the country. I imagine because despite not be charged, they were caught publicly breaking US law, and attempted to run away from the police.

Reportedly, CF generally turns a blind eye to drinking and other activities, when they take place off the clock and they are out of uniform.

Reactions: Unagi and MAZ
Nicole said:
I don't know the regulations, but isn't it possible that Caro or CF is responsible for them 24/7, because the park sponsors them in the US?   I would imagine the rules are different for exchange workers than Americans.

I am not taking a side; I just think it might not matter, if they are not on the clock, because of their specific employment arrangements.  For context, I can be fired for things I do, when I am not at work, because of the terms of my employment.

For the International Village BEC would bounce you right out if the WCP police had to go there for a call or you were arrested. It's also a violation that can get your work visa pulled for breaking a US law that can cause deportation. This is the most likely case in why they were fired because their visas were most likely going to be pulled and would no longer be employable considering CW was the sponsor. Just a speculation.

Reactions: Nicole
acrossdapark said:
Nicole said:
I don't know the regulations, but isn't it possible that Caro or CF is responsible for them 24/7, because the park sponsors them in the US?   I would imagine the rules are different for exchange workers than Americans.

I am not taking a side; I just think it might not matter, if they are not on the clock, because of their specific employment arrangements.  For context, I can be fired for things I do, when I am not at work, because of the terms of my employment.

For the International Village BEC would bounce you right out if the JCC police had to go there for a call or you were arrested. It's also a violation that can get your work visa pulled for breaking a US law that can cause deportation. This is the most likely case in why they were fired because their visas were most likely going to be pulled and would no longer be employable considering CW was the sponsor. Just a speculation.

Isn't the International Village in Williamsburg?

JUmelSA said:
acrossdapark said:
Nicole said:

For the International Village BEC would bounce you right out if the JCC police had to go there for a call or you were arrested. It's also a violation that can get your work visa pulled for breaking a US law that can cause deportation. This is the most likely case in why they were fired because their visas were most likely going to be pulled and would no longer be employable considering CW was the sponsor. Just a speculation.

Isn't the International Village in Williamsburg?

Yes it's within the City limits of Wmbg. Go 1/4 mile down the road from it and you are in JCC or York.

JUmelSA said:
Then wouldn't it be Williamsburg Police that go there?

Wmbg City Police would go to the International Village if needed. I didn't mean the put JCC police in my post I meant WCP would have gone. Sorry about the clarification guess I need to edit it. Didn't realize why you were asking. Guess I was thinking JCC since they take care of the park when I wrote it. My fault.

MAZ said:
Why would Williamsburg police go to Charlotte and arrest a bunch of foreign Carowinds workers?

They wouldn't I commented on how BEC would have handled it at the International Village and how the work visas could possibly get pulled if you were arrested on a work sponsored visa.

MAZ said:
Why would Williamsburg police go to Charlotte and arrest a bunch of foreign Carowinds workers?

Uh Maz I believe you are confused because there is no way in hell that city police from Williamsburg VA would travel around three hours to Charlotte NC just to happen across foreign workers and not even charge or arrest them, don't you think?

Reactions: SWStevo
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad