Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Busch Gardens Williamsburg said:
Training one of the world’s top predators begins with an essential ingredient of the human/animal connection: trust. The Gray Wolf is the subject of countless myths and legends, yet at his core, he’s a lot like us. Family oriented, playful and deeply affectionate toward their pack, working with them requires an understanding of this loyalty and their complex communication system. Building on these insights, we’ll help you try your own hand at connecting with these amazing animals, and communicating with them through a language of gestures they’ve come to understand.

Price: $27
Link: Here

Reactions: jornor
Has anyone done this? I'm thinking about getting the tour for my 9 yr old budding animal behaviorist's birthday. What's it like?

Reactions: jornor
This tour is still on my to do list. That said, other SEAS animal tours I have taken have been great, and have emphasized their training programs (positive reinforcement regimes, designed to teach the animals to participate ion their own care).

Reactions: jornor and Zimmy
Has anyone done this? I'm thinking about getting the tour for my 9 yr old budding animal behaviorist's birthday. What's it like?

I know this question is from over a year ago, but just in case anyone is still interested...

I took my mom on the tour a couple of years ago for her birthday. We ended up being the only guests so it was very one-in-one, and the trainer was very friendly and, of course, knowledgeable. The first part of the tour is similar to the regular talk; you stand in front of the show enclosure and she tells you about the wolves. It’s better than the talk though because it’s more of a conversation and you can ask questions. I remember she gave us a tuft of shed fur to feel, and she may have had a cast of a footprint if I recall correctly? At some point, I think early on, a couple of wolves came out. I think they roamed while we were talking. The trainer demonstrated how they train/reward them. We got to go up the stairs to the speaker’s platform one at a time and give a command for one of the wolves to jump and touch the hanging ball, and we got to reward them with a piece of meat.. that was probably the best part. She also posed the wolves on their stumps and she took a few photos of us (with our cameras) in front of them. After sending the wolves on their way, we headed to the large exhibit and she got the wolves down there to howl for us.

I had seen the trainer show plenty of times so I knew a lot of what we talked about, but it was neat touching the fur and really cool “training” the wolf and feeding it. The wolf knows you have the treat and just stares at you and it’s kind of thrilling to be the center of it’s intense attention. I like wolves and my mom is super into them so it was worth doing.. I’d recommend it if you are the least bit interested.

So this tour is fantastic. Our tour was just 4 people, my friend and I and 2 other girls. Corryne was our guide and was extremely knowledgeable. She works year round with these animals and has been with the park a couple of years. We got to learn the back stories of the wolves on property and their pack structures. Then Boise came out but he really wasn't feeling the change in weather so then they brought us out Maska and Kitchie. Maska was supposed to do commands for us but also was not feeling it so Kitchie hung out with us. (They only positive reinforcement for all training and if they're not feeling it they never make them do something they don't want to.) Kitchie is the largest of the wolves on property and he was ready to play. We each took a turn learning a command and then going onto the perch in the show area, giving our commands and then throwing them a treat. My command was under, but Kitchie went over lol. I didn't throw him a treat and he just tried again, which he did great! We then got to howl with him and last but not least we each got an autograph from the wolves. (their stamped paw print they get during checkups) overall it was a great tour that I would do again in the future!View attachment 20181021_124817.mp4

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad