Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 29, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
The ride got stuck at the top today. After several hours the ride began to slowly lower to the ground. I would have been shi***ng my pants!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/09/19/knotts-berry-farm-windseeker-stranded_n_1898952.html

I have been on Windseeker and it does seem like it would be awful to be stuck up there. You don't realize how high up you are on it until you reach the top. I can't imagine being stuck up there for SEVERAL hours. That just seems insane.

6 million dollars and you have something like that happen... Glad KD's Windseeker isn't having those issues.

Also media overreactions to trivial incidents for the loss

Crackel said:
The ride got stuck at the top today.

And that wasn't even the first time it's happened...

From the Orange County Register:
Knott's ride again strands passengers 300 feet above ground

By SEAN EMERY / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

BUENA PARK – A malfunction Wednesday on a ride at Knott's Berry Farm left 20 riders stuck on the attraction for about three and a half hours.
The security system on the Windseeker attraction activated about 4 p.m., causing the ride to come to a halt at the top of the tower and leaving the riders trapped in gondolas about 300 feet above the ground, said Jennifer Blazey, a park spokeswoman.

Riders on the Windseeker ride at Knott's Berry Farm get stuck Wednesday afternoon around 4 in the afternoon. The 300 foot high ride held about 20 people captive as the park's ride maintenance crews worked to get the passengers down. The riders were still stuck at 6 pm when the amusement park closed.

"It basically got stuck," Blazey said.

The riders got off the attraction about 7:45 p.m., after it was lowered to the ground.

The ride will remain closed while park officials investigate the incident, Blazey said. No injuries were reported.

The malfunction was the second time in two weeks that riders have become stuck. On Sept. 7, 15 people were trapped on the ride about three hours, until crews manually raised the ride to the top and then lowered it to the ground. No injuries were reported.

The earlier malfunction was later attributed to an inaccurate reading in an electrical safety switch, according to Knott's officials, not a problem with the ride itself.

The Windseeker, the park's newest ride, has been operating about a year. It takes as many as 64 riders about 300 feet above the ground before whirling them at a 45-degree angle.

Knott's officials said each of the park's rides is "inspected, check-listed and properly maintained" on a daily basis.

Staff writer Michael Mello contributed to this report.

See as much as you guys kvetch about Mach Tower...have they ever had people stuck at the top of it for hours? :D

Post #200 BTW:exclamation:

There's only one Mach Tower, whereas there's 6 Mondial WindSeekers.

Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Knott's and Cedar Point. Every single one has had major issues multiple times other than Kings Dominion (shocker, really). Canada's Wonderland is literally a paperweight, moreso than Mach Tower actually.

I honestly did not find windseeker that thrilling. It was cool in all, don't get me wrong, but I was not scared. However, the view was fantastic.

redsoxfan787 said:
Kings dominions is also the newest. Give it time :D

It was built the same time as Carowinds's, and they've been having issues that are just as bad as Knott's. Canada's Wonderland can't even get theirs to open most of the time. These rides are literally maintenance nightmares.

If they get season passes or something for getting stuck up there they are lucky, that would be really scary, and if it was windy you could probably feel the tower moving, i would have demanded like 10 passes for all cedar fair parks for a couple years

redsoxfan787 said:
Kings dominions is also the newest. Give it time :D

I also remember hearing that Windseeker's seats were getting extremely too close to each other in one of the test videos that was shown for KD, so it did have a few issues before it opened too.
But geez just thinking about this incident gives me the willies. I honestly think this could be the worst ride ever to get stuck on; limited restraints with dangling legs, insane heights. It sounds like a nightmare...

[tweet=https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/249279780527169536]

ALL WindSeekers have been shut down until further Inspection is done on them.

redsoxfan787 said:
Yeah I would much rather be stuck at the top of i305 than wind seeker
Being stuck on I305 is kinda fun. I was only stuck for like 30 seconds but it still was cool to stop and then fall back until the anti-roll back caught. Then slowly went forward again.
There's a video of the type of breakdown it was. No idea what caused it but employees paid no attention. Happened to the train before me and then my train.

I got stuck on Windseeker at KD this spring... stuck for about 20-30 minutes about 40-50ft in the air... than after I got off, they were issuing re-admittance passes for the ride, but guess what it said, "Not valid for Windseeker"... My friend (who does the Busch POV's) has a video of it, but has never posted it on youtube.

FAL NR OX said:
I got stuck on Windseeker at KD this spring... stuck for about 20-30 minutes about 40-50ft in the air... than after I got off, they were issuing re-admittance passes for the ride, but guess what it said, "Not valid for Windseeker"... My friend (who does the Busch POV's) has a video of it, but has never posted it on youtube.
I got one of those when I got stuck on volcano. I guess it says not valid for windseeker because it's new?

^my point is that we were stuck on windseeker and did not get much of the ride, so I should have been able to ride it for the line I waited in

So from my experiences and a couple of buddies chipping in their experiences, Six Flag's Sky Screamers are more reliable than the Winseekers. Guess you can't judge rides by the way they look anymore...

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad