Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Ben

Apr 12, 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
There has been so much negativity and sadness on the forums in the last 36 hours that I believe we should have a thread dedicated to positive thoughts. Simple, why do you love the park? I love it because it is a place where I can spend time with my friends and family without stress, ride roller coasters and watch shows, and feel like i'm in "the Olde Country"

If you feel you dont love it in it's current state, why did you love it?

RE: Why do you love BGW?

I love the park for its adventure. Each visit is different then the other. And you always end up having fun. Whether it rains all day and all the rides are shut down, you end up having fun in the rain. The next day you might find $20 on the floor at Loch Ness (which has happened to me :D) No matter what, you always create some kind of memory, whether you realize it of not :) Plus it is home to "The Legendary Loch Ness Monster!"

I will get to experience it's current state in 16 days, but I loved it for the beauty of the park. From the landscaping all the way to the scenery from the different rides, and because of the BBW. I loved how friendly and family oriented it was. How you could sit in the park and take in all its beauty in certain serene places. I also love it because it's one of a kind.

This...

attachment.php

:heart: :cool:

I love the park because of the environment. I'm a big fan of immersive escapism, and Busch Gardens, at various periods, has done a great job of creating that type of setting. I never have been much for the rides. I mean, it's nice to have something to actually do at the park, but the rides aren't what bring me through the gates.

The food, the theming, the illusion.

I love the park because it brings back memories of being a little kid...no worries. There's that feeling of being in a quaint, simple time that just transports you away from troubles. It's not like Disney, where you go to some fantasy world; what I love about Busch Gardens is the gritty, old, peaceful adventure dominated by the mightiest coasters soaring overhead, that evoked memories of a day filled with exploring a calm, cool place unlike anywhere else (even the places on which the hamlets are actually based!) That's why I love Busch Gardens...I love the old, dusty memories, and how they can still live on when you visit.

Dr. Julius Money Ed.D said:
I love the park because of the environment. I'm a big fan of immersive escapism, and Busch Gardens, at various periods, has done a great job of creating that type of setting. I never have been much for the rides. I mean, it's nice to have something to actually do at the park, but the rides aren't what bring me through the gates.

The food, the theming, the illusion.

This, except I really love the rides, as well. But BGW through 2007 was a transport to another, wonderful place. Immersive, transporting, transformative. Beautiful, serene (even with people screaming overhead on Alpengeist or hearing that lovely clacking of the anti-rollback dogs on Nessie or BBW), adventurous (as Hoopla said, always a great experience, whether you rode rides, saw a show, watched people leave because of rain but stayed yourself and had a blast in a quiet park). It was fun always discovering new details, like the small sculptures atop the buildings in Germany. Or finally tearing myself from the rides and discovering some amazing shows, like Imaginique and Irish Thunder, and some fun shows, like the animal shows and Starlight Orchestra. As Nora said in another thread, something in the park called to your spirit, your soul.

It's still a great place, and miles above most other parks in cleanliness, with still a decent collection of rides and some decent shows. But the service attitude of the staff and the cohesive themeing and attention to detail are missing, and the park doesn't call to me any more. But this thread is about what you loved -- so that was what I loved. And why I still miss that, some 5-6 years later.

And, finally, what did I love? The Big Bad Wolf. As good as Vbolt is, it just doesn't match the visceral experience of actually twisting and swinging through the village, then dropping to the Rhine. I watched some POV video of the Wolf last night and remembered that that was a big reason why I loved the park. The Big Bad Wolf.

J0E1 said:
I love the park because it brings back memories of being a little kid...no worries. There's that feeling of being in a quaint, simple time that just transports you away from troubles. It's not like Disney, where you go to some fantasy world; what I love about Busch Gardens is the gritty, old, peaceful adventure dominated by the mightiest coasters soaring overhead, that evoked memories of a day filled with exploring a calm, cool place unlike anywhere else (even the places on which the hamlets are actually based!) That's why I love Busch Gardens...I love the old, dusty memories, and how they can still live on when you visit.

YES! Alright.

I love it because it feels a lot like Tivoli Gardens in Denmark. In some places it feels like a Six Flags (*cough* FESTA *cough*), but in most all other places, it feels like a real "Park". The rides are an afterthought to me, to be honest.

(Although I'll never forgive BGW for getting rid of my beloved LeMans cars.....Yes, I'm bitter)

IndyRacingNut said:
I love it because it feels a lot like Tivoli Gardens in Denmark. In some places it feels like a Six Flags (*cough* FESTA *cough*), but in most all other places, it feels like a real "Park". The rides are an afterthought to me, to be honest.

(Although I'll never forgive BGW for getting rid of my beloved LeMans cars.....Yes, I'm bitter)

It's funny...I can't remember what the park looked like before Griffon. I rode the Le Mans cars tons of times..can definitely remember the cars, themselves...but I can't recall how France looked with the cars there.

Does anyone have pics?

Reactions: IndyRacingNut
I can find a ton of pics of those....if only I could remember exactly where they are, considering how many times I've moved in the last 10 years...

In the meantime, here's the google link to images of it. https://www.google.com/search?q=Busch+gardens+lemans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X2fXUZ31HILD4AOv_4CYBA&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=783

Reactions: Julia and Hoopla
Let me know if you find any of Aquitaine with Le Mans in the background. I just can't picture how it used to look in France before Griffon was built.

I lost my homepark...Opryland in Nashville, TN...they paved paradise and put up a shopping mall....literally. Before you scoff at a park in the home of country music know that this park billed itself as the home of American music. I was a teen most of the time that I visited but I went just about every week it was open, often multiple times. The shows (minus the country ones which I didn't care for) were wonderful to me and represented a wide range of musical genres. I was heartbroken when it closed.

When I moved to Yorktown I was beyond happy to have a theme park home again. We bought season tickets to Busch immediately even though we had little money at the time. The park became our refuge from the mundanity of our normal, rather impecunious lives. It was a place to take our children and have a wonderful time, even if we had to picnic to afford it. As our means grew, so did our enjoyment of the park as we acquainted ourselves with the (very small then) Smokehouse. We so loved all the shows...even the much maligned American Jukebox. Just when I thought we couldn't enjoy the park more they added Howl-o-Scream which we have visited almost twice every weekend from the inception. And while the joy of Howl-o-Scream was still strong they added Christmas Town and due to purchases of $5 and now slightly more expensive tickets we have visited that event about 10 times each season.

We first started coming to Busch as a family when we vacationed at VA Beach in my in-laws' condo and have seen my children grow from riding the kiddie rides and visiting the petting zoo to enjoying the opening of Land of the Dragons and the show there. My children are now 19 and 22 and it is still our place to have a great family time together. Look for us; we are the family in the front row at Celtic Fyre, the ones polkaing (badly but enthusiastically) with the dancers in the Festhaus, the ones who can finally pronounce gemuchlichkeit...good friends, good food, good fun!

^
When I was a kid in the 80's, My Dad lived in Hendersonville, near Nashville, TN. We used to go to OpryLand a few times each summer. I remember it being a lot of fun. Very sad what happened to it. :(

BGW has been my home park for over 3 1/2 years now. :)

Reactions: Julia and Jesy
I think the reason I enjoy BGW so much is the fact that over the years I have spent so much time at the park. I was able work at the park as a contractor in my early twenties and spent many hours working there at night on several of the rides.

I have always felt that the park is a wonderful way to unwind and enjoy the scenery, rides and shows that were available back then. I have been a annual pass holder for more years than I can remember.

Once I got married I began buying passes for my family to enjoy the park as well. We still visit the park several times a year and have a good time in spite of all the changes that have taken place. No it's not the same park it used to be it has changed but the park is still clean and a nice place to unwind.

I would love to see more of what made the park so wonderful in the past. The street actors added a nice touch of realism and always made us smile. We continue to support the park hoping it will return to what made it great to begin with. Only time will tell..

Eric M

It's a great place to spend the day, the landscaping is beautiful, there's plenty of places to relax and unwind when you need a break and of course they have some great rides.

My 11 year old would spend all day riding the Lochness Monster if you'd let her, she's looking forward to finally being tall enough to ride Alpengeist and the Griffon when we go back this summer.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad