What is your favorite "underrated" attraction?

• Eiffel Tower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue Ridge Tollway

• Shenandoah Lumber Company

• Americana

• Bad Apple

• Carousel

• Dodgem

• Snoopy's Rocket Express

• WindSeeker

• Anaconda

• Scrambler

• Great Pumpkin Coaster

• Wave Swinger

• Other Planet Snoopy Rides

• Total voters
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Since it is already the off-season, I guess it is time to start with those "off season" discussions.

I recently realized that some of my favorite attractions at Kings Dominion are some of the park's least celebrated. For example, even though Blue Ridge Tollway rarely shows up on billboards or online ads, and won't top most enthusiasts' "must do" lists, for me, a visit to the park is incomplete without a drive on the Tollway. In fact, I think what gives a park its character is not so much its headlining attractions, but those odds and ends that often pale in comparison to the park's front runners.

So, I ask you: what is your favorite "underrated" attraction? More simply, this question could be asked as: "What is the most underrated attraction?"

I know "underrated" is an ambiguous term, but for the purposes of this discussion, let's define it as an attraction that receives less recognition than you think it deserves. Simple as that.

To see what people think, go ahead and vote for your top choice in the poll. But, since I think there is more than one "underrated" attraction at the park, go ahead and list, say, your top 4 below. I'll go first.

1. Boo Blasters on Boo Hill
2. Blue Ridge Tollway
3. Flying Eagles
4. Avalanche

Feel free to leave a brief explanation, if you would like. For me, Boo Blasters is one of my favorite rides at Kings Dominion. It is re-rideable and chock-full of detail, and despite being an incredibly fun attraction, many people tend to scratch their heads when I mention it. Blue Ridge Tollway is a pure, simple, and relaxing ride that many people overlook as they head over to the coasters. Flying Eagles looks like any old flat, but if controlled right, can provide the most exhilarating ride in the park, although most would not deem it a "thrill ride" just by looking at it. Finally, Avalanche is a unique, smooth, and purely fun coaster ride that seems to be forgotten about as it stands in the shadows of "shinier" rides nearby.

One more note: I've omitted some obviously well-celebrated attractions from the poll, to keep it brief. If you truly believe Intimidator 305 is the park's most underrated attraction, say so below, at the risk of looking like a total buffoon. If, for some reason, your choice does not appear on the poll, please state it below along with an explanation.

Flying Eagles for days. Such a beautiful location, it's borderline tradition to ride it every visit.

Other than that, Boo Blasters as well. Why? My buddies and I can't get enough of the camera and priceless on-ride photos we take.

Being the total idiot that I am, I neglected to add my #3 choice to the poll. Could a staff member please add Flying Eagles?

My top three favorite underrated would be Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, Avalanche and White Water Canyon. Those are three that I try to hit everytime I go to KD now. I wish maintenance on Boo Blasters, specifically, keeping up with broken guns, would be improved, but other than that it's really fun, and a thematic masterpiece for KD stnadards(and most regional park standards). Avalanche is easily one of my top 3 coasters at the park. It's just so charming and unique, and in a great setting. White Water Canyon is just a bunch of fun.

Blue Ridge Tollway is nice and relaxing, but I feel maintenance needs to be improved dramatically, a lot of the cars are looking quite rough. Shenandoah needs TLC, and as far as ride experience goes, it is quite overrated most of the time, IMO.

Reactions: Zachary
This question was surprising difficult for me.

My first choice is really a toss-up between Avalanche and The Scooby Doo. I think I ended up picking the former, because the name "Woodstock Express" sets my teeth on edge. Scooby Doo was my first coaster and is still a lot of fun; but Avalanche is on of the most unusual rides in the park, and I love the feeling of not being tied to a track.

Reactions: SWStevo and Luke
I just noticed that Rebel Yell is on the list. I don't think it would have occurred to me to consider it "underrated."

Regardless, it is tied with Avalanche and Scooby Doo for me. It would be first, if it still went backwards.

Reactions: SWStevo
Does Blue Ridge Tollway still run with the old Model A replicas and all? I would have thought that disappeared long ago. That'll be fun to take the misses on next season. She's never been to KD. I remember driving those then I was 8.

Scooby Doo Coaster was my first one too long, long ago. I think it was 1987.

Reactions: Nicole
I agree with Nic, I am surprised RY was on the list. Frankly it was a toss of a coin for me between it and Grizzly. Ultimately I chose RY because it looked sad with no votes!

Reactions: SWStevo and Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad