Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
This thread is to tell everyone what the worst ride you have ever ridden is.

I'll start.

The worst ride I have ever been on is Shockwave at Kings Dominion. It is a very lame and boring ride. If it was only lame and boring, I would have many rides that would top it (Ninga @ Six Flags St. Louis comes to mind). That isn't the only problem though. Shockwave is EXTREMELY PAINFUL! I cannot tell you how much pain this ride causes. It is a stand-up TOGO coaster that shouldn't exist. There has been 2 times when someone has freed themselves from the restraints, one resulting in death. There have not been any changes made to the ride.

RCDB | Wiki

TOGO's are notorious for being terrible coasters. I've never been on Shockwave and will never go on it. The worst coaster I've ever been on is Gwazi. I'm not a wooden coaster guy but I think GCI's are supposed to be good. If that's a good woodie, that explains why I'm not a fan of them.

I hate to say this, but the worst ride I've ever been on was Drachen Fire. It was way to painful. I came off with what felt like whiplash. It was a poor design and I was really glad when Busch removed it.

Chris said:
TOGO's are notorious for being terrible coasters. I've never been on Shockwave and will never go on it. The worst coaster I've ever been on is Gwazi. I'm not a wooden coaster guy but I think GCI's are supposed to be good. If that's a good woodie, that explains why I'm not a fan of them.

I'm not a huge fan of woodies either, but I don't dislike them. I've never been on Gwazi, but from what I've heard, it is not a good ride. I've been on all of the woodies at KD and non of them where anything to call home about, but Grizzly isn't to bad. I'll most likely be going to Holiday World next year and after that, I should be able to determine weather I like woodies or not. Also, something else I should say about Shockwave, there is airtime on it. Look at the train and tell me if that looks like I should have airtime.

Attachments

• Shockwave.jpg
    Shockwave.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 39
That's such a terrible harness system. The lead designer at TOGO must have been the CEO's 5 year old playing with LEGOs.

Shockwave was the first ever standup coaster. Yes, it is horrible and easily one of the worst I've ever been on. All standups are painful.

Drachen Fire is also one of the worst.

Borg, er, whatever the heck it's called now at Carowinds isn't so great. I don't like the restraint system and they wouldn't let me ride with my glasses on.

Reactions: Trfa63
If Shockwave was the first stand-up, I would give it a pass. The only problem is, it isn't (or anything near that). From wiki:

"The first stand-up roller coasters in the world were actually built as standard roller coasters. Japanese manufacturer TOGO built Momonga Standing & Loop Coaster in 1979 for Yomiuri Land in Tokyo, Japan. Three years later, TOGO built Dangai at the former Thrill Valley amusement park in Gotemba, Shizuoka, Japan. Both rides added stand-up trains in 1982, with Dangai opening one day before Momonga Standing & Loop Coaster.

The first stand-up roller coaster in the United States was, like the Japanese roller coasters before it, a modified attraction. Arrow Dynamics built one of its signature corkscrew roller coasters, named Screamroller, at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri in 1976. In 1983, Arrow designed a stand-up train for the attraction, which was subsequently renamed Extremeroller (also known as EXT). However, the track and structure were never designed for stand-up trains, and the original sit-down trains were reinstalled in 1984, remaining in place until the attraction was removed in 1988.

The 1984 season saw two stand-up roller coasters open in the United States. One was, like Extremeroller, yet another retrofit. The River King Mine Train was an Arrow-built roller coaster that opened with its park, Six Flags St. Louis, in 1971. Stand-up trains were added for 1984, and the attraction's name was changed to Rail Blazer. However, like Extremeroller the season before, the track wasn't intended to use stand-up trains and, prior to the start of the 1985 season, the original trains and name were restored. Also in 1984, 350 miles east of Six Flags St. Louis, Kings Island at Mason, Ohio opened the TOGO-designed King Cobra as the world's first purpose-built stand-up roller coaster. The attraction operated from 1984 to 2001.

The last new stand-up roller coaster to be constructed was Georgia Scorcher at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1999. In 2005, Batman: The Escape at the now-defunct Six Flags Astroworld was disassembled and placed in storage at Darien Lake."

I have ridden The River King Mine Train, and I cannot believe that it once had stand-up trains (it is a pretty low-rated ride for me too). I should also say that there where 2 other clones made of Shockwave. Both have been closed. The same thing needs to happen at KD... RIGHT NOW.

I've ridden Georgia Scorcher. It's actually not the worst of the standups. The one at Cedar Point is horrible, mostly because it is so long. And yes, Shockwave needs to close, like ten years ago.

The Shockwave was awful. I only rode it once, but I was having these weird issues with my jaw at the time and it slammed my head around so bad it felt like someone was punching me. I was in tears the whole time. (Only ride to every make me cry, so I guess that would make it the worst.)

I agree with Shockwave... it is named after what the doctors tell you have in you neck after riding the darn thing. There was one time; and i do not kid... that I was securing my harness when the attendant went through checking harnesses. I saw that this little girl was trying to lift the harness as it was locked and was actually standing OUTSIDE her harness trying to figure it out; when the attendant signaled the all clear and the ride started taking off. I SCREAMED at the top of my longs to STOP STOP!!!!!!!!

They stopped and asked me what was wrong, to which I pointed to the little girl and they looked like they just peed their pants. :mad:

:dodgy: Geeze... all that and the poor kid probably has a neck brace on today after that ride.

I kind of wish I had ridden Shockwave the one time I went to KD to experience the pain. I feel kind of left out. And yes, you read that correctly, I've been to KD one time, and will not be returning. BG spoiled me and turned me into a theme park snob at a very young age.

Reactions: Mad Ludwig
AandA8104 said:
I hate to say this, but the worst ride I've ever been on was Drachen Fire. It was way to painful. I came off with what felt like whiplash. It was a poor design and I was really glad when Busch removed it.

The thing about that ride was that if you can imagine a world where the cars were overhauled with a sort of "b&m touch" that ride would have been a good medium level coaster, great for those kids that are too short for the great rides Alpengeist, and apollo.

Yoshi said:
I....have...never..ridden..a bad ride

Is that because you haven't gone on many rides, or because you think every ride has something good about it?

Chris said:
Yoshi said:
I....have...never..ridden..a bad ride

Is that because you haven't gone on many rides, or because you think every ride has something good about it?

Also, I worded the title/question the way I did for a reason. I asked what the WORST ride that you have been on is. Your least-favorite ride doesn't have to be a bad ride.

I would have to say the worst ride I've ridden was a ride called Poison Ivy, or something like that at Six Flags New England. It was so short, and you had no idea what ever was going on it went so fast.

Grizzly at Kings Dominion, or Pegasus at Mt. Olympus in Wisconsin Dells. I rode Grizzly two summers ago (2008 to be exact) and I believe it wasn't reprofiled till this season. It was brutal. I was tossed side to side and I didn't think I was going to make it. As for Pegasus, the ride may look like a small wooden coasters for kids, but that thing wasn't any better than Grizzly. I was suprised at how bad the ride was.

Probably the worst ride I have ridden, and I did ride the Drachen Fire many times and the Shockwave, is the High Roller on top of the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas. I know it's a roller coaster on top of a tower, but I was bored out of my mind. It circled the tower 4 times, I think, but I wished it had stopped after the first. The view was ok though.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad