Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 17, 2017
I know there’s a youtube video discussing this but the fact that only four B&M hypers came with this train design ruffles my brain cells. The thing I wonder is why didn’t Cedar Fair and PortAventura use the four across seating on their hypers, and when B&M got to gigas they could use the staggered seating on them. With B&M gigas at a larger scale than hypers, I think the staggered trains wouldn’t have to deal with as many tight elements. Additionally with staggering used exclusively for B&M gigas, they could - MAYBE- market it as an individual product separate from the hyper model due to the different train design. Of course I am not a marketing expert and I know that some dive coasters have different numbers of seats per row, but that’s literally what that is instead of seating arrangement.

I know there’s a youtube video discussing this but the fact that only four B&M hypers came with this train design ruffles my brain cells. The thing I wonder is why didn’t Cedar Fair and PortAventura use the four across seating on their hypers, and when B&M got to gigas they could use the staggered seating on them. With B&M gigas at a larger scale than hypers, I think the staggered trains wouldn’t have to deal with as many tight elements. Additionally with staggering used exclusively for B&M gigas, they could - MAYBE- market it as an individual product separate from the hyper model due to the different train design. Of course I am not a marketing expert and I know that some dive coasters have different numbers of seats per row, but that’s literally what that is instead of seating arrangement.
I think it has more to do with space and capacity. Diamondback has the equivalent of 6 rows of 4, where as most other rides have 8 or 9. Those 6 take up just as much, if not more space, than the 9 row trains, therefore adding to the cost of the ride, while not having as much throughput. It also adds to the length of maintenance bays, transfer tracks, etc, also adding to cost while not getting quite as much capacity. I would assume they are cheaper for the trains, since they would have the same number of parts as a 6 row train, but I guess that isn't appealing to as many parks as B&M hoped. It probably had all with what each park wanted.

They aren’t great trains. The two back riders basically ride alone. They are ugly as well.

I believe Cedar Fair used them as they had a master plan for B&M 300 ft coasters at those parks, and they make the 200 ft coasters slightly different

Cedar Fair was really on a stadium seat kick for a good 10 years when Millennium Force was built. I think once Intimidator got built all the parks that really could've benefited from a Hyper either already had one or in KD's case built a giga coaster instead. It says quite a bit that Cedar Fair was the only company stupid willing enough to buy them in the United States. Hell the only other park willing enough to at least try it out was Port Aventura in Spain.

I don't think at all that it was any sort of long term plan to also build Gigas alongside them because during the construction phase of those rides Cedar Fair still had a functioning relationship with Intamin. It wasn't until 2013 when things truly soured for them.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad