Weight loss

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Mar 16, 2016
So I've got added motivation now - if I lose 50 by next December, my mom will pay for invisiline for me (I really need braces for the 3rd time, thank you TMJ and being the 1% of males that get it!!), 20 by April 1st for my BGW pass.

So, I'm going to post updates here at the start of each month as a way to keep myself accountable. Dec 1st was the "1st day" of my challenge. Current weight is 264.

Since then, I've mostly had lunches at Whole Foods. I'm starting to find healthy options I like. I tend to do a little pulled pork, build a small salad, and a San Pelligregio Blood Orange water. I don't put sugar in my coffee anymore (still use my French Vanilla creamer). I'm going to ween myself off soda, so I busted out my Sodastream and got some flavors to add. I used my Instant Pot and I made some Korean BBQ Meatballs for dinners, which I usually come home and quick cook some rice or quinoa. Changed breakfast from an egg sandwich, pop tarts, or McD's to Greek Yogurt with granola mixed in and some form of fresh fruit.

Exercise wise, I got a membership to Orange Theory; and instead of walking my dog 1 loop 2x a day of the trail here (about 3/4 a mile), I'm doubling the loop on each walk. I think I'm going to ease myself into the OT workouts, as I know they are intense.

Some extra personal hurdles to keep in mind (if anyone has suggestions to help out, I'm all ears!!) -
If I focus too much on weight lifting I tend to bulk and not really drop fat. I work 4 9+ hour days a week, so there are 2 10 hour days where I got to have a shorter burst workout. I have a severe back injury (Th12, L1, L2 have a total of 9 cracks; 2 damaged disks; 1 dislocated nerve) that does have an effect on my ability to exercise my core to a certain extent. Given I'm a golf professional, I'm looking forward to warmer weather, as I got a membership to a course for myself, and a push cart, so I plan on walking a lot of rounds. Walking a round is about 5 miles, plus the swinging, so burn an average of 800-1100 calories.

Ryan

Resident of Mad King Ludwig's Castle
Feb 8, 2018
North Carolina
Sidenote: Invisalign is great, have had it for about 5 weeks. It might be weird when you start but it feels natural once you do it for a long enough time.

Apr 4, 2019
Just wanted to add my two cents on the weight loss topic. Ever since I was 17, I have had issues with weight loss and gaining it back. I used to be an athlete in school, then gained a bunch of weight, then lost it, then did P90X and built muscle, then gained 40 lb after getting hurt playing football with friends in college and losing motivation, lost 20 lb, and then gained most of it back, and now I’m working out 4-5 days/week and dropping the weight again.

That’s a picture of how my weight has fluctuated for almost 10 years. The one common denominator that I’ve found in weight loss is this: exercise. Diet is important in trimming belly fat and preventing future health issues associated with unhealthy eating habits. However, exercise is crucial to sustainable weight loss and better health overall.

The reason is because our bodies have what’s called a basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is essentially how our bodies adjust to the calories consume and the calories we need. Without exercise, dieting alone will cause your BMR to plateau, and as soon as you stray from a strict caloric intake that you’ve kept for awhile, you’ll start to gain weight (primarily, fat). Exercising keeps your BMR from becoming fixed and reducing the likelihood of gaining weight (unless your diet is horrible while you’re working out). Additionally, exercise also promotes burning calories outside of your specific exercise time, thus increasing your metabolism and promoting the loss of fat. I can speak from personal experience how dieting alone eventually failed, but for those who have an EXTREME dietary discipline, it could potentially work (though long-term issues relating to muscle wasting can occur through a lack of exercise). However, exercise (even though it’s not fun at times), has been proven through research to be the key to better overall health.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to chip in here since this is an area I’ve had a lot of personal experience with. Plus, it’s science-related, so I’m all about it haha

Apr 22, 2019
I'm trying to lose some weight by making small changes. Like instead of having a beer with dinner each night, my wife and I are sharing one beer. So I still get to enjoy some beer, but half the calories. I'm also trying not to snack so much at night. That one is a lot harder for me to stop it seems....

Reactions: BGWnut
Apr 22, 2019
Hope everyone is doing ok through this crazy time. There are some silver linings for me from covid-19. I have been able to telework and it’s been kind of a revelation. And one positive side-effect is I’m eating much better and losing weight. Since March 9th I’m down 7.8 pounds and it’s been fairly consistent, not all of a sudden.

No fast food at all, and drinking even more seltzer instead of sugary alternatives has been making a difference.For a while I’ve been having black coffee instead of sugar and cream, and that has continued. I’m also often sharing a beer with my wife instead of having my own. In combination it’s helping me lose weight.

Feb 14, 2019
Silver lining indeed, congratulations!

I don't know if the working from home situation is having the same effect because now I'm free to graze on all the things in my kitchen... But I don't think I've ever tried to do some kind of exercise daily either.

Reactions: Crunchewy
Apr 22, 2019
Silver lining indeed, congratulations!

I don't know if the working from home situation is having the same effect because now I'm free to graze on all the things in my kitchen... But I don't think I've ever tried to do some kind of exercise daily either.
For me I think it’s mostly the lack of fast food. It was too easy and quick to run out to a fast food place for lunch on work days. It was an escape from the stress of the office.Teleworking, my stress is down, and of course I’m not going to fast food places anyway because of the virus.

I’ve talked to my boss and she is going to approve as many telework days a week as allowed once this situation is over with. I’ve not only been less stressed working at home, but I’ve been way more productive. For some others this hasn’t been the case at all, but for me it really has been a revelation.

Mar 16, 2016
I’ve been dropping some too. I’m finding it interesting that I’m snaking far less. At work I hide snacks everywhere and when I got downtime I snack. Working from home, I’m finding myself walking the dog, doing laundry, cleaning, or just flat out doing something else.

Apr 22, 2019
Is it helpful to weigh yourself every day or can that just be discouraging? I think maybe it is potentially discouraging so I'm trying to just weigh myself once a week. Then I hopefully mostly see progress. Maybe I'm fooling myself. Tomorrow is weight day. I get nervous about what it's going to show....

Reactions: lightninlady
Mar 16, 2016
Is it helpful to weigh yourself every day or can that just be discouraging? I think maybe it is potentially discouraging so I'm trying to just weigh myself once a week. Then I hopefully mostly see progress. Maybe I'm fooling myself. Tomorrow is weight day. I get nervous about what it's going to show....
I tend to do every 2 weeks. Weight can fluctuate day to day. So for me, when I have a day that my water weight is higher or anything like that, day to day weigh ins bug me out when I'm a touch heavier. But everyone's psychology on what's encouraging is different. I know people that love to weigh in daily. Some every 5 days, some once a month. You got to find what works for you and stick to that style.

My reasoning for 2 weeks is trying to maintain a consistent loss curve. Don't want to drop too much at once. I've found it's also a good way for me to continually tweak my workout/eating/drinking habits to keep moving. Like I replaced sodas with sports drinks, and despite the near even sugar exchange, I found it works and I don't miss the kick from caffeine. I found I don't lose as much when I cut carbs or read meat. Potatoes and rice is more about portion control as opposed to one over the other. High sugar fruits don't help me. So constant experimenting between the weigh ins can help too.

Reactions: Crunchewy
Apr 22, 2019
I've cut out red meat. This wasn't really for weight loss, but if it helps me lose weight that's good. For meat I have chicken, turkey, tunafish, stuff like that. Otherwise I'm often eating vegetarian and sometimes vegan dishes, though I'm neither of those things. I replaced ground beef in spaghetti sauce with Gardein Beefless Ground, which I find is a more than adequate substitute and as a bonus it's not messy at all, is easier and quicker to prepare (doesn't require cooking in a frying pan, just stir it into the sauce when there's 3-4 minutes to go on the pasta) and it's cheaper than ground beef too.

Reactions: Zachary and warfelg
Apr 22, 2019
So my anxiety about weighing myself Saturday was justified. I gained some weight compared to the prior week. I suppose this will naturally go up and down but hopefully still trend down, but I can't say I wasn't pretty disappointed/depressed about it.

Reactions: violetfemme
Aug 7, 2013
During lockdown (March to June in my state), my wife and I started eating Keto. A large part of the reason was that I was tired of not being able to ride roller coasters. It paid off!! On Thursday night I rode Apollo for the first time in 20 years and it was better than I remembered. Also rode Tempesto for the first time. I know it gets a lot of guff, but I really enjoyed it.

Still cant quite fit on FF, but this gives me something else to work towards. Just had to share with people who would get it. 😄

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
Protip I’ve learned for Finnegan’s Flyer: Don’t sit all the way down in the seat. Make sure your back is against the backrest and your legs are making full contact with the front part of the seat, but let your butt stay floating well above the deepest part of the seat. There’s an indent in the backrest that you can sorta sit in to make it work. This will allow the restraint to sit more on your waist and lap than directly on your stomach—allowing the restraint to come down a lot further in my experience. Give it a shot in the test seat and see if it works for you!

Last edited:

Gavin

It’s me, a ParkFan.
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Down 20lbs since I started working at the post office. I guess all that walking is good for something.

Protip I’ve learned for Finnegan’s Flyer: Don’t sit all the way down in the seat. Make sure your back is against the backrest and your legs are making full contact with the front part of the seat, but let your butt stay floating well above the deepest part of the seat. There’s an indent in the backrest that you can sorta sit in to make it work. This will allow the restraint to sit more on your waist and lap than directly on your stomach—allowing the restraint to come down a lot further in my experience. Give it a shot in the test seat and see if it works for you!
I can confirm that this works actually really well.

Mar 16, 2016
Since my work changed locations I’ve joined planet fitness next to us and have gone daily to the gym. Additionally most my meals have been salads at Publix or a sandwich from The Chicken Salad Chick.

I’ve been doing 30+ flights on the stair master daily as well as some Sort of lifting.

Mar 16, 2016
Since my work changed locations I’ve joined planet fitness next to us and have gone daily to the gym. Additionally most my meals have been salads at Publix or a sandwich from The Chicken Salad Chick.

I’ve been doing 30+ flights on the stair master daily as well as some Sort of lifting.
And as I re-read this I'm having pizza for dinner :(

Login or Register to Hide This Ad