Weight loss

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Mar 16, 2016
So, I didn't see a thread on here for this. (By all means if there is one move this there)

Where are you in relations to goals? What's some go to lunches to help you? What's some of your activities? Do you prefer going alone or with an accountability partner?

Reactions: The Quist

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Personally a fitness tracker has been a huge help to me especially that many are showing you how you compare to others at least for me it's a huge motivator.

Aug 19, 2013
I stopped eating late at night and added strength training to my cardio. I noticed without the strength training, my weight would start to increase easily if I missed some days of cardio. Might just be in my head though. I have lost about 50 pounds. But it wasn’t overnight. I just had to keep going. Took me about 6-7 months. I will also say the fitness trackers on my Apple Watch helped as well.
ETA: I also switched from skipping lunch and breakfast entirely to having cereal for breakfast and just a protein shake for lunch.

Reactions: The Quist and Pink
Jun 13, 2011
I'd recommend using the app MyFitnessPal and setting yourself at a caloric deficit (burn more daily than you eat). The app will help set what your daily goal should be and you can use it to track your food intake. \
Also, I recommend 30+ minutes of cardio daily. Can just be walking but you need your heart rate above resting state and that will help with the extra burn. That combined with a natural deficit does wonders.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
sadly Like a moron I let a short term knee issue stop my running ritual. Since then I have been unable to get back on the wagon. (also some of my motivation went away). Regardless, I have put on a great deal of weight since and am actually back to where I was just before surgery. I am now trying to regain motivation.

Reactions: warfelg
Mar 16, 2016
sadly Like a moron I let a short term knee issue stop my running ritual. Since then I have been unable to get back on the wagon. (also some of my motivation went away). Regardless, I have put on a great deal of weight since and am actually back to where I was just before surgery. I am now trying to regain motivation.
Im somewhat in the same area.

My personal big issue is I need an accountability partner. I think it would really help me to find someone near by to trade off cooking with. I did great in college when two roommates were doing the same, and we would each cook something healthy two nights a week. My absolute hardest part is the meals.

Reactions: BGWnut
Aug 11, 2018
Keto makes me lose weight like gangbusters, and I can put up with the no sugar, low carb stuff pretty well for 4-8 weeks. The problem is that I never eat healthy after stopping, because I enjoy being able to eat all that junk again. I have a feeling that if I did a good stretch of Keto, then ate responsibly, I would have excellent results.

Sep 8, 2019
I use intermittent fasting. I know it is kind of a fad at the moment, but it works. I use the app called Zero to track my fasting time. I fast 16 hours and have an 8 eating window. Or if you aren't up for fasting use the MyFittnessPal app to track calories, it is amazing how visually seeing a running calorie count will help you make good choices.

Feb 3, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
I did Whole30 over the summer, and have continued to use it as a guideline for my diet. I'm single, live alone and do a good amount of freelance work, so I was constantly eating fast food/junk from convenience stores. Cut out all fast food and soda, and if I'm on the go and need food I go to Zoe's or Chipotle instead of Wendy's/McD's/etc. Wegman's salad bar has been a godsend, I probably eat 5-7 meals there per week. I play ice hockey once or twice a week, but don't go to the gym or do much exercise outside of that and have lost 70 pounds since May.

The Quist

The Ghastly Grinner messed me UP as a kid
Sep 7, 2018
As a former competitive strength athlete, I have spent years with my weight fluctuating. There are so many weight loss programs and everyone responds differently. For me, intermittent fasting worked wonders to shed fat, and keto did nothing for me. That said, I have talked to hundreds of people who have had the exact opposite affect.

I think the best plan is to simply eat less and move more. And by eat less, I mean less junk. Unless you are me. I work best when fueled with donuts and cotton candy.

With training, you will see better results if you add resistance or weights into the mix but it seems like that intimidates a lot of people. Honestly the best exercise is the one you'll do. If you don't enjoy it, you won't stick with it. Same with food - find healthy options you like to eat and for those not so healthy options, don't eat as much or as often.

Apr 22, 2019
Would eating more vegan and vegetarian food help me lose weight? On the one hand I can see the answer being yes because more vegetables, and on the other hand when I eat vegan/vegetarian, I have to eat a lot more food to feel filled up and then I don't really stay feeling filled up for very long.

I'm doing this either way because I'm trying to eat less meat for other reasons (while not going full-blown non-meat). Just wonder if it will help me lose weight or not.

The Quist

Sep 7, 2018
Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) lost over 100 lbs by switching to a completely vegan diet, so it is certainly possible. I would make sure to get plenty of plant based proteins if you go that route since protein has high thermic qualities. The act of digesting protein alone burns more calories than fats and carbs.

There are lots of unhealthy vegetarian foods out there, vegan gets less of that because of the absence of cheeses, butters etc. But those are also things that are beneficial. Raw veggies can also be tricky because certain ones can actually leach nutrients in order for your body to break them down properly.

All that said, no one has ever gotten fat eating fruits and vegetables. Then again, I doubt anyone has gotten fat eating chicken breast either.

Oct 18, 2012
You mean those strong weight-lifter shoulders? My daughter played basketball for years and has strong thighs liike Serena...but not as quite as muscular because she didn't train nearly as hard. One person's large is another's strong.....and attractive.

The Quist

Sep 7, 2018
I appreciate you saying that, though it is something I struggled with for a long time. Getting big and strong to overcompensate for my lack of masculinity had an unfortunate side affect and became a security blanket of sorts. Even though I hated the way I looked, I was also afraid to lose it because it made me feel safe. Eventually I had to just let go of that and know that I would be okay.

I still struggle with it and I have had to learn to lift and train a completely different way. But I was also able to break out of my ego and ultimately feel a lot more comfortable with myself.

Mar 16, 2016
So the challenge has been put forth:

Between now and April 1st, if I can lose 20 LB's, my mom will pay for my 2020 BGW Membership.

Help!

Aug 23, 2017
3500 cal/lb. Run the math and you got it. I do well min maxing. I’ll eat ~1200 cals eating eggs for breakfast and drinking water all day then a lean meat like chicken, an 8oz top sirloin or pork chop and veggies for dinner, skip the starch. That gives you room to splurge for one day if you want.

The biggest thing for me is not being too restrictive for too long

Login or Register to Hide This Ad