Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Close the Park

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a rail...it doesn't even have to a classic monorail. It could be a train or tram. Basically, it's a 4 mile shot by the existing roads. That could be shortened quite a bit by moving in a straight line. However, without a tie-in retheme, I don't know how viable this is as an idea. Either way, it would be most effective with the addition of a resort hotel.

There are two golf courses within short distance, and Colonial Williamsburg is also an extremely popular (although unaffiliated) attraction. The entire area could be treated more effectively as a single resort than it currently is.

Probably, the reluctance is that the vast majority of park goers are still locals...it is not a destination in the way that Orlando is. Now, the argument would probably come up as to which of these phenomena is causing the other. Is it not a destination because they don't treat it as one, and therefor lack the kind of infrastructure destination vacationers would expect, or do they not build the infrastructure because they know it would be a waste of money since people would not come to Williamsburg from somewhere like Omaha, anyway, even given the proper facilities.

I tend to believe the old adage "if you build it, they will come." I also think the park and the area has a unique position for vacationers, because of two things:

In the first place, it may offer a quieter, less expensive vacation than Orlando, because it is not in the universal center of all things kitch and vacationy, and in the second place, Virginia offers a history-centered concept, as opposed to one centered on TV and media characters/personalities, which is certain to be an attracting premise to at least some potential visitors (Obviously, how media-centered Disney parks actually are is a cause for some debate...but I think it would be hard to argue that the average Indiana or North Dakota native doesn't immediately associate the entirety of Walt Disney World with Tinkerbell and Mickey Mouse, regardless of the various parks' actual offerings).

A shut-down-for-re-theme at WCUSA would be a good idea, in my view, only so long as they were doing it for the right reasons.

Doc Dollars said:
In the first place, it may offer a quieter, less expensive vacation than Orlando, because it is not in the universal center of all things kitch and vacationy, and in the second place, Virginia offers a history-centered concept, as opposed to one centered on TV and media characters/personalities, which is certain to be an attracting premise to at least some potential visitors (Obviously, how media-centered Disney parks actually are is a cause for some debate...but I think it would be hard to argue that the average Indiana or North Dakota native doesn't immediately associate the entirety of Walt Disney World with Tinkerbell and Mickey Mouse, regardless of the various parks' actual offerings).

A shut-down-for-re-theme at WCUSA would be a good idea, in my view, only so long as they were doing it for the right reasons.

Excellent point, sir! Orlando is what it is due to near open building regulations and code on what buildings and businesses could look like. Take a look at 192, 535, IDrive, etc outside of Disney property. All of that is what partly (I use that loosely) makes it a destination as bad as it sounds. We all know that would NEVER happen in JCC or Burg. I think everyone will note WDW immediately to the FabFive and Princesses as you said with complete disregard to Lucas, Pixar, and animals.

WCUSA needs to level RnRoll Island and make a tropical feeling lazy river around the entire park. I have been to hotels with a bigger lazy river than WCUSA has.

Reactions: Sky

What it needs is a rapids river like what atlantis haves (the resort not the mod obviously) I think schlittrban has something similar as well. More like an exciting version of a lazy river.

Somewhat, but like a real white water river that goes all away around the park. Anyone ever been to Atlantis? My friend said the white water river was really different than hubba hubba highway

I've been to Atlantis. Don't remember the lazy river though. I did that giant freakin' slide. And a lot of drinking. And a lot of gambling.

What about Roman Rapids at WCUSA? Is that what your saying Smitty? Because I feel like it is?

what i meant was like a river with tubes that has rapids in it. there is one in schlitterbahn waterpark and the water park at atlantis. but i think zachary's right, its too similar to hubba hubba highway

This thread has prompted some interesting ideas. I really hadn't thought about it, but WCUSA could use some love. Some kind of rail/transport between the parks would be very nice. Park hopper or even something like, stay til close at WCUSA and go over to BGW for the end of the day free or something similar -- or just keep WCUSA open a little later. I've often wished it didn't close so early in the day.

You should be able to. Just edit the first post and change the title. Probably a good idea.

With the huge expansion planned, I think while expanding they will also focus on bringing back the same theme, but highlighting it.

Edited ;)

I think Doc Money has it right:
Doc Dollars said:
I'd like to see a temporary shut down for a complete retheme. I'm thinking that, in keeping with the whole Old Europe vibe, they do it up like a Caribbean European colony from the 17th/18th century....like the time period in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. You've got the tropical, you've got the European, it ties in with Colonial Williamsburg, it ties in with Busch Gardens. Can't miss.

Also, I'd like to see a monorail connecting the parks if we're getting a retheme shut down.
There is so much that could be done with this. A whole new name and a whole new theme; basically do what SWeetPEa (SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment) did with the San Antonio Water Park but on a much larger scale. Add in some animal encounters. Also can you imagine a large European Caribbean themed resort hotel with a monorail station in it that connects to WCUSA/Aquatica Willaimsburg, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and eventually Discovery Village and SeaWorld Williamsburg?

If they don't try and reboot the 50s/60s surf theme in the next 2-3 years (isn't the 10 year expansion supposed to start around that time frame?) then I can really look forward to a reboot in WCUSA's theme. I'll be honest, I think a retheme is more possible than keeping the Americana theme, the 50-60's theme went away the second they started playing newer music so it's Americana themeing in my mind.

Reactions: Ben
with this expansion planned does anyone think some rides are on the chopping block? if anything goes my guess would be jet scream. it'really old and never has a huge wait.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad