Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jahrules

Possibly the 1-millionth Pantheon thread viewer.
Advisory Panel
Feb 3, 2019
This is important for those who are saying 'wcusa' doesn't need to expand.

The park hitting capacity and having to turn people away is a sure sign that there is a market for expansion.

Reactions: tursiops and jornor
Of course it's only one data point, but ideally a park wouldn't want to have to turn people away ever.

Yes, it was a holiday weekend; but it's also only May...

I wonder what their historical attendance for this weekend is. Does anyone ever know of them hitting cap in May previously?

This was reported at 2 PM on Sunday!

Reactions: jornor
I would say the combination of holiday weekend, increased visitors to the area (LPGA/Memorial Day/Proximity to Jamestown&Yorktown), plus high heat had a bigger impact than anything. I wouldn't say that a Memorial Day max capacity situation is the marker for expansion time.

I would say the combination of holiday weekend, increased visitors to the area (LPGA/Memorial Day/Proximity to Jamestown&Yorktown), plus high heat had a bigger impact than anything. I wouldn't say that a Memorial Day max capacity situation is the marker for expansion time.

I think it's just something to keep an eye on as we get into June/July. If they keep hitting cap regularly, then we'll have a better idea.

This is something that happens a few times during the year, I remember a few years back they were hitting capacity once or twice a week. Water parks naturally have a lower attendance cap than amusement parks and on hotter days during the year most water parks experience higher than average attendance.

This is normal, and not something that's going to stop any time soon.

I was there on Sunday and it was quite crowded. The traffic to just get in to the park was backed up to the stoplight in front of Target and that was around 9:50 AM. I've gone before on the weekend and even when it's hot and that is the most crowded I've ever seen it.

This is something that happens a few times during the year, I remember a few years back they were hitting capacity once or twice a week. Water parks naturally have a lower attendance cap than amusement parks and on hotter days during the year most water parks experience higher than average attendance.

This is normal, and not something that's going to stop any time soon.

Up. There's always 'cheap' ways of opening up a park for a higher capacity, but the cost/benefit to it isn't that high.

Reactions: Zimmy
Around 11AM we were driving to the Outlets then BGW, the exit for WCUSA was backed up on the interstate. Also we could see the overpass traffic was a crawl. Silly me wanted to go after a few hours of BGW.

I heard, but don't have actual proof, that the entrance was backing up on to 199 at 830. From all accounts it was an unusually busy day!

I've been reading a lot of reports of WCUSA being at/near capacity lately.

Last week I put it down to the holiday week.. but today, I'm hearing they're down to the last two sections of the parking lot...

On a random non-holiday weekday.

Amazing.

Reactions: tursiops
They usually hit it fairly often this time of season especially with the heat we have had lately.

Reactions: Zachary
Yes it's not uncommon for WCUSA to be near parking capacity on Saturdays during the summer. Personally I think they need to work on expanding parking before doing much else.

Reactions: Zachary
Yes it's not uncommon for WCUSA to be near parking capacity on Saturdays during the summer. Personally I think they need to work on expanding parking before doing much else.

Yeah, but on a Wednesday?

+1 to the parking lot expansion.. but I think the park is well aware of this.

I heard that they have been "suggesting" to people they could park at Target and walk to WCUSA.

I imagine Target is not going to put up with that for long.

I know people can set up a carpool there, there's an enormous lot that barely gets used - just park on the outer edges away from the store.

If I'm not mistaken, when Busch sold off the land and it was developed, there were plans to make it a much larger shopping center with other things there but it got scrapped... Not 100% ok the details but I think it was a county and/or money issue.

Yeah, but on a Wednesday?

Expect the park to reach capacity any day of the week during this time of year. I've been on a Monday and Tuesday in the middle of July where the park was full before noon.

I heard that they have been "suggesting" to people they could park at Target and walk to WCUSA.

I've seen people do this. I was driving to DC one summer and I stopped at that Target to get some things and saw people parking there and the JC Penney lot and walking over.

Reactions: Nicole
on days with high anticipated attendance (around 10000) one section of the employees lot is marked off for guests. also, since actual employees need the other lot, guests are sometimes directed to park alongside the fence that borders big daddy falls. super frustrating for people who come in for later shifts because they are almost guaranteed not to be able to park in the lot due to it being full. i wholly agreee there should be atleast one more full lot added for guests.

Reactions: Nicole
This may be a silly question but on extremely hot days like we are going to have tomorrow and Sunday, what is the park's attendance like? I've only been twice and the family is considering it for tomorrow. Crowds + extreme heat may not be a good combo for some folks.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad